Street Beat Shoddiness (pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Indoril

Street Beat Shoddiness (pics)

Post by Indoril »

Received my first ever Spyderco Knife today which I've been wanting for a long long time... sadly it might be my last.

The Street Beat has always been my favorite fixed blade design, but for a knife of this price I expected much better finish. I'm disappointed. The issues:
  1. Most obvious flaw: the gimping does not end evenly. It ends sort of at an angle, as if the gimping is deeper on one side, or the spine was ground not flat. See pic
  2. Near the back of the handle where the micarta scales meet the spine, there is about a 1.5 mm more "square" portion of micarta on one side which is completely lacking on the other scale. One side squares off while the other just curves right up until meeting the spine. Kind of hard to explain but again see pic
  3. Couple small scratches on the blade, and a shoddy looking sheath. Neither of these are a big deal and normally I wouldn't care, but it's the accumulation of all these little things that get to me.

The weird gimping where gets progressively more shallow where it ends. No that's not the light obscuring it, it literally ends unevenly like that.

The uneven micarta scales. As you can see, where the scales are narrowest, the RIGHT side is much more square. The left side isn't square at all, but it a smooth curve right up to the metal. It is quite asymmetrical

Am I nitpicking or having unreasonable expectations here? Or is this type of thing normal on a Street Beat? Should I bother returning or exchanging? Does this quality as a manufacturing defect, or is it acceptable variation in quality? Thanks for your feedback
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Oh Dear Lord. Offcourse this is not normal my friend. Spyderco has excelent manufacture controll, unfortunately something like that happen to every company. I understand, this is something that would upset everyone but how about acting like gentleman and try to solve this directly with company or dealer you bought this knife from? People from spyderco are extremely nice and I think they would gladly help you.

If you would buy even china made spydercos you would be amazed by built and manufacture details quality. Don´t say you will not buy another knife from this company, don´t act too agressive, more polite behaviour was always something that helped me in my life more than being unpolite.

Anyway, hope this will solve in the best possible way.

Keep us updated :)

P.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

PaloArt wrote:Oh Dear Lord. Offcourse this is not normal my friend. Spyderco has excelent manufacture controll, unfortunately something like that happen to every company. I understand, this is something that would upset everyone but how about acting like gentleman and try to solve this directly with company or dealer you bought this knife from? People from spyderco are extremely nice and I think they would gladly help you.

If you would buy even china made spydercos you would be amazed by built and manufacture details quality. Don´t say you will not buy another knife from this company, don´t act too agressive, more polite behaviour was always something that helped me in my life more than being unpolite.

P.
Sorry I had no idea that I came off as aggressive or ungentlemanly; that was not my intention. I know Spyderco makes great knives, and am hoping this proves to be an outlier. I just want to confirm that this is something abnormal and that I'm not being crazy or overthinking it :P

I will attempt to return or exchange with the dealer. Hopefully if they send me another one it will have a fit and finish that satisfies my high expectation of Spyderco craftsmanship.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

PaloArt wrote:Oh Dear Lord. Offcourse this is not normal my friend. Spyderco has excelent manufacture controll, unfortunately something like that happen to every company. I understand, this is something that would upset everyone but how about acting like gentleman and try to solve this directly with company or dealer you bought this knife from? People from spyderco are extremely nice and I think they would gladly help you.

P.
I'm sorry if I came off as aggressive or ungentlemanly; that was not my intention. I know Spyderco makes great knives and am hoping you guys can confirm that this is just an outlier, so that I know I'm not crazy or overthinking it :P

I shall return or exchange it with the dealer. Hopefully they are sympathetic to my qualms, and if they send me a new blade that it lives up to my high expectation of Spyderco crafstmanship.
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Yeah that's not normal at all get in touch with Spyderco and for sure they will hook you up.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd probably write the rest of the issues off as normal variance on a production knife, but if I got one with blade jimping like that, I'd either return it to the dealer or send it back to Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Oddly enough, if someone asked me to show them one Spyderco that will best represent their quality, I would have easily chosen the Street Beat. Sorry you ran into this problem!
Senate

Post by Senate »

Maybe a bit nitpicking honestly but as long as you remain correct, no problem asking for advice.
In the end it's your knife and it's your decision to send it in..
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

That jimping isn't normal. Get it replaced.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Indoril,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your disappointment. That is not normal. I would send it back to the dealer or to us for a replacement.

sal
endgame

Post by endgame »

What other owner would oveor his condolances to you send it Back don't bail.I best the next one is perfect