Here's a question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Here's a question

Post by Jazz »

Why,oh why is the best color (OD green) Endura and Delica only in combo edge? Can it not be plain edge? That's been bugging me since I first saw it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jazz,
I've wondered the same thing.
I would love to add them to my collection of green Spydercos, because the foliage and od scales are among my favorites.
The PS blades are the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Handle swap?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have wondered why the saber ground can't have a few cool colors and the FFG gets all the flavor
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

twinboysdad wrote:I have wondered why the saber ground can't have a few cool colors and the FFG gets all the flavor
Same here.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Dodge wrote:Handle swap?
+1 :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Delicas are the next thing on my want list, and as of now I plan to get a foliage green P/S flat saber grind and a brown FFG first. I may use them as second EDCs. I haven't got into primary colors yet, but I'm sure that'll come too. I would rather have olive drab, but can't find anything but Halpern mule scales in that color. Originally I avoided the P/S flat saber grind Delica but finally decided to get it because the serrations will come in handy opening packages, etc, and at this point, I'd like to try out as many different grinds and metal types as I can. And the brown FFG will be great for opening letters.

Until I got my mule scales in OD and ranger green, I didn't have much idea what these colors or foliage green would look like in either G-10 or FRN (nearest store with Spydercos is 50 miles away and I haven't made it over there in a few months.) A google image search for foliage green FRN brings up colors ranging from pale gray to dark gray, pale OD to dark OD, and white with a tinge of candy green. I'm just going to buy one to find out what it looks like :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don't want to swap, and be still stuck with a useless (to me) combo edge. Gorgeous color, though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Jazz wrote:I don't want to swap, and be still stuck with a useless (to me) combo edge. Gorgeous color, though.
You could always sell the extra after the swap. Someone out there must want it?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bengaiser wrote:You could always sell the extra after the swap. Someone out there must want it?
Yeah, I considered offering to buy it, but I just want one saber grind and I'll have to buy one to get the foliage green myself :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

this is really pretty easy, buy a saber E4 and the Foliage green CE E4. Blade swap. Sell the resulting BNIB CE black E4 since Spyderco makes them that way any way and it is not an odd ball Frankenspyder. Just be honest so the new owner doesn't get his box and see PE E4 and think you are a DB!
Pocket Lint

Post by Pocket Lint »

I remember hearing somewhere ( I think on nutnfancy, but dont quote me on this) that Sal keeps saber ground blades because they are still more robust then FFG. Personally, I don't really see what the big deal about full flat grind is for. Even though it has some desirable aspects over a non-ffg blade, one thing that I do not like about FFG blades is that it makes sharpening a little less easy on us guys who use hand sharpening systems like a Lansky sharpener.

With that being said, I do appreciate full flat ground blades for what they are for, but like others have said, it would be nice to offer blades with saber grinds a color range like their FFG counterparts.

PL
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

It's a pain and it does tend to give you a tool you don't want to use, but I did it anyway;

I use the blue/gray Emerson scales with the combo edge as a beater around the house knife. Works great for that.

I wanna do a Delica swap too but there are too many other items on my list before it right now.

I can dig a plain edge saber grind. I got one of the ZDP Delicas before they went ffg. Lovely knife.

I really, really want one of those blue ZDP Delicas.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Oh, you're not making this easy with your pics, Rwb1500. :o
- best wishes, Jazz.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Jazz wrote:Oh, you're not making this easy with your pics, Rwb1500. :o
Baha, I recommend a magnetic dish for all the little fiddly bits and a good memory of which parts go with which knife. Also;

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ica-4-Lego!

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Lego-Redux

You want the second link, although the first is good reading as well.

Wouter calls this process a " nice relaxing exercise". I would have used different terms, but to each his own. ;)
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I've really wanted an FFG Delica w/FG scales for a long time, too. I could do a blade swap but then I'd be stuck trying to sell a second knife with a combo saber grind (which very much isn't en vogue right now). When I saw Spyderco issue the black FRN Delica in FFG I had hopes the foliage green would shortly follow, but no such luck. :(
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe Sal can help us out. We need this manly color on a PE Delica - saber or FFG - I don't care.

Thanks for the links, Rwb1500. I've switched Delica blades before by only taking out the blades, and they fit the other lock bars just fine. Less parts to lose.
- best wishes, Jazz.