MT17P K390 Mule Oversold Status

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT17P K390 Mule Oversold Status

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone, first we'd like to say thank you for your enthusiastic support of Spyderco and the Mule Team. We had an unfortunate error on the site over the weekend that wasn't detected until Monday morning. The Mule Team inventory was not properly deducting quantities ordered and allowed multiple orders to go through that shouldn't have (roughly 60 knives)

Our crew is working diligently to reconcile all of the orders to ensure we have a true understanding of what occurred, when it occurred and which specific customers were affected.

Those customers with orders that cannot be filled will be notified via e-mail or in a few cases by phone by the end of business today. If you do not receive notification of this issue than your order should be just fine.

This issue only affects the MT17P orders.

We expect to complete shipping of the MT17P orders by the end of the day on Thursday.

Several folks have asked about the quantity released. It was just shy of 700. There are no plans at this time to produce more MT17P K390 Mules.

We sincerely apologize to all who were inconvenienced. We are doing all that we can to rectify the situation fairly.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

thanks for the update. I'm pretty sure that also means that a Monday morning phone call would be way, way down the list, and basically way too late.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for sharing Kristi.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wow, those sold fast. Eagerly awaiting the next Mule.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

ABX2011 wrote:Wow, those sold fast. Eagerly awaiting the next Mule.
Kind of surprising. I don't recall any others that went so quickly. I wonder if it was the specific steel, increasing popularity of the program, or the relatively long Mule drought. Or maybe it was the simultaneous release of the Forum knife that got folks to throw in a Mule since the shipping was already covered.

Gordon
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

gaj999 wrote:Kind of surprising. I don't recall any others that went so quickly. I wonder if it was the specific steel, increasing popularity of the program, or the relatively long Mule drought. Or maybe it was the simultaneous release of the Forum knife that got folks to throw in a Mule since the shipping was already covered.

Gordon
I'm going to go with desirable steel as the main culprit with simultaneous release of the forum knife as a contributing factor. I probably would have hemmed and hawed over a lesser steel, but I wanted to make darn sure I got my hands on some of that K390.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

gaj999 wrote:Kind of surprising. I don't recall any others that went so quickly. I wonder if it was the specific steel, increasing popularity of the program, or the relatively long Mule drought. Or maybe it was the simultaneous release of the Forum knife that got folks to throw in a Mule since the shipping was already covered.

Gordon
I would guess all of those reasons except maybe - increasing popularity of the program. Not sure about that.
Senate

Post by Senate »

ABX2011 wrote:I would guess all of those reasons except maybe - increasing popularity of the program. Not sure about that.
i think there are a lot of people that aren't Spydercos fan and are attracted to the Mule program when the steel is interesting. interesting meaning rare ie usually offered in higher priced customs. that's why K390 was sold so fast and 8cr13mov took so long.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, I'm one who has never really been interested in Mules until recently. And steel didn't have much to do with it (I don't really know anything about K390). I just always overlooked Mules in favor of folders (that don't require separately buying or making parts). Being able to tack one onto my Native order with free shipping just sealed the deal.
:bug-red-white
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I'd say a element of it was definatly the shipping deal and the steel rarity .
But knives are gaining popularity here in the uk where they are seen differently than in the USA.
Here a knife nut must be an unhinged physco with issues .
Not a collector or somebody using a tool , but they are getting more popular .
I have known since I started collecting at least 4 or 5 people who have started too personally .
Maybe I influenced them idk but they are on the up and once you get around to going through the productions .
Usually starting with mall ninja stuff and cheap knives , then moving on to changing tastes .
Untill you find yourself ordering a spyderco then its financial ruin from there on in .
And if customs aren't your bag the next best thing -A MT .
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

gbelleh wrote:Being able to tack one onto my Native order with free shipping just sealed the deal.
I agree. I think that the mule and forum knife being made available on the same day had a lot of people adding both to their cart. While I was certainly interested in both models, the fact that they were released at the same time made it a no-brainer when it came time to order.
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

gbelleh wrote:Well, I'm one who has never really been interested in Mules until recently. And steel didn't have much to do with it (I don't really know anything about K390). I just always overlooked Mules in favor of folders (that don't require separately buying or making parts). Being able to tack one onto my Native order with free shipping just sealed the deal.
What he said +1
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

Mutt wrote:What he said +1
If any of you *EDITED*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm not sure that's allowed on this forum.

Just to be clear, I was contemplating a Mule purchase for quite a while. But being able to tack it on made it irresistible, regardless of steel. I've already got an interesting idea for the scales (not sure how it will turn out though).
:bug-red-white
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

It's starting to sound to me like the tack it on to the forum knife thing caused the rapid sellout. I figured I had time, based on history. It's not a big deal, I have lots of Mules. Too many, actually, and there are other things in the pipeline that interest me more at this point. It was probably 50/50 whether I was really going to pull the trigger or not. Had I found something else to add on to get free shipping, it would have happened. Two was out of the question, there are more knives I want than there is money in my pocket and I don't own any safe queens. ;)

Gordon
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gaj999 wrote:It's starting to sound to me like the tack it on to the forum knife thing caused the rapid sellout. I figured I had time, based on history. It's not a big deal, I have lots of Mules. Too many, actually, and there are other things in the pipeline that interest me more at this point. It was probably 50/50 whether I was really going to pull the trigger or not. Had I found something else to add on to get free shipping, it would have happened. Two was out of the question, there are more knives I want than there is money in my pocket and I don't own any safe queens. ;)

Gordon
Despite the somewhat inflated prices I have seen on the Forum knife and the usual inflated prices of the previous mules on the secondary market, the K390 has shown up for slightly more than the SFO price in a few places. Good luck.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I think we would have seen this mule sell out regardless of the timing with the forum knife. Just as many people, myself included have been waiting for the K390 mule to come out. It is a premium steel not offered by any other manufacturer to date that I am aware. The only way to get a knife prior to the mule in K390 was through custom makers and I am only aware of a handful that are willing to work with this steel. Since I don't have the funds to purchase a custom knife this may be my only opportunity to own a knife with K390 and I jumped on it as did many others. If they come out with a S110V or REX121 mule I am pretty sure you will see it sell out in the same amount of time or less.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Senate

Post by Senate »

^^ exactly!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
MJF

Post by MJF »

REX 121! I hope this ends up being a possibility, even though I'm hearing it's damned near impossible to work with. The same was said about K390 though, and look at what happened with that.

I'd also be pretty thrilled with 15V. What do you guys think are the possibilities of either of these steels happening? Would this be a completely unreasonable aspiration?
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

I got lucky. Order was cancelled due to over sale but they emailed me one was available due to a cancellation. I jumped on it and it is on the way. Thanks