K390 and S110V Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Basically Yes and Yes.

In a bit more detail.

Back in the late nineties Alvin Johnson (custom knife maker - student of metallurgy) in comparisons of 1095 vs ATS-34 (Bos) noted that 1095 held an edge much longer. This wasn't just him talking about work he did (though it included that) people who used his knives reported it, often doing very detailed work (Mike Swaim) but also just being used by guys who didn't know anything about the steels and just did use the ones that didn't work as well (butchers, cowboys).

However even when harder, 1095 does not have the wear resistance of ATS-34 which is a very high wear stainless. Alvin argued from the ASTM standpoint that steels which were designed to have fine cutting edges were designed in a very particular way and it wasn't simply wear resistance it was the ability of the steel to keep a fine cutting edge due to the microstructure.

Skip ahead a decade or so and Roman Landes did a PhD thesis on the very subject and measured the ability of steels to stay stable (keep their shape) under micro-loads on the edge. He found that carbide volume directly reduced this stability and thus Roman will prefer to use steels like AEB-L, S1, and similar. He also has extreme geometries on his knives, how extreme, well this is a chopping knife :

"0.2-0,25mm and an angle of 20-25°total and it still breaks bones wo chips"

That is an edge of < 0.010"/12.5 dps on a chopping blade which cuts bones.

Now put that in comparison to the common thickness/angles being discussed usually here, and arguments that even things like cutting cardboard is abusive as it chips/damages edges.

In short, if you are looking to optimize cutting ability, durability, sharpness and edge retention at high sharpness you will end up with steels in the < 5% carbide volume (with ideal microstructure).

Now to be clear not everyone wants this and some people want (or are willing to tolerate) reduced cutting ability, durability, sharpness, ease of sharpening for edge retention at low sharpness in slicing cuts.

Like most things in steels and cutlery it is a balance of what you want and that is why there are always multiple steels. Even the people who make steels like AEB-L will make others. For example Sandvik makes :

-12C27M

Doesn't have the edge stability of 13C26 (AEB-L) but is much more corrosion resistant to the point it is dishwasher safe.

-19C27

Much more coarse carbide structure, designed to hold a low sharpness in slicing abrasive media

Except for the fact that we aren't talking about steels like AEB-L, 1095, ATS-34, S1, 12C27M etc here......

We are talking about K390 and CPM S110V and comparable steels that include K294 (A11) and CPM S90V, the steel that those two will be compared against at least by me in production knives keeping things apples to apples and fair (South Fork and CF Military, the 2 highest performing production knives I have seen so far based on my testing)

The A11 class of steels have an extremely high compression strength at high hardness and that allows them to be used in knives that are ground very thin with low edge angles and they will have excellent edge stability and do retain high levels of sharpness for good amount of time. They are very fine grained AND very wear resistant, the only drawback is they aren't stain resistant.

CPM S110V has some of the same traits as the A11 class of steels at high hardness.... Fine grained, high compression strength, holds a fine edge.... While being stainless to boot...

Now all of that will depend on the actual knives and how the steels are heat treated, tempered, final hardness range and or if they are CYRO treated or not just like any other steel.

It's not really good to make conclusions on steels based on performance of the steels that aren't at optimal HRC range for what the knives are designed for.

CPM S110V and K390 are a whole different world than most of the other steels that people are used to when prepared to provide optimal performance.

Now back to reality in that we are on the Spyderco forum and CPM S110V and K390 are being used in production knives so we will have to wait and see how they do in those knives before we make any real conclusions of how they perform.

We have to be objective here and fair to Spyderco by not jumping to conclusions before the knives have been tested because there are too many things that we don't know yet to draw any kind of conclusion or even guess.

Anyone can read a data sheet if they can read, but that doesn't really mean much when it comes to the actual knives, only in testing will the truth be found.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Ankerson wrote:Except for the fact that we aren't talking about steels like AEB-L ...
Jim, AEB-L is the benchmark for edge stability (in stainless) which is why it was referenced in the above. The edge stability of A11 is much lower and thus it is inferior to AEB-L in the abilities so noted. These are material properties and they are not subject to debate. Claiming otherwise is in the exact same class as people claiming the earth is flat.

