Forum knife quality control

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spliggs

Post by spliggs »

I agree, mine is awesome! Extremely smooth, excellent fit and finish. I am (as always) very impressed with what Spyderco turns out.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Perfect f&f on mine - I think Sal is spoiling us. :cool:

TedP
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

So far i only own a few Sypdies but this forum knife so far seems to be the best made its a beautiful knife.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Mine just arrived - rock solid lockup, great fit and finish, and quite sharp out of the box. I am still not sold on the native 5 platform, and vastly prefer my Caly 3's in a knife this size, but it's definitely extremely well made.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:+1
I remember talks about sprint of C95 with improved lock like on Natives. I hope for the blade to be 4mm thick.
I'm with you on that. I wonder if we'll see S35VN on any of the harder use knives, because it is a tougher steel than S30V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

The edge on mine couldn't shave hair out of the box. One of the rare few that's ever come from Spyderco that way. Not that I ever keep the stock edge anyway but otherwise perfect.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I checked both of my Native 5's and gotta say that they are not as sharp as I expected them to be. That said both are centered, look and feel flawless. I really like the pattern they put in them! :D

I also have a PM2 green that I dont think is as sharp as it should be.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Mine arrived today, everything was just right.

Thank you Spyderco!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

jabba359 wrote:I was impressed at how loudly the lock clicks into place. Very reassuring, as it sounds extremely solid. Mine has no blade play that I can discern and seems smooth enough. As some others have also noted, this one didn't come quite as sharp as it could have (though I have received much duller Spydercos before). Mine wouldn't push cut newspaper, instead sort of slicing, sort of tearing. After a quick couple minutes on my Sharpmaker, however, and it became shaving sharp and has no problem now with push cuts through newspaper. I was surprised at how easy it was to put on a nice sharp 40° micro bevel on S110V.
I could almost just say "ditto" to this. Mine was relatively dull out of the box but sharpened up surprisingly quickly on the Sharpmaker. Fit and finish on mine are excellent. It doesn't open as smoothly as my standard Native 5, but I have a feeling that this will go away in time as the tang of the blade smooths out the lockbar with each open and close.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

dsmegst wrote:The edge on mine couldn't shave hair out of the box. One of the rare few that's ever come from Spyderco that way. Not that I ever keep the stock edge anyway but otherwise perfect.
OK, so what exactly would you recommend to get the factory edge sharper without re-profiling the edge?

I have a Sharpmaker 204 with diamond, green, and white triangular stones, which are approx. 400/750/1200 grit. Actually I've only seen one post on the diamonds which said they're approx. 400 grit.

After not cutting paper all that easily, I was afraid to use anything other than a few very gentle one-way passes on the white stone, b/c Sal in the Sharpmaker video said something about only the white stone being needed on a knife that already has a correct, undamaged edge. After this, it still doesn't want to easily cut photocopy paper.

Should I do: 20 passes diamond, 20 passes green, 20 passes white at 30 Deg, then repeat the three at 40 deg?

40 deg only? If 40 only, then green+white, or diamond+green+white?

I'm really hesitant to experiment with this knife, esp. with the s110v steel. However, I agree it isn't all that sharp out of the box.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I'm by no means an expert, but is what I did with good results:

50 passes on corners and then flats of medium, fine, and then ultrafine. I understand you don't have the ultrafine rods, but I don't think you'll be missing much without that step. My knife was much sharper after going through the medium and then fine rods. I didn't really notice an improvement from fine to ultrafine. This was all on the 40 degree setting.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Donut wrote:I believe there was mention of redo-ing the original Manix with these tweaks. :)
That would be an incredible beast of a knife!

Regarding the QC of the forum N5, I find this particular version to be the smoothest opening, much better than my S35VN version (mine has some interference about halfway through opening the blade). Am I the only one who finds diamond-textured G10 to be softer to the touch than regular G10?

QC, professionalism and friendliness of the Spydercrew on that Thursday morning I must say was also top notch. Many thanks to John at SFO for handling my order (especially since I had to ship to it to family outside NY state and wait and wait and wait!).
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ricechrispy wrote:I'm by no means an expert, but is what I did with good results:

50 passes on corners and then flats of medium, fine, and then ultrafine. I understand you don't have the ultrafine rods, but I don't think you'll be missing much without that step. My knife was much sharper after going through the medium and then fine rods. I didn't really notice an improvement from fine to ultrafine. This was all on the 40 degree setting.
This is pretty much what I did, 50 passes on the corners then flats of the medium stone, then 30 passes on corners then flats of fine (all at 40°). I don't have the ultra-fine, but am happy with how my edge came out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Holland

Post by Holland »

good to hear! cant wait for mine to come :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DJ

Post by DJ »

Ive never gotten a bad spyderco knife as of yet.
Ive got quite a few.
Steel Snob M-4
angusW

Post by angusW »

Lockup on mine is very solid but it's a bit stiff compared to the EDC forum Native 5 and the regular Native 5. Was not the sharpest Spyderco I've had but not too bad. It certainly is a good looking knife.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

bh49 wrote:+1
I remember talks about sprint of C95 with improved lock like on Natives. I hope for the blade to be 4mm thick.
I really hope to see the original Manix as a sprint. And yes...4mm is a MUST. And just cause I like to be difficult....4.5 would be even better :D
On the hunt for...