Delica 4 FFG vs Meadowlark 2 FFG

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheChunk91

Delica 4 FFG vs Meadowlark 2 FFG

Post by TheChunk91 »

So these are two great small/secondary edc knives but which do you guys prefer and why?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I prefer the Delica. I think that will probably be the majority opinion here given that the Delica is the real-deal Spyderco and the Meadowlark is the value alternative. The folks here are obviously willing to pony-up for the real-deal. The Meadowlark is an outstanding value and a great knife though. It does have the 50/50 choil, which is one innovation that the Delica has never received. Some might prefer it for that reason. I will say, that if the Meadowlark gets updated CTS-BD1 as has been hinted at in the byrd subforum, it will be a lot harder for me to claim the Delica as my preference.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Yeah I mostly agree except the finger choil takes away from the full handle length, so you do get a full finger grip but have to use the choil to do so, which is not always comfortable and the jimping is rougher and more shallow and has slipped on me a couple times (without bad results thankfully). I also dont like the look of the finger choil vs the delica which looks much cleaner, I do love the byrd though its an awesome beater knife and functions the same as the delica besides the edge retention difference.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Both great knives. The choil, different opener, and handle texturing are the main difference. (besides the level of F&F)
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

I dont really think they would switch to CTS-BD1 on the byrd (though it would be great), as it would raise the price enough to take away from the extreme value knife that it is and if they were to upgrade the steel it seems to me that it would be easier and more cost effective to use one of the higher end MOV steels. I paid $19 for mine and have used it at work enough to pay for itself 10x over, you cant beat that kind of value.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

TheChunk91 wrote:I dont really think they would switch to CTS-BD1 on the byrd (though it would be great), as it would raise the price enough to take away from the extreme value knife that it is and if they were to upgrade the steel it seems to me that it would be easier and more cost effective to use one of the higher end MOV steels. I paid $19 for mine and have used it at work enough to pay for itself 10x over, you cant beat that kind of value.
According to sal at the link below, the updated Raven and Crow will probably have CTS-BD1 and in his exact words will be "the first" of the series to get it which implies upgrades for additional byrd models.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post867980
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
mama

Post by mama »

I looked at the meadowlark before I got my delica. The delica seemed to be much better quality. Plus it came in my favourite color!
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Haha shows what I know. That may cause me to buy another byrd then, I have never used CTS-BD1 and it would be great to try it in a cheaper option, although I dont care for american steel being used on non american knives but we will see what happens.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The new 2013 UKPK comes with CTS-BD1 steel, a finger choil and is made in golden Colorado USA Earth!. I doesn't lock and is impossible to find but it's cheaper than the delica if you can find one. If you do, please let me know where you found it as I am having trouble locating any dealers.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I love my "choiled Delica". If only it had upgraded steel it would be perfect...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FCM415 wrote:I love my "choiled Delica". If only it had upgraded steel it would be perfect...
Unless you step into an extreme steel I don't think it would be noticeable. By "extreme" I'm not necessarily saying it's better just totally different so that one might notice the difference in use. 3 times the carbon, 5 hrc higher, etc.

People rave about VG10. It's not the same as 8Cr but chemically it's quite similar.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would really like to see a Delica 5 FFG with 50/50 choil. Esp. with ZDP-189 and a british racing green handle.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Ive noticed quite a bit of steel performance difference between the two, the meadowlark does decent but but I have to sharpen it every 2-3 days by then which its the ripping everything and not cutting kind of dull. The delica on the other hand will last as long as 2 weeks or so before its ripping everything instead of cutting and thats a big difference. Of course its no big deal to sharpen them up but good edge retention is still a big important factor (after all the steel is the heart of any knife). Although most everyday I touch up whichever of my knives that I have carried during the day if they are not hair popping sharp after using them throughout the day, but it is a little more fun to sharpen the byrd as it takes an edge a little easier than VG-10.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm positive the two knives have different edges. Seki makers tend to deliver more acute (and equal) bevels. That or you are working with a burr on the Byrd.

If you are cutting the same amount of material during those days with both knives that about 4 times the edge retention for VG10.
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

It has many variables to exactly what im cutting. I also keep all my knives at the same level of sharpness the best I can, which is quite easy thanks to my sharpmaker.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

kennethsime wrote:I would really like to see a Delica 5 FFG with 50/50 choil. Esp. with ZDP-189 and a british racing green handle.
Exactamundo. Purists will disagree but If you look at the Delica, adding a finger choil wouldnt take any edge away. I offered a comparison pic on BF months ago Im on the phone right now Ill add it later.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Blerv wrote:Unless you step into an extreme steel I don't think it would be noticeable. By "extreme" I'm not necessarily saying it's better just totally different so that one might notice the difference in use. 3 times the carbon, 5 hrc higher, etc.

People rave about VG10. It's not the same as 8Cr but chemically it's quite similar.
I didnt catch what your saying. Let me elaborate. I love the Meadowlark2, But Im spoiled with these uber super steels these days and 8cr simply doesnt make sense for me anymore when I have blades in M4 and S110v etc. I can do VG10 and would buy a choiled Delica in VG10 or ZDP in a heartbeat. 8cr gets sharp but it doesnt last a day in my job.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FCM415 wrote:I didnt catch what your saying. Let me elaborate. I love the Meadowlark2, But Im spoiled with these uber super steels these days and 8cr simply doesnt make sense for me anymore when I have blades in M4 and S110v etc. I can do VG10 and would buy a choiled Delica in VG10 or ZDP in a heartbeat. 8cr gets sharp but it doesnt last a day in my job.
That last quote was responding to TheChunk91's comment about 8Cr lasting 2-3 days whereas VG10 lasts for at least 2 weeks. I'm guessing it was hyperbole as that really is impossible if compared fairly.

If one can afford 110v and it's become available for a reasonable price (a historical moment) from Spyderco the main reason to go with 8Cr is a bit of edge stability and a MASSIVE price advantage. You can buy 5 Tenacious' for the price of one Forum Native5, 10 of them if you pay the scalpers on eBay. Dropping the angle on the cheaper knife would help close the gap as would buying a serrated version.

Based on past notes as presented on this forum the difference between VG10 and ZDP-189/S90v on CATRA is about 30% edge retention (iirc, 720 vs 510). Serrated knives per Sal do about twice as well as their PE counterparts. SE H1 is the reining champ but that was quoted a year or so ago.

If it was me and I was looking for a tool that didn't make excuses or as pretty cuts and needed to take spades of abuse I would get a serrated Salt1 or Pacific Salt. Throw another $30 at it in sharpening belts and CPM-110v would have fits to keep up. More than likely it wouldn't. Plus when you chip 110v it's going to be a royal pain to restore vs the tougher H1 which should be easy (relatively).
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Theres nothing wrong with 8cr especially when you cant/dont want to spend much money for a knife, but in comparison to the supersteels ive used like 154CM, S30V, S35VN, VG-10 and ZDP-189 it doesnt come close, but thats a whole other discussion that could last forever. One strange thing though is that my tenacious lasts a little bit longer than my meadowlark, those are my only two beater knives and im a bit harsh on them because I need a beater knife for my job. Its possible the byrd has a lesser heat treatment but id imagine if so its not supposed to.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi The Chunk.

Welcome to our forum. We also have a byrd forum for input.

I've been carrying the new Meadowlark for the past few days. Eric and I carry all models to make sure they're right. The knife is from the new maker. (We've been in the process of converting from one maker to another). I've been quite impressed. Works very well. Naturally the steel will not be on the same performance level as some of our more specialized steels like VG-10 or ZDP, ertc, but geometry and edge are good and ergos and function are all very nice.

sal