Any Bicyclists Out There

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Per-Sev

Any Bicyclists Out There

Post by Per-Sev »

I just bought this Trek 7.3 for cruising around Florida. I am just getting back into it after a long rest from cycling and a work injury and was just curious if anyone else likes riding on here. If so post a pic of your ride, if your close to Jacksonville maybe we could start a ride, I live right next to a nice paved trail called The Black Creek Trail its about 10 miles one way and of course there is also the beach and lots of nice scenery. I also have a set of rollers for those rainy days.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I'm more a downhill/mountain biker than road, though I do have an old Trek Antelope that I use as a commuter occasionally. Unfortunately, I'm out in CA so no chance we could get together for a ride unless you want to do a long warm-up :p I can't find pics of my commuter at the moment, although I found my mtb.

Here's my downhill setup.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Yea it might be a long ride. I like your bike I always wanted to try a down hill bike but when I was in Michigan there was not many big hills and in Florida there are even less.
balew6254

Post by balew6254 »

Sweet Brooks saddle on your new ride, enjoy!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

balew6254 wrote:Sweet Brooks saddle on your new ride, enjoy!
Thanks that was the first upgrade I did, its the only seat that I have used that I don't need the padded bike shorts.
balew6254

Post by balew6254 »

My favorite saddle, I have them on all my bicycles. You are right about not needing padded shorts with them. It's counter intuitive how comfortable a hard leather saddle is on a bicycle. Guess most folks don't know about how hard the leather is on horse saddles. They are great after break in. You need to come to Colorado and ride some of our hills!

I am back on my bikes after a knee replacement in late April. Working back up to 100 miles a week. At around 77 miles last week, I should be there in a few weeks. I ride mostly roads and bike paths with an occasional easy single track or double track on my mountain bike.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Sounds good, I doubt I could keep up right now especially in the mountains out there. I use to ride a lot before I was injured at work in 2000, my last year of riding I rode 4000 miles in 3 months and I had not been on a bike since. So its a slow process now but I can still do 15 miles a few times a week, just not at the pace I use to.
Sounds like your doing great after your knee surgey I know it sucks having to start over I try to get up to my old pace and I am out of breath in less than a quarter mile. I know I will never get to where I was at but its still fun just cruising around seeing the sites.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep, for most of my life. Riding was my first love. I grew up riding BMX/freestyle/etc and still do some but not as extreme as I have a family to provide for now lol. I have a garage full of bikes.

My road bike, '81 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. Done quite a few 85 mile round trip cruises on this beast.

24 inch BMX, '10 FIT CR24

'95 GT Vertigo

'01 Haro Dave Mirra Pro

'86 General Bicycles Hustler Pro

'00 S&M Dirtbike Next Generation

'52 Schwinn bobber

Me jumping a pit of fire, circa '92 or so on a '84 Schwinn Predator

Me surfin on my Hustler Pro a few years ago
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Cool your quite the extreme daredevil. I never rode BMX but as a kid I always wanted to my dad would not get me a bike like that. Now I am way to big for a BMX. That's a sweet Voyageur I like the old school bikes with the down tube shifters, I was looking for one down here but it seems the used bikes here are all beat up or rusted so I gave up and bought the new Trek.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Nothing fancy, but here's my bike. Bought pretty cheap from a build-your-own-bike website (you know the one), the wheels, cog, chain, chainring/crankset are aftermarket, and since this picture was taken the pedals have gone clip-less. I mostly ride it on short in-town trips. if I rode it more I might put a nicer saddle and a new wheelset on.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

That's a nice clean looking bike, I bet it weighs nothing. After I upgraded the seat the pedals were my next upgrade also nothing like a nice set of clipless pedals. That looks like a very short wheelbase I bet it handles great.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Per-Sev wrote:That's a nice clean looking bike, I bet it weighs nothing. After I upgraded the seat the pedals were my next upgrade also nothing like a nice set of clipless pedals. That looks like a very short wheelbase I bet it handles great.
Thanks! Yea, the few benefits of track bikes are pretty much: lightness, efficiency, handling, ease of maintenance. The 46x17 ratio also makes for a real quick get up and go, if top speed is somewhat limited to by cadence. For a lot of other uses though, a nice road bike would take it. Especially with a Brooks saddle like yours!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Raced road bikes for a couple of years but as we lived on the north shore of Vancouver I just got more and more into mountain biking. I still ride the road but I find I spend most of my time in the hills. I have an all mountain bike (Speicalized Enduro pro carbon) and a down hill bike (Specialized Demo 7). The beginning of my season this year was great then came August and business was off the hook. I will be back on the trail again in the fall when it cools down a little.

