Superleaf comparisons to Striders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Superleaf comparisons to Striders?

Post by twinboysdad »

Obviously the Striders are more robust, no argument there, but I was noticing that between the massive thick FFG blade and the choil...some similiarities? Never handled a Strider in person, but for the price difference in the two I for one would prefer a <$150 user than a near $500 piece I might lose. Anyone care to comment?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I am carrying my Superleaf a lot lately, because I'm fairly abusive on my gear, and I don't want to thrash my M390 PM2.

The Superleaf can be had for around $85 at Sierra Trading post (I actually bought a back up there recently).

I don't think I'd want to use a $500 knife the way I feel comfortable using the Superleaf.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

They're nice, I use the snot out of mine and it asks for more. I recommend cc or dgg
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I wouldn't mind having a SNG CC
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I don't want to overstate the comparison, but the SuperLeaf has Strider-like looks without the Strider problems.

I had two SNGs and a Baby Huey with lock issues bad enough that each needed to be returned. As beautiful as they were, I was relieved to be rid of them.

The SuperLeaf has Spyderco's typically flawless QC. I bought a spare when they were closed out.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
GronK

Post by GronK »

razorsharp wrote:Image

They're nice, I use the snot out of mine and it asks for more. I recommend cc or dgg
Next time I feel the need to impale a smartphone I'll consider one. No, wait, I'll just use my $20 Cold Steel sharpened crowbar.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anything on this planet can be compared with anything else. For example, orangutan vs orange.

Both are terrific knives designed for heavier tasks. That's about where the similarities start to fade though.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Forget the Striders and buy you a small Spyderco collection for what one Strider would cost. I had thought for a long time that Spyderco's were the best knives in the world for the money and just confirmed that back on May 31st at The Blade Show. I wanted to go to the show for one reason only and that was to look at and handle knives that I had only seen in magazines. All the knives I looked at had serious issues I would not have wanted in a show knife.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

There's no harm in trying a strider, if it isn't for you, resale will be what you paid ( assuming you didn't really use it). Take this fwiw, but I am a spyderco fan, 80 percent of my knives are spydercos, yet I haven't been able to NOT Carry my SnG, it's like it's THE knife for me. I have an SMF inbound ti try out, when you use and appreciate them, they become addictive like spydies
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Several times I've been standing in front of a dealer with a new Strider in hand, and cash in my pocket. But I can never bring myself to make the exchange. Especially when I start calculating how many Spydies I could get with the same cash.
:bug-red-white
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Just got my first Superleaf about 10 days ago and **** is it a lot of knife for the $97 I found it for. I am really liking the 4mm blade thickness and of course the compression lock. Wish they would offer 4mm in a couple of other models say a PM2 with a saber grind, but that is another topic.
If you have at all been on the fence about the big leaf, give it a try while you can still get them.
Best...
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

Zero Tolerance
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

razorsharp wrote:There's no harm in trying a strider, if it isn't for you, resale will be what you paid ( assuming you didn't really use it). Take this fwiw, but I am a spyderco fan, 80 percent of my knives are spydercos, yet I haven't been able to NOT Carry my SnG, it's like it's THE knife for me. I have an SMF inbound ti try out, when you use and appreciate them, they become addictive like spydies
Travis is speaking truth. I purchased my first after reading the razorsharp thread about the Z-wear. Now I can't get it out of my pocket (or edc bag). The feel is not like the Superleaf though. Nowhere near as smooth.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Where r you guys finding the super leaf below $100? I tried Sierra and they r well over that point as r Bhq and azn.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

With sierra, you need to sign up for all of their various notifications, then you will regularly get 25-35% off coupons in your inbox.

The best one is usually 35% off + 99 cent shipping.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The last coupon I got from Sierra had it at $89 shipped.

(Oops, actually free shipping was with a $100 minimum).
:bug-red-white
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

one excels at taking high res shots of next to bullets and guns, and sitting on the couch flicking repeatedly while watching military movies.

the other is begging to cut things all day, and doesn't really care if you ever take its photo ;)

:p
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mutt wrote:Where r you guys finding the super leaf below $100? I tried Sierra and they r well over that point as r Bhq and azn.
I got a coupon from STP today for 35% off. If you want I can forward you the email with the coupon code.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... SnG-Review

Goodeyesniper, striders beg for use too :)