Moran Sprint run anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jtoler_9

Moran Sprint run anyone?

Post by jtoler_9 »

Or is it just me?

Maybe with Micarta scales or M390 steel? I know it's Seki made so steel choice is a bit limited. But a guy can dream.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Moran is a really under-appreciated knife - I'd like to see a super-steel version, or maybe a Super Blue version. I hesitate to say this, but I think it would sell better if it were slightly redesigned to have a full-tang design.
Holland

Post by Holland »

May be interested depending on the steel used
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I love mine, I think it is a fantastic knife for the price. I got my orange one out the other day to take pictures of it, and noticed it had a very tiny nick in the blade, so gave it the treatment on the SharpMaker, man does it slice now! The hair on my leg ran screaming from it! :D

The lack of full tang doesn't bother me, I guess because I don't view it as a knife to baton with. I probably wouldn't carry it as my *only* knife camping, but I sure like to have it along - the thin edge makes *excellent* thin shavings for fire prep, and slices food well too.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Just for clarity, I'm not bothered by the lack of a full tang, either, but I do think it would sell better if it had a full tang. It's like FFG blades. Are they the best? No (there is no single best). But they are fashionable right now and sell better, other things being equal. :o
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Because it is not a full tang, a solid block of micarta for a handle would be really really heavy. They may be able to machine it to reduce weight, or use a multi-part laminated construction, but this would add cost to a relatively inexpensive knife.

TedP
KiwiBird

Post by KiwiBird »

I love my orange one for food prep when camping, any food safe super steel would be good, but don't make it heavier.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Hmm, I see your point about solid Micarta increasing the total weight. How bout a linen micarta insert where the grippy rubber stuff is on the current model? Heck I would go for a nice wood insert also.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd totally be in for a Moran in m390. Or S90v. Or ZDP.

Or two.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would love to see a version in a steel Mr. Moran commonly used with a slightly convex primary grind and acrylic stabilized fiddleback maple in a rich brown or blue tone. I'd be fine if the scale material was the only material change, but I do really prefer the Moran FB01 with a slightly convex primary grind. The current version requires a convex micro bevel if you are going to have the blade reground the way I am suggesting for edge stability reasons.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It's an excellent knife. I haven't seen the trailing point in person, but the drop handles beautifully. Perhaps SuperBlue would be an option? The only complaint I've had from customers is that the Kraton tends to wear/tear fairly quickly. Perhaps a pure FRN handle would be better? If it were redesigned, it could perhaps resemble the Enuff and Jumpmaster construction, with a skeletonized full tang and FRN scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.