Ethnic Series suggestion, Japanese Higonokami.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
einstein2001

Ethnic Series suggestion, Japanese Higonokami.

Post by einstein2001 »

So I'm really excited about a knife I just ordered which is a Traditional Japanese Higonokami. This knife is a simple friction folder with a hand forged, Aigami #2, San Mai blade. The handle is simply a stamped sheet of brass that's been folded over and the pivot pinned. This knife has a long and rich history and will fit in nicely with my other inexpensive traditional carbon steel knives, the Opinel and Mora.

Here is an excellent writeup of the Higonokami story at BBF.

I started thinking and got the idea of a Spyderco Higonokami Ehnic Folder. With Spydercos ties to the knifemakers in the Miki region and this knifes storied history, I'm hoping this is could be a possibility.
I was originally thinking just a spyderized verson of the friction folder then I saw the Shun Higo Nokami. This look like a very nice Higonokami style knife with a liner lock that's being marketed as a personal steak knife.

This really got me thinking. Now I'm envisioning a San Mai Aiogami inverted tanto with a small spyderhole, titanium framelock, brass scale stamped with the spyder logo, and the lever acting like a flipper. :cool:

Anybody else with me on this one? :)

:spyder: Kumo Foruda (Spider Folder) :spyder:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think that sounds great. Spyderco already has the laminated SB blades coming out and I'm sure they would translate well to a Higonokami design. I wouldn't mind a liner lock if that was able to keep cost down. The brass scale would look nice but I think carbon fiber or G10 (gray or navy blue) would be a nice upgrade that would enhance utility.

Just curious, where were you able to order one?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

einstein2001 wrote: ...I was originally thinking just a spyderized verson of the friction folder then I saw the Shun Higo Nokami. This look like a very nice Higonokami style knife with a liner lock that's being marketed as a personal steak knife.

This really got me thinking. Now I'm envisioning a San Mai Aiogami inverted tanto with a small spyderhole, titanium framelock, brass scale stamped with the spyder logo, and the lever acting like a flipper. :cool:

I have always been a fan of this persoanl steak knife from Shun, I just never dedicated the funds to it to actually get one.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

i have a design drawn up for this exact knife. i'll post it when I get home

It's the bottom one

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I don't think I'd buy one, but a think a Spyderco Folding Steak knife would be cool to have on the lineup
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great minds think alike ;)

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Higonokami

The only reason I dug that up was because Ed and some folks put some insight into it. No intent to say you should have searched.

I never did buy one of those. Hope you enjoy yours! Let us know what you think :D .
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

einstein2001 wrote:So I'm really excited about a knife I just ordered which is a Traditional Japanese Higonokami. This knife is a simple friction folder with a hand forged, Aigami #2, San Mai blade. The handle is simply a stamped sheet of brass that's been folded over and the pivot pinned. This knife has a long and rich history and will fit in nicely with my other inexpensive traditional carbon steel knives, the Opinel and Mora.

Here is an excellent writeup of the Higonokami story at BBF.

I started thinking and got the idea of a Spyderco Higonokami Ehnic Folder. With Spydercos ties to the knifemakers in the Miki region and this knifes storied history, I'm hoping this is could be a possibility.
I was originally thinking just a spyderized verson of the friction folder then I saw the Shun Higo Nokami. This look like a very nice Higonokami style knife with a liner lock that's being marketed as a personal steak knife.

Is that the Pierre Supper you have there what's your opinion of it if you please if it is that manufacturer.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Both are really cool knives.
Maybe with spyderco's first friction folder coming out,they will do other designs later?
Perhaps this one would be a good choice for them if they do.
I like folded handled friction folders,I was considering doing one before I got out of knife making,they are elegant in their simplisity.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Okay, since we're talking about ethnic knives, what about spyderco's take on a jambiya?
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

I just got back from Japan and I have two unopened higonokamis in front of me and one I used like mad around my place to the left of me. A real Higonokami is literally 2 main pieces from what I have seen. A single piece of steel folded over for the handle, and the blade with a pin with a washer. I feel Spyderco would have to redefine it before considering the idea first
Jax

Post by Jax »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Okay, since we're talking about ethnic knives, what about spyderco's take on a jambiya?
Looks good Chuck!
I was thinking we could add a Languiole and a Canadian belt knife to that list :)
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I think I like the Douk Douk better because of the spring back verses friction folder; pretty much the same technology. They are highly functional pieces...Take Care...Ed
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Ed Schempp wrote:I think I like the Douk Douk better because of the spring back verses friction folder; pretty much the same technology. They are highly functional pieces...Take Care...Ed
The ones I've had a look see at have been finger biters really , chop , chop would've been a better name.
Lethal if you don't have your wits about you which rules me out of owning one :D .
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

xceptnl wrote:I have always been a fan of this persoanl steak knife from Shun, I just never dedicated the funds to it to actually get one.
This is me exactly...I really want one. Just never pulled the trigger, even though I know I should.
On the hunt for...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Came across this rendition, Mr. Seizo Imai SI-1178 Custom Western Higonokami

A fusion of Japanese Traditional Higonokami and Western style Slip-Joint Folder
I see, said the blind man.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Blerv wrote:Great minds think alike ;)

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Higonokami

The only reason I dug that up was because Ed and some folks put some insight into it. No intent to say you should have searched.

I never did buy one of those. Hope you enjoy yours! Let us know what you think :D .
Great minds indeed. :) Thanks for linking that thread, I did a quick search but missed that one.
w3tnz wrote:Came across this rendition, Mr. Seizo Imai SI-1178 Custom Western Higonokami

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG :eek: :eek: :eek:

kiwi-nokami
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

w3tnz wrote:Came across this rendition, Mr. Seizo Imai SI-1178 Custom Western Higonokami

THAT is what Damascus needs to look like!!! That is a stunning knife - the el cheapo Higonokami that I got in Japan earlier in the year just climbed into the drawer on it's own, hid itself under the socks and is refusing to show its face until I have forgotten about this
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I've had my Higonokami for a few days now and I really like it. Folding knives don't get any simpler than this. I think this would make a great Spyderco ethnic knife.
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Looks great :) Thanks for the feedback. Might just have to grab one someday!
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

It's definitely worth the $20 and a couple weeks delivery time. I forgot I ordered it when it arrived at my door. :)
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]