S90V Military!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Just tried this again, seeing 101 when I try to buy the US version (not international):

[ATTACH]22437[/ATTACH]
Attachments
BentoBox.jpg
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

^^^ (Sorry, haven't quite figured out how to post pics properly on this site with my Mac).

Can someone else try to buy a ton of them through the US sales link and see what you get?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Henry - get both wrote:I think they took inventory off their pao that people would think they're selling fast...
I've been checking this closely in the last weeks. They've been selling about five knives a day and suddenly 300 knives went off. This happened before the "in stock announcement". Maybe they don't update their inventory the right way, maybe they just thought they needed to do something like pulling 300 knives for a "second batch" or selling them through Ebay bids. Anyway this got a little weird as the second screw.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have only had this knife leoss then 24 hours but so far its great.cut bamboo like butter.so easy to open and close one handed.smooth early lockup.handle upgrades are a +.I am falling in love with s90v. Such a great steel.I'm going to get aluminum replacement scales to get rid if the smurf blue.the are mirror polished going to look insane.
Donut

Post by Donut »

nirvanero wrote:I've been checking this closely in the last weeks. They've been selling about five knives a day and suddenly 300 knives went off. This happened before the "in stock announcement". Maybe they don't update their inventory the right way, maybe they just thought they needed to do something like pulling 300 knives for a "second batch" or selling them through Ebay bids. Anyway this got a little weird as the second screw.
LOL, I totally love when the dealers try to be sneaky, but the buyers are sneakier.
endgame wrote:I have only had this knife leoss then 24 hours but so far its great.cut bamboo like butter.so easy to open and close one handed.smooth early lockup.handle upgrades are a +.I am falling in love with s90v. Such a great steel.I'm going to get aluminum replacement scales to get rid if the smurf blue.the are mirror polished going to look insane.
I'm pretty sure there have been no handle upgrades.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Donut wrote:LOL, I totally love when the dealers try to be sneaky, but the buyers are sneakier.
It's a strange, sneaky world... :p

After some serious thinking I'm not gonna buy this one, maybe someone could please tell me about the extra screw?
RadioactiveSpyder

Does anyone foresee any issue with swapping the blade on this new blue Millie with the CF M390 Millie, making a smurf blue M390 Millie and a CF S90V Millie to match the PM2's (and to restore order to the universe since we all know that S90V blades are best mated to CF)? What do you think?

(Mine hasn't come yet as it's making the grand tour across the US while it slowly makes it to my NY state address from an understanding family member...)
endgame

Post by endgame »

There is a cf s90v made but the price is also crazy like the cf pm2.so why not.I was getting scales made I have a cf s30v Millie but I'm not going to take it apart I like it the way it is.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Does anyone foresee any issue with swapping the blade on this new blue Millie with the CF M390 Millie, making a smurf blue M390 Millie and a CF S90V Millie to match the PM2's (and to restore order to the universe since we all know that S90V blades are best mated to CF)? What do you think?

(Mine hasn't come yet as it's making the grand tour across the US while it slowly makes it to my NY state address from an understanding family member...)
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think that as a knife is opened and closed the blade and locking liner would wear together so I would switch scales but try to keep the locking liners and blades that came with each knife together, so you will maintain the same lockup on each knife.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I ment upgrades I'm going to make with handle sorry.I'm not a huge fan of the pm2 and millitary carbon fiber it feels just like the g-10 I wish they would have done it like the broadly folder cf.its ok but you can hardly tell its cf.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Does anyone foresee any issue with swapping the blade on this new blue Millie with the CF M390 Millie, making a smurf blue M390 Millie and a CF S90V Millie to match the PM2's (and to restore order to the universe since we all know that S90V blades are best mated to CF)? What do you think?

No, it probably will work; two caveats.

The Military has had a whole lot of CQI over its extended life and there are a lot of subtle changes that make it likely that you can't mix parts from knives that were made several years apart (in this case, as far as I know, they're both current - unless the new blue S90V has some brand-new changes in the tang area that we haven't found out about yet).

Also, you need to make sure the knife works safely. I put an M390 blade into the Ti/G10 hybrid chassis and had to try three blades before I found one that would lock up safely, so even when it "should" work it may not work in real life.
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks JNewell and senorsquare, that's what I was hoping. Not sure I'm adventurous enough to give it a try until I see some more reports of others tinkering with theirs, plus whether or not the new pivot screw design will affect such a swap. As you said, since the CF M390 is a pretty recent version, hopefully that will minimize any CQI-motivated design changes between these two (save for the pivot screw).

JNewell, how did you have so many M390 blades to find the right match? Like your location description too! I'm also a MA native (but now living on this god-forsaken island; so close but yet so far!)

Endgame (or anyone else with both of these yet), do the scales (hole sizes, positions, etc) on these two Millies match up exactly between the blue and CF versions? Thanks!
endgame

Post by endgame »

The cf Millie I have is the older version in the old box I will check 4 you.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Looks ok but I'm not disasembling so it could be off
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks endgame! If anyone tries to do this scale swap, please post pics and let us know if you have any issues (I am sadly smurf-less for now).
black

Post by black »

IMHO the second screw and the gap look really odd.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Thank you, Sal, for the G10 S90V Military. Love it.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Thanks JNewell and senorsquare, that's what I was hoping. Not sure I'm adventurous enough to give it a try until I see some more reports of others tinkering with theirs, plus whether or not the new pivot screw design will affect such a swap. As you said, since the CF M390 is a pretty recent version, hopefully that will minimize any CQI-motivated design changes between these two (save for the pivot screw).

JNewell, how did you have so many M390 blades to find the right match? Like your location description too! I'm also a MA native (but now living on this god-forsaken island; so close but yet so far!)

Endgame (or anyone else with both of these yet), do the scales (hole sizes, positions, etc) on these two Millies match up exactly between the blue and CF versions? Thanks!
I had purchased two in the initial round, and then KW made "leftovers" available and I ordered a third copy.

Be advised that based on my limited experimenting not all CF scales are the same. My CF/S90V Military blade did not swap into the Ti/G10 chassis, but the CF/M390 blades did. It seems that there is some change that occurred in that period.

I agree with your hunch on your likelihood of success.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Where are you getting that at? I just went and tried it and its still showing "Only 450 items in stock" in red letters-->

yeah I saw this too for several days then BAM down to 71. I think they pulled stock for their "second run" just like donut said. Id be a liar if I said I wasn't considering this knife but I keep finding reasons to hold off. Only time will tell haha. s90v is a great steel but since I got my s110v native 5 I see no reason to jump on this millie. I really do believe they need to make a k390 millie. I would instantly buy 2 for the all around performance of this steel.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Please no...
I hope not as well. The Military with its domed pivot is a thing of beauty and usually only available in more hand made pieces. One of my favorite features of the Military.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/