Maddox Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manix Guy 2

Maddox Question

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hello everyone ! My Mother gave me back a Maddox that I gifted her years ago still in the box . She told me it was too sharp and she had no use for it ! I brought it home from Missouri and did some research since I never kept one for myself . The Maddox has has 071 on the blade , first thought it was a CC number but have seen more than one on the net with same number . So what does the number represent ? The Maddox is a FB10 , so where does this number originate ? Regards MG2
Donut

Post by Donut »

There was a thread on this a little while ago, I don't know if a conclusion was ever made about why.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... plicate-CC
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Manix Guy 2,

We first made the Maddox model in the Golden facility. We numbered thed collector pieces as usual. When we decided to make the model in Taiwan to ease capacity in Golden and reduced the cost, we sent a piece to the maker. The piece was a collector piece numbered 071. The maker thought it was a model number and put it on every piece of the first run.

I would like to point out that the Maddox model is still available. Mr. Maddox has taken the project on himself when we disco'd the piece. Very commendable.

sal
spydercojoe

Post by spydercojoe »

Hi Mainix guy. I can tell you more then you want to know on this.lol. I invented this design about 15 years ago, Spyderco graciously took on the roll of refining and coming up with the final product. It is all over the world helping folks cut things easily. If u hold it correctly, (see brochure and or video) it will out cut just about anything you have in the kitchen
I use it on watermellon, mussmellon, spaghetti squash, pork loins, etc etc. so first of all use it and you won't want to give it back.
I suspect your mom just doesn't know how to use it. Or use it. There are safety designs built into the knife that if your hand slipps it will be stopped by the flared sides of the knife before it would cut you. So, if your mom has weaker hands, arthritis etc this knife will help her.
Ok, now to answer your question. The first two or three batches of FB-10 were made in Golden. The next batch was made in Taiwan and made well I might add. My guess is that Spyderco's orders to them was soooo strict on duplicating everything just like the Golden ones that they literally did that, right down to the collector number on the one they sent over. All of the Taiwan knives are markes 071. I am only speculating I was not in Taiwan overseeing this , I'm just using observation at arms length. All batches were sold out. I do have a few left, of course, and would only reluctantly trade for a different Spyderco knife which is alway fun.
I am still hearing stories of this knife helping folks, especially our wounded vets who deserve any help we can get them. Thank you again Spyderco for all you did for this project,,, God Bless, and stay sharp! Joe Maddox
spydercojoe

Post by spydercojoe »

sal wrote:Hi Manix Guy 2,

We first made the Maddox model in the Golden facility. We numbered thed collector pieces as usual. When we decided to make the model in Taiwan to ease capacity in Golden and reduced the cost, we sent a piece to the maker. The piece was a collector piece numbered 071. The maker thought it was a model number and put it on every piece of the first run.

I would like to point out that the Maddox model is still available. Mr. Maddox has taken the project on himself when we disco'd the piece. Very commendable.

sal
Lol, hi Sal! My guess was right. I was typing my post as you were typing your response. I appreciate your kind words very much! And thanks for the free ad. The Maddox Knife is still being made. There is a hitch with the future. A company just purchased my marketing guys company and plans on continued manufacture of the knife. They said , "we see there is no patent but there is copyright protection on the name. So we are just going to change the name of the knife" yikes, there goes my 15 dollars a month royalty........ Which as you know, spyderco and I never did this for the money but to help people. So,,, some companies , like Spyderco are great honorable honest companies,,, and some are not.
I have never been sued and have never sued anyone,,, it is just a shame all folks aren't nice. Take care Sal, your are.... One of the good guys. God Bless you my friend,, Joe
Manix Guy 2

Thank You !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Thanks Sal and Joe , this solves the puzzle , great Spyderco history lesson . Regards MG2
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:Hi Manix Guy 2,

sal
Fascinating, I love these little bits of trivia! I love even more that Sal (and Joe too!) takes the time to share them!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Where can I still get one?? I didn't know they were still being produced!! Help!

-Zach
spydercojoe

Maddox knife

Post by spydercojoe »

Tubpbs wrote:Where can I still get one?? I didn't know they were still being produced!! Help!

-Zach
Try eBay for a spyderco Maddox. You can google.... " Maddox knife" and there are 30 plus sites you can get the current model made in China ( not by Spyderco) for as little as 17 bucks.
I know this site is not for " selling knives" and I so respect that. I'm just popping in to help if you need the best one hand cuttin tool on the face of the Earth. Take care, Joe Maddox
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's kind of a funny story. :)

I was wondering about the Maddox, it seemed like AG Russel was still ordering them for a while and keeping them alive, but the model I see on their website now doesn't resemble the Spyderco model. It's great that he is keeping it alive!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Thanks Joe.
Holland

Post by Holland »

very interesting! thanks Joe and Sal! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Great little design! I've sold quite a few to people with disabilities of one kind or another. Also makes a great pill cutter for when you only need to take half.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have two working hands, and still find the Maddox useful for mincing/chopping herbs and garlic. Joe should find someone to make a small chopping block with a "bowl" in it matching the curve of the Maddox blade.

Back when I lived in New York, I also found it to be very useful as a "sticker scraper" and had registration, inspection, park, residency, and parking stickers than needed to be removed from the inside of my car's windshield and windows periodically.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!