Living with the orange Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Living with the orange Dragonfly

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi folks,

Some of you may remember that my wife asked me to get her a new knife after her BM came open when it was dropped. It was a replacement for a liner lock that nearly cut her badly when it opened in her purse. After much advice from forum members I decided to try her on a DF. Her hands are so small that many of my lock backs she cannot operate. I finally got her to try my G10 DF and viola! she could work it fine. So, I bought her an orange DF (and of course, another one for me somehow found its way here, too ;) ) It has now been some weeks and here are my perceptions.

My wife simply loves that knife. It is so slim she drops it in her pocket more often than in her purse. She is never without it. It fits her tiny hand and fits in the tiny things fashion designers laughingly call pockets on her pants and skirts. She can operate it without a problem. I did have to put some extra lube on it to make it a little easier, but it was not really necessary.

As for me, I still do not like that it does not have liners as you can easily (I have big hands) bend the knife enough with your hands to create a gap and I know that in some situations where torque on the blade occurs this could cause a failure. BUT, that is the only gig on this knife. It was perfect out of the box. Fit and finish were up to standards and it was hair popping sharp. I love how light it is. When I am wearing pants I carry my G10 model. But, when I walk I wear shorts without a belt. No matter how tight you tie that string, anything with even a little weight will sag them on that side. The FRN DF does not do that at all. I can't tell I have it, in fact. I also carry this knife fishing and the light weight is wonderful. Knives are not illegal, here, but the cops have the last word and they are allergic to them. So, having a knife that does not print is nice.

These knives do well for most cutting chores and this one is no exception. So far, I have not cut through a car hood or seat belt. I have cut a lot of fruit, envelops, rope, and tape. The VG-10 blade just keeps cutting and is still sharp. Added to that is the bright orange color. If you drop it you can see it. It is not Tennessee orange, nor is it Texas orange, sorry. It is a true safety orange and very bright.

Well, there you have it. The fruit of the search. Anyone else have this knife? What do you think of it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It, along with my Pingo, is in my pocket now. Love the D-fly - can't say enough good things about it. The orange is real nice, and would be handy if dropped or mislaid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nice write up! I have the brg and salt versions and they are both amazing! Spyderco really did well with this model
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

I love my DF! A great fit even in a larger hand and it performs like a champion! I have an orange FRN and am jonesin' for a G10 model.
:spyder:
endgame

Post by endgame »

You should also try the grey manbug.it has boosters and grey g-10.I just say this cause you are worried about the linerless knife.its smaller then the frn dfly and a **** of allot stronger beeing bolsterd.downside.not a dfly.not orange.same weight aillmost.what about the nigijian fiberglass zdp dfly ir the g-10.all lined but more expensive.I like my frn knives but wouldn't do serious cutting with them I just don't trust it beeing linerless.they also get blade play very easly and most are pinned settup so you cannot fix it.I doubt she will ever have a problem and break the knife.dflys are one of my favorite small edcs out there the zdp glass dfly is such a nice tool.its sharp as a razor- supper strong-also love the blade shape and scales.I own 2 just incase I lose 1.I personally only use frn when fishing or near salt water cause I don't care if I beat the crap out of them.
Jax

Post by Jax »

My first spyderco is a dragonfly,great little knife.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This Dragonfly is a great addition to their orange FRN lineup!

I got my sister a pink Dragonfly for her birthday a few months back, and she raves about it every time I talk to her. It's always in her pocket.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Thinkin about getting my wife an orange D'fly...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
endgame

Post by endgame »

The pink native is also a good idea and a good cause.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Wife would kill me if I got her a pink knife...lol..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

endgame wrote:You should also try the grey manbug.it has boosters and grey g-10.
I have one :) It is always competing with my G10 DF for my favorite pocket rider.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharktooth wrote: am jonesin' for a G10 model.
Once you have the G10 you will not want anything else (except the G10 Manbug to go along with it)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

BDNX wrote:Wife would kill me if I got her a pink knife...lol..
Yeah Scott, my wife thinks the orange is "purdy".

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050