Forum knife tried and failed list.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I am one of those customers that is stuck in NY. The NY shipping restriction impacts me harder than those in the area that actually caused the issue, in that I am hours away from any "border" address that could be used to acquire a forum knife. I chose not to pursue one of the cc specimens, out of principle, (if I was successful in securing one, it would have reminded me more of the hoops I had to jump through to get it, rather than the good experiences I have had here, on the forum.

I also decided to wait a bit for the Mule, to let the SFO handle getting caught up from the flurry of activity that was surrounding the release, only to call Monday morning, and find out that those were gone too...

This blanket restriction policy is REALLY starting to make me re-evaluate whether I am going to continue with what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, with a company that otherwise strikes all the cords that keep my interest piqued... form follows function, optimal HT, continual improvement, respect for the heritage of the industry, forum feedback from Mr. Glesser and crew, and the surprisingly low-key/rarely discussed support for many worthy causes.

The bad taste left by this policy that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the character of this company, is starting to take away from the enjoyment I have previously been getting from this hobby, and I fear that I may abandon the first hobby in my more than 40 yrs, that interested me on so many levels.

/rant
we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Spyderco didn't pass those laws, they're just protecting themselves. It seems your anger is misplaced. As a firearms owner, I know all about legal hoop jumping. But developing a sour attitude is always a personal choice.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I wonder how much I'd have to pay calling long distance from the Philippines. ;)
Chuck, I saw the professor on Gilligan's Island make a transistor radio out of coconuts once.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:Chuck, I saw the professor on Gilligan's Island make a transistor radio out of coconuts once.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID! ;)
Now that is someone with no simpathy... hardcore man! :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mattman

Post by mattman »

gbelleh wrote:Spyderco didn't pass those laws, they're just protecting themselves. It seems your anger is misplaced. As a firearms owner, I know all about legal hoop jumping. But developing a sour attitude is always a personal choice.
If I resided in Manhattan, and held any influence in the politics that brought them the scourge of Vance, I would be more inclined to agree, and would be able to vent my principle argument with local, influential policy-makers, and would shrug Spydercos stance off as understandable. The fact that it is a "blanket" policy, is what is bothering me...
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

mattman wrote:I am one of those customers that is stuck in NY. The NY shipping restriction impacts me harder than those in the area that actually caused the issue, in that I am hours away from any "border" address that could be used to acquire a forum knife. I chose not to pursue one of the cc specimens, out of principle, (if I was successful in securing one, it would have reminded me more of the hoops I had to jump through to get it, rather than the good experiences I have had here, on the forum.

I also decided to wait a bit for the Mule, to let the SFO handle getting caught up from the flurry of activity that was surrounding the release, only to call Monday morning, and find out that those were gone too...

This blanket restriction policy is REALLY starting to make me re-evaluate whether I am going to continue with what is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, with a company that otherwise strikes all the cords that keep my interest piqued... form follows function, optimal HT, continual improvement, respect for the heritage of the industry, forum feedback from Mr. Glesser and crew, and the surprisingly low-key/rarely discussed support for many worthy causes.

The bad taste left by this policy that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the character of this company, is starting to take away from the enjoyment I have previously been getting from this hobby, and I fear that I may abandon the first hobby in my more than 40 yrs, that interested me on so many levels.

/rant
we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Mattman, Yeah this policy really does suck for us upstaters :( but I try not to let that get in the way of enjoying my hobby :) . Next time something like this goes down pm me and I'll get you one. ;)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
GronK

Post by GronK »

Spyderco has to play it safe as long as the laws are the way they are. New Yorkers have two choices. Vote in new laws/lawmakers or leave. This may sound cold but I know some people and companies have left lovely Colorado due to new firearms restrictions.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was only mildly annoyed at the number of them being flipped over on BF. Most are less than MSRP, but we all know they probably used the discount code and were just making a few dollars. If these had been over $300 like some of the eBay listings, I would have been more apt to share my opinion with them.
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