The reason that ATS-34 was noted as it was at that time noted in the background, the stainless steel to use in the custom industry and Bos was the guy to HT it. This background was given out of respect to one of the few makers who made, spoke and utilized metallurgy and didn't promote based on hype and misinformation.

It was also very interesting that he was able to work out very well with very basic experiments the exact same results that Roman measured (with obviously much higher precision) all those years later. And thus while Roman has to be given credit as he developed the rigid methodology, Alvin was arguing the same thing much earlier.

As has been explained to you in the past, PM doesn't improve edge stability, this has been measured in the literature as well. The only thing it does is reduce the random scatter in the measurements, the measures of central tendency (mean, median, etc.) all stay the same.

Nor can Spyderco of course somehow magically change the material properties of the steel, the most they can do is achieve its ideal/expected properties. We also don't need to wait to see if Spyderco's A11 will be more corrosion resistant than 440C (it won't for obvious reasons). It is just as silly to ask if S110V has a similar edge stability to AEB-L (it doesn't for obvious reasons).

Reasonable and interesting questions for people who are familiar with these steels are similar to :

a) Does the S110V in the Native compare well to small shop production/custom knives from people like R. J. Martin?

b) How much performance loss (if any) is seen in the Spyderco A11 class blades compared to Wilsons?

This assumes of course the geometries have been normalized, if you don't normalize the geometries then that can easily be dominant.

For people who don't have experience with these types of blades, then interesting questions are :

a) How hard / difficult does the cutting have to get before there is no advantage to the higher carbide because it fractures at the same amount that a lower carbide steel will wear?

b) Is the extra wear resistance worth it when considering the issues with grindability?

c) Does the higher wear resistance compensate enough for the lower edge stability?

These are questions which can change from person to person so it is interesting to see how different people will view the steels. Someone reading this can then look at how people with uses similar to theirs select steels and use that information accordingly.

But again it isn't interesting, or even useful to even imply that Spyderco can surpass the actual material properties of these steels, and Spyderco itself would never make such claims nor would ANY maker who has even basic respect / knowledge of metallurgy.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Jim, AEB-L is the benchmark for edge stability (in stainless) which is why it was referenced in the above. The edge stability of A11 is much lower and thus it is inferior to AEB-L in the abilities so noted. These are material properties and they are not subject to debate. Claiming otherwise is in the exact same class as people claiming the earth is flat.
That's the 1st I have heard of that one....... Being it was designed to be a razor blade steel from the beginning......

Who established that standard, that is the real question.....
Cliff Stamp wrote:
The reason that ATS-34 was noted as it was at that time noted in the background, the stainless steel to use in the custom industry and Bos was the guy to HT it. This background was given out of respect to one of the few makers who made, spoke and utilized metallurgy and didn't promote based on hype and misinformation.
Ok. 154CM.... And?
Cliff Stamp wrote:
It was also very interesting that he was able to work out very well with very basic experiments the exact same results that Roman measured (with obviously much higher precision) all those years later. And thus while Roman has to be given credit as he developed the rigid methodology, Alvin was arguing the same thing much earlier.
I really don't care what he says, and really never did, he makes kitchen knives for the most part so his steel choices go right a long with what he usually makes. No real surprises there that his findings support what he is trying to sell.....

Doesn't take a PHD to figure out that one....
Cliff Stamp wrote:
As has been explained to you in the past, PM doesn't improve edge stability, this has been measured in the literature as well. The only thing it does is reduce the random scatter in the measurements, the measures of central tendency (mean, median, etc.) all stay the same.
And I still don't agree based on my own test results......

But then I am not trying to sell anyone anything either so I can remain objective....
Cliff Stamp wrote:
Nor can Spyderco of course somehow magically change the material properties of the steel, the most they can do is achieve its ideal/expected properties. We also don't need to wait to see if Spyderco's A11 will be more corrosion resistant than 440C (it won't for obvious reasons). It is just as silly to ask if S110V has a similar edge stability to AEB-L (it doesn't for obvious reasons).
Some of that is obvious based on alloy content, while some really isn't....
Cliff Stamp wrote:
Reasonable and interesting questions for people who are familiar with these steels are similar to :

a) Does the S110V in the Native compare well to small shop production/custom knives from people like R. J. Martin?

b) How much performance loss (if any) is seen in the Spyderco A11 class blades compared to Wilsons?

