Dragonfly Suggestions Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What changes would you like to see on a new Dragonfly model?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Round over thumb ramp crest ( ala Caly 3 )
17%
No swedge on blade spine
6%
New premium steel choice
31%
New scale material
47%

Total votes: 90

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted for steel option sand handle materials. I personally think the ergos and shape of the Dragonfly are perfect as they are currently. Th swedge is a really classy touch that reminds me of the Caly Jr. I can take the boye dent or leave it, but bh49 has a good point about the Kopa. I have compared these to models side by side and I have to admit the longer handle and wider choil of the Kopa make my hand feel better, but the Dragonflys compact size is still a hall-of-famer for me. Don't change a thing about the shape.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:Definitely 86 the swedge and the Boye dent. Rounding off the crest of the thumb ramp would be nice, but it's something that's not impossible to do for oneself. Beyond that, I'd be happy to see a version with full liners and really cheap scales.
Do you mean like on the latest Delica evoloution...FRN with steel liners/inserts?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, I'm not sure that a different steel would make me like my Dragonfly anymore. G-10 might, if it wasn't too much heavier, but I can't see going rom ZDP to something like s90v making a huge difference for me. The downfall of my ZDP knives (they're not as tough for heavy use) isn't much of a downside on the little dragonfly.

What other steel do you guys think you'd like to see the Dragonfly in? For your real-world use, I mean, not just as a cool collector's piece.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TomAiello wrote: What other steel do you guys think you'd like to see the Dragonfly in? For your real-world use, I mean, not just as a cool collector's piece.
I am really hoping for a Super Blue model to drop by the end of the year and surprise us. In any color FRN (Navy, White, Grey). Aside from that and a possible Micarta or G-10 color variant I am completely happy with the Dragonfly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'm pretty happy with the Dragonfly the way it is. I voted for differrent handles material thinking at some GITD toxic green FRN - although yellow still remains my favorite (especially in combination with H1) ;) .
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Alot of people suggest S30v On the D-fly but and I think it is a great idea but, I already asked Spyderco about that and they Said "The Dragonfly Is a Japanese Model and S30V is an American steel, Therefore we would not use it on the Dragonfly model." Although a Titanium fluted model would be nice, as well as a G-10 SE model
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Frandad

Post by Frandad »

The dragonfly is my most carried spydie, just a fantastic knife functionally. A more upscale handle would be cool to see. I really liked the nishijin version but the clip was a deal breaker. A Sage 1 carbon fiber scale with a wire clip would be amazing! I would buy three!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

paladin wrote:Do you mean like on the latest Delica evoloution...FRN with steel liners/inserts?
No, I'm talking about doing it the way I wish the FRN Delica 4 and Stretch handles had been done, just like the G-10/CF versions - full liners and stainless backspacer, only with FRN slab scales instead of the more expensive stuff. That way, replacing the scales would be a whole lot easier than it is with the FRN Delica 4, Endura 4, and Stretch, and a a bit less expensive than using the G-10 Dragonfly as a starting point.
TomAiello wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure that a different steel would make me like my Dragonfly anymore. What other steel do you guys think you'd like to see the Dragonfly in? For your real-world use, I mean, not just as a cool collector's piece.
Although I doubt we'll ever see it on any model from Japan, Odin's Eye or Hakkapelitta Damasteel would be my first choices. Great looking stuff and, from all I've read, its performance would comparable to, or better than, VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

In my opinion steel variety and blade shape are very useful and I would not change those if I could.
The only downside is the slim handle. Something with the width of the Robin would serve my needs better than the existing.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Black G10 would get me to buy another one.

Even better would be black linen micarta, smooth sided, it would be so gentle on suit pockets!

I wouldn't mess with the steel or blade shape. VG10 is great for EDC use, it gets sharp, stays that way, and is very quick to touch up. Leaf shaped blades are just perfect.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

A linered Dragonfly with Super Blue.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
endgame

Post by endgame »

Eggerling Damascus blade fluted titanium with file work along the Ba k of blade and. Spine of knife
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Skeletonized ss liners, black G10, M4, Super Blue or???
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't know exactly what you mean buy "round off" like the Caly 3 but I'll tell you what I did. At the front of the jimping I thought the spiine was a little pointy and uncomfortable to my thumb. So I ground it down and rounded it a little. That left the sides a little sharp so I rounded them some too. I voted for that option so I hope that's what you meant.
paladin

Post by paladin »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't know exactly what you mean buy "round off" like the Caly 3 but I'll tell you what I did. At the front of the jimping I thought the spiine was a little pointy and uncomfortable to my thumb. So I ground it down and rounded it a little. That left the sides a little sharp so I rounded them some too. I voted for that option so I hope that's what you meant.
You got it, thanks for your input Jack
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I don't know that I'd change much of anything on the D'fly...'cept maybe make a Ti handled version..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Of course I've gotta reply to this one...

I've been abusing the same ss/ats-55 'fly since 2001... have a glasshart in my storage, and a g-10/vg-10/PE here still... had a CF from the original release as well as a couple in FRN over the years... which means other than the wooden kit I've held each major variant.

Personally I'd love to have one in damascus and Ti... and of course get rid of the boye dent.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Vampyre, good to see you around! I feel like it's been a while. Welcome back!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

jabba359 wrote:Vampyre, good to see you around! I feel like it's been a while. Welcome back!

Yeah, work got in the way of me having time to kill on here. Got downsized 10 weeks ago, so that's not exactly getting in the way for now.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Jazz wrote:I'd leave the shape exactly as is. It's so perfect in ergonomics. Great design, Sal. We just need some sprints with different handle materials and blade steels. I don't know... titanium? Black G10? Aluminum? Tan or brown or olive drab FRN? Definitely keep the wire clip just how it is. It's my favorite knife right now. :) You need a "Keep it as is" in your poll.
+1!