GronK wrote:Spyderco has to play it safe as long as the laws are the way they are. New Yorkers have two choices. Vote in new laws/lawmakers or leave. This may sound cold but I know some people and companies have left lovely Colorado due to new firearms restrictions.
The problem is these are New York City laws and do not apply to the other 60% of New York States population. We have no way to influence the lawmakers because they are not our (upstate) laws. Why not just exclude the 5 boroughs or New York county like other knife retailers instead of screwing the whole state?
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

xceptnl wrote:I was only mildly annoyed at the number of them being flipped over on BF. Most are less than MSRP, but we all know they probably used the discount code and were just making a few dollars. If these had been over $300 like some of the eBay listings, I would have been more apt to share my opinion with them.
Argh. Someone's selling one on BF for +75 though. I'm not looking for a forum knife, but it kind of irks me to see people buy these knives, and then try to sell it for 150% of the original price. Especially when there are many people who wanted one to use. IMO it's supposed to be a valuable keepsake, not a way for some stupid person to make a quick buck. If eventually down the road, you realize it's not the knife for you and you sell it, I think that'd be okay. But the rate at which people are selling it makes me think their original intention was to take advantage of Spyderco's goodwill and make some money off of those who missed their chance at a forum knife.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

People could always have the knives shipped to a family member outside New York. I guess they could also get a PO box in Jersey and occasionally take a road trip.

I'm not saying NY laws aren't stupid. Just saying there is always a creative way around a problem. Complaining about the absolutes of the galaxy only gets us frustrated. Gravity has been making me "overweight" for years but it doesn't care about my opinion on the matter.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I know that there are/were several avenues to use to acquire the forum knife, but, as I said, I wanted to enjoy the pride of ownership of that knife on it's true merits, and not the fact that I would have had to skirt the system to get it.

I also appreciate that Spyderco, as a business, has to protect itself, and the many employees and their families that it supports... I just don't think it is that much harder to exercise the policy in a manner that reflects the origin of the restriction...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Minibear453 wrote:Argh. Someone's selling one on BF for +75 though. I'm not looking for a forum knife, but it kind of irks me to see people buy these knives, and then try to sell it for 150% of the original price. Especially when there are many people who wanted one to use. IMO it's supposed to be a valuable keepsake, not a way for some stupid person to make a quick buck. If eventually down the road, you realize it's not the knife for you and you sell it, I think that'd be okay. But the rate at which people are selling it makes me think their original intention was to take advantage of Spyderco's goodwill and make some money off of those who missed their chance at a forum knife.
Exactly.... one listing even says "just arrived in the mail". That really burns me.
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Blerv wrote:People could always have the knives shipped to a family member outside New York. I guess they could also get a PO box in Jersey and occasionally take a road trip.
That's what I do but I guess everybody doesn't have that option.
Blerv wrote:I'm not saying NY laws aren't stupid.
I am. :p
Blerv wrote:Complaining about the absolutes of the galaxy only gets us frustrated. Gravity has been making me "overweight" for years but it doesn't care about my opinion on the matter.
Gravity doesn't care about your opinion on [the] matter because matter has to much influence on gravity. :rolleyes:
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Some have not been here long enough to remember that Spyderco was forced by ICE to plead guilty to a federal criminal felony charge several years ago over a legal technicality that some thought was at best highly technical. It is entirely understandable that Spyderco does not want to tread close to the line on legal matters like the NY issue.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The NYSAFEACT should have been renamed the NYSUCKSACT..
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TazKristi wrote:I'm afraid since it is a locking folding knife it will fall under the New York State restriction and we will not be able to ship it to any address in the state of NY.

Kristi
Apparently the restriction in question is statewide, not just the five boroughs of NYC.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:Some have not been here long enough to remember that Spyderco was forced by ICE to plead guilty to a federal criminal felony charge several years ago over a legal technicality that some thought was at best highly technical. It is entirely understandable that Spyderco does not want to tread close to the line on legal matters like the NY issue.
I almost forgot about that one (but I'm sure they haven't).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DougC-3 wrote:Apparently the restriction in question is statewide, not just the five boroughs of NYC.
Spyderco has elected to follow the safest path possible. As a lifelong coward, I can't really fault them for that. However, the only place Mr. Vance has any actual authority is New York County aka Manhattan. The DA's of the other 4 counties that make up NYC would probably go along with his rather creative interpretation of a State law that has been on the books for over 50 years, but they are not legally required to do so. As for the rest of the state, the chances of them doing so are about as great as the chances of them adopting any of NYC's hare-brained interpretations of other state laws.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

xceptnl wrote:I was only mildly annoyed at the number of them being flipped over on BF. Most are less than MSRP, but we all know they probably used the discount code and were just making a few dollars. If these had been over $300 like some of the eBay listings, I would have been more apt to share my opinion with them.
Got a link?

I found just one for $225 including shipping and PP fees, US only.

Thanks
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.