eBay SCORE!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jmotley

eBay SCORE!!

Post by Jmotley »

So I purchased an Endura 4 on eBay a few months ago for $40.
Good deal right?
Especially because it had custom black G10 scales. For the longest time I couldn't figure it out. At first I thought it started life as a stainless handle version and somebody had milled it down to fit g10 scales.
Nope.
It has a FFG blade which is not offered in stainless handles. Then I thought wow. Maybe somebody made full stainless liners AND the g10 scales. Cool. Now I realize that it is actually a factory G10 version that somebody swapped their own polished black scales.
Feel a bit silly that it took so long to realize. Now if I could just get those original scales for it! But I may have a go at making my own. I love the foliage green. Of course the knife is a solid tank. I rotate it with my para2 and the endura sees most of the harder work. What a GREAT knife! And for $40!!
[ATTACH]22602[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22601[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Clip

Post by Clip »

Congrats on the win! Is it possible they dyed the G10 black? I've never tried to dye foliage green so I don't know how it would respond. You said the G10 was polished too, so that might be a giveaway they put custom scales on it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Clip wrote:Congrats on the win! Is it possible they dyed the G10 black? I've never tried to dye foliage green so I don't know how it would respond. You said the G10 was polished too, so that might be a giveaway they put custom scales on it.
That's a real possibility. There are a few members who have dyed the green G10 black. It works pretty well.

Excellent score OP. My G10 Delica is one of my favorite knives ever.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I don't believe they are dyed as the bevels on the edges are a little inconsistent. They look good , but close inspection reveals that they are hand made. I like the polished look. Makes it a very classy endura, but I would love the option to swap them out sometimes.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Well, with the full liners of the G-10 version, it would be a LOT easier to make custom scales for it. The nested liners on the FRN versions are MUCH more difficult.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.