Caly Jr.Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

xceptnl wrote:I think the micarta issue revolves around trying to use it independent of a steel liner. Al Mar (to the best of my knowledge) amongst other mostly use them as scales that are superficially mounted to the liners.
I'm pretty sure that the lightweight series is just micarta, no liners....I could be wrong, just going from memory here.
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'm pretty sure that the lightweight series is just micarta, no liners....I could be wrong, just going from memory here.
You are correct. I was not up to date on my catalog reading. I also believe A.G. Russell have used their "rucarta" on some lightweight models.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

xceptnl wrote:Anything is possible with enough money and machining time. I would also like the fish scale pattern machined into some G-10, but will be happy with any material Sal chooses. I am secretly hoping it is a linerless design to keep true to it's roots.
Now... I think the fish scale pattern of the FRN is molded. I don't think G-10 is normally molded.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:Now... I think the fish scale pattern of the FRN is molded. I don't think G-10 is normally molded.
this is exactly what he meant. G10 can be machined to create fish scale patern, but this will be more expensive than peel-ply or polished finish.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:this is exactly what he meant. G10 can be machined to create fish scale patern, but this will be more expensive than peel-ply or polished finish.
That is what I meant. I would imaging full thickness peel-ply CF to be cheaper than the cost of milling any other material alone.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:I'm in for Red Polished G-10.

I don't see Deacon asking for bolsters without screws yet. :)
There's a reason for that. Much as I love smooth bolstered knives, I was trying to make the project more feasible, rather than more complex. My though was that polished G-10 might allow Spyderco to stay as close to the original micarta version as possible - unlined handle slabs and flush pins with the oversize pivot pin. I'd much rather see that than have it "tacticalized" like the large Calypso Sprint.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

A Caly Jr. sprint would be great! No matter what handle material it will have.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was thinking the Large Calypso sprint was "practicalized."
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:I was thinking the Large Calypso sprint was "practicalized."
I do not know how to call it. But I like sprint more than original. May be because both blades, which I had were worped. May be because I like liners.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'd really like to see them again do a textured diamond pattern like they used on the Forum Native 5 for this red-handled Caly Jr. sprint... Another Caly 3 or 3.5 sprint in this vein would also be most excellent, if they decide not to do a Caly Jr. (I do appreciate the jimping on the newer Caly's).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:I was thinking the Large Calypso sprint was "practicalized."
That works too but there are some things that just need to remain elevated above the purely functional. The C54 Calypso was one of them. The Sprint reduced it to being just a slight variant of the Police 3.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I'd really like to see them again do a textured diamond pattern like they used on the Forum Native 5 for this red-handled Caly Jr. sprint.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Deacon wrote:Know Sal has talked of stability issues with micarta. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but if that's the issue with the Calypso Jr Sprint, I'd be happy with polished G-10 and even happier if it was red, like the Schempp Persian Sprint.
I absolutely love linerless pinned Micarta scales because of the light weight, thinness, and feel of the material. However, I did have one of my original Goddard Jr. knives become unusable after the micarta warped a few years after I purchased it. A trip to the SFO didn't fix the problem.

I think I recall Sal saying something about them having production problems related to tapping the clip screws directly into the Micarta. I could me mistaken, however...

The Caly Jr. is probably my all-time favorite Spydie model. I'd love to see a new sprint!

TedP
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Deacon wrote: :eek: :eek: :eek: Image
Hi Paul, I've been trying to figure out what you were going for with your response since you posted it. Did you take what I said about using that textured G10 pattern as a good thing or a bad thing (the barfing leads me to think not so good...)? I thought it looked pretty nice...

Cheers whichever way! Another Paul (one with a much less cool collection than yours ;) )
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King