Invective

Post by Invective »

DRKBC wrote:Raced road bikes for a couple of years but as we lived on the north shore of Vancouver I just got more and more into mountain biking. I still ride the road but I find I spend most of my time in the hills. I have an all mountain bike (Speicalized Enduro pro carbon) and a down hill bike (Specialized Demo 7). The beginning of my season this year was great then came August and business was off the hook. I will be back on the trail again in the fall when it cools down a little.

Oohhh that looks gorgeous! And the bike looks amazing too :p Me and my friends have all talked about going up to Canada to do some riding but never were able to all have time off or money at the same time. How're the trails up there? I've only ridden in NorCal, some in San Jose and a lot in Santa Cruz. Some great trails in Santa Cruz but I've heard Canada is even better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have always had the urge to get into mountain biking, but the Mrs. and the kids don't ride as well as I do and I'd be the only one enjoying myself or even making it through some of the trails around here so we stick to paved paths. There's a 75 mile paved path that stretches across most of Ohio that we ride on, that follows the Little Miami river for most of the trail. It's one of the most relaxing and beautiful places I've ever ridden. When you get up north far enough, the path goes through open uninhabited land. The trail is paved over an old railroad track so it cuts through some historic land.
~David
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

DRKBC wrote:Raced road bikes for a couple of years but as we lived on the north shore of Vancouver I just got more and more into mountain biking. I still ride the road but I find I spend most of my time in the hills. I have an all mountain bike (Speicalized Enduro pro carbon) and a down hill bike (Specialized Demo 7). The beginning of my season this year was great then came August and business was off the hook. I will be back on the trail again in the fall when it cools down a little.

Nice bike, I guess its fitting your pic is up side down because looking at the jump you have there I would be looking up on the ground if I tried that and all those rocks sitting there would have my name and blood on them. I had a Trek 9800 mountain bike but never did much off road with it I hated to get it dirty. Lol
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Evil D wrote:I have always had the urge to get into mountain biking, but the Mrs. and the kids don't ride as well as I do and I'd be the only one enjoying myself or even making it through some of the trails around here so we stick to paved paths. There's a 75 mile paved path that stretches across most of Ohio that we ride on, that follows the Little Miami river for most of the trail. It's one of the most relaxing and beautiful places I've ever ridden. When you get up north far enough, the path goes through open uninhabited land. The trail is paved over an old railroad track so it cuts through some historic land.
That sounds like a nice trail, there are quite a few here in Florida I live next to one but its not that long or scenic, there are nicer ones further away from me but I have not been on them yet my bad back likes to flare up and I am afraid to get far from home, there are some group rides on the trails that if I can get in better shape I might try.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Invective wrote:Oohhh that looks gorgeous! And the bike looks amazing too :p Me and my friends have all talked about going up to Canada to do some riding but never were able to all have time off or money at the same time. How're the trails up there? I've only ridden in NorCal, some in San Jose and a lot in Santa Cruz. Some great trails in Santa Cruz but I've heard Canada is even better.
Yes if you like riding it is absolutely amazing here. I am in the Okanagan now which is a different type of terrain than on the coast. We have some great cross country as well as an amazing bike park at silver star mountain.

Here is a video link to a great video that someone did of one of my favorite trails back in North Van (where I used to live). The trail is called lady's only and from my house it took me less than 45 minutes to get to this trail head and it is one of many on this mountain (Mt Fromme). I still miss North Vancouver but we have some great terrain here as well and I manage to get back to the coast most summers for a few rides.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/160859/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bump....scored this '87 Lotus Excelle at the local thrift store for dirt cheap. Cleaned it up and it rides like a new bike (had to put a new chain on it).

~David
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Been years since I've ridden. Unfortunately NYC is filled with so many radical jerks with diseased mentalities, that I don't want to be associated with those cyclists.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: