The use of thinner blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Invective wrote:...Although an argument could also be made for a Calypso Jr with 2mm stock as well, in any steel would be amazing too! Honestly, I would be fine with pretty much any of the Japanese models in thin.
Well if that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into my personal choice I don't know what does. I would love a Caly Jr. in that thin stock. Maybe I will just leave the choice up to Sal & the gang. I really could be happy with the Caly or the Stretch, but the steel will be the key for me.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

I'll also throw in a vote for a Caly 3 or (and?) Caly 3.5 in 2mm spine thickness.

Sounds like a dream come true, actually.
Invective

Post by Invective »

xceptnl wrote:Well if that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into my personal choice I don't know what does. I would love a Caly Jr. in that thin stock. Maybe I will just leave the choice up to Sal & the gang. I really could be happy with the Caly or the Stretch, but the steel will be the key for me.
Hahaha glad I could help :p

I was thinking of what the go to slicers were and I kept on going back to that era of Japanese Spydies with the Calypso Jr, Jess Horn II, and JD Smith and figured that those would be good candidates for even thinner stock especially in a sprint run. For me, I see the Golden and Taichung Spydies as harder use and the Japanese ones as more lighter, office use or breaking down boxes. Not to say you can't use an Endura outside but there are better choices.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I love my CF Chaparral! A major reason that I picked it over Spydies of similar size was for the thin stock. As an aside, it also has a higher blade to handle ratio than many other Spyderco knives I've looked at.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Thin is good and offers less resistance in cutting. Strength is a factor of length and width; I'd favor a blade that had a strong tip design and substantial width. Most importantly a good factory grind, .002-.003 before sharpening at the edge. The Stretch is a good suggestion, any of the rescue blades or sheep's foot blade.

Many of the Military knives of eastern Europe were thin, like 3 mm. There is a law that limits knives for civilians to 2.5 mm. The exceptions were the bayonets used for digging and high leverage uses...Take Care...Ed

Thin is lighter and faster and offers less resistance in cutting...Take Care...Ed
Holland

Post by Holland »

thinner the better imo :D love my chaparral 2 and i plan to follow travis and get my para2 reground thinner :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE