Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

c.joe wrote:Heart is broken.. we'll never have a Sage with a compression lock. Now lets shift our hopes to a smaller compression lock knife!
The re-release of the salsa should meet your needs.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
sal

Post by sal »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Why not talk to Ron Lake and built his version of the Rear Lock, i.e. Patent #3783509. I am sure that Spyderco and the Taichung factory would due this collaboration justice.

http://www.google.com/patents/US3783509 ... CDUQ6wEwAA
Thanx much Brian, that's a good idea, assuming he's interested?

sal
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Ferris Wheels wrote:The re-release of the salsa should meet your needs.
+1, probably with the same finish as the techno plus the cts-xhp

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

sal wrote:Which is a bit of a problem for which we have no solution. We have the Compression Lock, Ball bearing lock, Caged Ball Bearing, Stop-Lock and another new lock for which patents are applied and we're working on a proto now. Really wouldn't feel right making them as Sages. A puzzlement.

sal
The edge-u-cation could state: "the sage 5 is a tribute to my own brilliant ingenuity." Just joking. I admire the humility only slightly less than the knives!
DoKnowHarm

Post by DoKnowHarm »

i would love to see a sage dedication to rick hinderer. orange G10 and a frame lock with his lock bar stabilizer. that would be an awesome one to see
nccole

Post by nccole »

Want a cool lock? Pick any one of Gavin and Grant Hawks design. They have several that could be incorporated into the Sage. It also needs to be a lock that is not exclusive to one brand, so no axis or triad imo. They could do another phantom lock like the little Meerkat also. I would also love the Stud Lock by Ken Onion, but that may be hard to do with a proper Spyder hole.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DoKnowHarm,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Erm... The sage 4 is a back lock already, with bolsters and wood handles. Given that the Sage series is meant to pay tribute to LOCKING MECHANISMS and not handle materials, it seems silly to double up on backlocks.

Now, if you wanted to do that same combo in the chapparal, which is all about gentlemanly handle materials, it would be pretty groovy.

Sage4 technically doesn't have a back lock, my friend. It's what you'd call a front lock. They're pretty much the same idea though, so I see where you're coming from. And I agree that the Buck 110 combo on the Chap would be pretty slick. I'd absolutely pick one up.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

d.2.the.p wrote:Sage4 technically doesn't have a back lock, my friend. It's what you'd call a front lock. They're pretty much the same idea though, so I see where you're coming from. And I agree that the Buck 110 combo on the Chap would be pretty slick. I'd absolutely pick one up.
Actually, "my friend", if you want to be pedantic, the Sage 4 is a mid lock. While some of the Al Mar designs that inspired it would be considered "front locks", the lock release on the Sage is far enough back that calling it a front lock is a stretch at best.

It's really splitting hairs, though - they are all lockbacks, whether it's a mid lockback or a back lockback, or a mid backlock (the actual official name for the lock given by Spyderci) it's still the same locking mechanism.

Just to re-iterate, Spyerco's official description of the lock is a mid backlock. The post I responded to was asking for a backlock Sage, which I think is completely antithetical to the point of the knife, which is to pay tribute to distinct lock designs. Changing the position of the "button" is not enough of a change to justify a separate model, IMO.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Lock: They should make a tribute to Spydercos own achievements with the ball bearing lock (Manix 2) with the Sage V. :cool:

Scales: Grooved & polished black G-10 like the Spyderco Deshorn would look awesome.

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Holland

Post by Holland »

looks great! but if they were to honour themselves, id personally prefer a compression lock :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
mattman

Post by mattman »

I can understand the desire for a compression lock in a knife with all the associated qualities in the Sage series... There has to be a way to solve the demand, and still stay true to the intent of the series... I doubt Sal will make one, call it a Sage, then just shrug and wink at people when they call him out on it...
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think Sages with Spyderco locks will have to be made at some point. I always expected they would be at the end after completing the tributes to other designers. While I understand the modesty, or ethical dilemma, the series' basis is to showcase the industry's locks.

I like the suggestions of the Paul Axial Lock and the Lake Rear Lock.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hey Sal, couldn't you just say that Eric is a knife maker, and maybe just say that Eric invented the compression lock, and you're doing a compression lock Sage as a tribute to a fellow knife maker! See it's all in how you word it man :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I still would like to see a McHenry & Williams tribute with the axis. They do hold the patent dated 4/14/98.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Changing the position of the "button" is not enough of a change to justify a separate model, IMO.
Why not? Changing the pattern of etching was enough to justify a separate model of Chapparal, was it not? If I recall, the intent of the Chapparal series was to highlight different handle materials (not the same material etched in numerous different patterns), and as far as I know, titanium = titanium on the Chap 2 & 3. Redoing something or reusing an idea in the Sage series would fall along these same lines, IMO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

xceptnl wrote:I still would like to see a McHenry & Williams tribute with the axis. They do hold the patent dated 4/14/98.
Do McHenry & Williams still hold it or did Benchmade buy those rights?
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am sure the rights were licensed to Benchmade, however I am not sure the patent was sold.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Chris_H wrote:While I understand the modesty, or ethical dilemma, the series' basis is to showcase the industry's locks.
Actually, it was to honor the DESIGNERS of the locks, and to use the designer's favorite handle materials. Therefore the term 'Sage'. As in wise. While it IS about lock designs, it's more about the tribute than just displaying different lock designs. The fact that it IS a tribute is what would make it hubris for Sal to release a Sage with one of his own lock design. I'd be really surprised if he does release a Sage with one of his or Eric's lock designs.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

KrisOK wrote:Actually, it was to honor the DESIGNERS of the locks, and to use the designer's favorite handle materials. Therefore the term 'Sage'. As in wise. While it IS about lock designs, it's more about the tribute than just displaying different lock designs. The fact that it IS a tribute is what would make it hubris for Sal to release a Sage with one of his own lock design. I'd be really surprised if he does release a Sage with one of his or Eric's lock designs.
Very well put. Agreed 100%.
No compression lock Sage, please. Plenty of compression locks out there on the Para 2's, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>