Hawkbill at work

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Stitch

Hawkbill at work

Post by Stitch »

I use a box cutter frequently every day where I work[Costco]
I open 10-20 boxes a day using a cheap single edge cutter or a Husky box cutter.
I decided to bring the Hawkbill yesterday and see how it would play out. It worked great, especially to reach forward in a deli case for instance, opening a new box.I'm short and the curve helped reach into the case.
Nobody seemed to mind the Hawk vs a common box cutter so it's now my edc for work.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great story Stitch, thanks for sharing. What hawkbill are you carrying?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Thanks. I'm new to Spyderco knives but I believe it is just a Byrd black frn se Hawkbill.
It's about the same size as my Byrd Meadowlark2 ce frn.

The only others I have are a Ladybug Salt se Hawkbill yellow and a Black Salt1 se.
I just purchased these 4 in the last month. Trying to see what I want next!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stitch wrote:I use a box cutter frequently every day where I work[Costco]
I open 10-20 boxes a day using a cheap single edge cutter or a Husky box cutter.
I decided to bring the Hawkbill yesterday and see how it would play out. It worked great, especially to reach forward in a deli case for instance, opening a new box.I'm short and the curve helped reach into the case.
Nobody seemed to mind the Hawk vs a common box cutter so it's now my edc for work.
I give you a big "HIGH FIVE" on the practical uses of Hawkbill blades. I discovered all the way back in 2004 just how useful the Spyderhawk model is for many jobs involving the opening of ridgid packages. They are also very safe to use for all kinds of pull cutting jobs and you can very carefully and safely control the cutting action of Spyderedged and plain edged Hawkbills.

Hawkbill blades are also a knife where the Spyderedge really shows it's usefulness. I usually carry one of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades almost daily and find them very useful for many cutting chores you never would have imagined that they would be good for.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Nick D.

Post by Nick D. »

Totally agree with you JD, One of my favorite EDCs is a hawkbill Tasman Salt. Bought one for my girl friend and she uses it to work in her garden. She's now carrying it as an EDC. And this was a woman who was deathly afraid of knives!
jaybraueir

Post by jaybraueir »

For sure I will buy the Hawkbill with such a dangerous lock. If possible could you let me know where you were able to find the knock-off Emerson? Also, was the Bullseye karambit discontinued? I can't find it anywhere.