This assumes of course the geometries have been normalized, if you don't normalize the geometries then that can easily be dominant.

For people who don't have experience with these types of blades, then interesting questions are :

a) How hard / difficult does the cutting have to get before there is no advantage to the higher carbide because it fractures at the same amount that a lower carbide steel will wear?

b) Is the extra wear resistance worth it when considering the issues with grindability?

c) Does the higher wear resistance compensate enough for the lower edge stability?

These are questions which can change from person to person so it is interesting to see how different people will view the steels. Someone reading this can then look at how people with uses similar to theirs select steels and use that information accordingly.

But again it isn't interesting, or even useful to even imply that Spyderco can surpass the actual material properties of these steels, and Spyderco itself would never make such claims nor would ANY maker who has even basic respect / knowledge of metallurgy.
Now that does make since.....

But then comparing production knives to customs is questionable at best as always.

Also AEB-L doesn't have the wear resistance and or edge retention of A11, they aren't even on the same planet..... So I am not sure where you are trying to go with that since AEB-L has almost zero carbide development as none of the 13% Chromium is pulled into the matrix for carbide development. So any kind of edge retention results directly from HRC hardness, pretty much the same as for the simple carbon steels, makes it easy to sharpen though and that was by design.

AEB-L will be as dull as a butter knife long before A11 will lose any kind of real percentage of sharpness... That's cutting the same material in like knives....
Niles

Post by Niles »

Can someone dumb this down for me a bit?

Speculating, what do we hope these mules will be best for? Ie, hard edc backwoods use (carving and hacking at wood, etc); no chopping but slicing forever; cutting tomatoes in the kitchen and strings off your clothes; ...?

I was under the impression I would be able to use this knife hard and it would stay sharp for a really long time, but I'd need to be careful to not chip the edge...?

Also, when I get the knife should I regrind the edge angle, or leave it be. Micro bevel, no micro bevel?

If you could submit your answer in crayon drawn pictures, that would be best ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate the high level info too. I just don't understand most of it.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Niles wrote:Can someone dumb this down for me a bit?

Speculating, what do we hope these mules will be best for? Ie, hard edc backwoods use (carving and hacking at wood, etc); no chopping but slicing forever; cutting tomatoes in the kitchen and strings off your clothes; ...?

I was under the impression I would be able to use this knife hard and it would stay sharp for a really long time, but I'd need to be careful to not chip the edge...?

Also, when I get the knife should I regrind the edge angle, or leave it be. Micro bevel, no micro bevel?

If you could submit your answer in crayon drawn pictures, that would be best ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate the high level info too. I just don't understand most of it.

The Mules aren't really that thin behind the edge so I don't foresee any real issues with K390 and the use of the said knife being that the blade isn't really that long either so normal use would be expected, use it like you would a Normal S30V Military.

Just don't do any prying with it as they are distal tapered, but that would be common since.

In short just use the knife and enjoy it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words
Holland

Post by Holland »

nice photos Vash! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nice. :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Is that Kevlar Vash?

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It was a 4"x20' nylon strap. Reduced to 1" strips. The edge was still usable after. It would still cut cardboard but wouldn't slice paper cleanly. Before i even cut that strap I whittled on some green Louisiana oak. I even twisted the knife out of some knots with no damage to the edge. The oak sap did stain the blade a little but nothing too bad. It also got back to hair popping with just a few passes on my DMT coarse stone. So roughly 240 cuts into 1/4" nylon and the edge still cut. I'm impressed. More to come. Wanted to add that when I was finished the edge hadn't burred or anything and wasn't reflecting light. It just wouldn't shave anymore except for the tip which saw very little action. I used the 2" of the back of the edge for most of these cuts. If my Auto Reciprocating Mechanical Saw wasn't so tired I would have cut into another strap. Maybe today my A.R.M.S. might be rested
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:It was a 4"x20' nylon strap. Reduced to 1" strips. The edge was still usable after. It would still cut cardboard but wouldn't slice paper cleanly. Before i even cut that strap I whittled on some green Louisiana oak. I even twisted the knife out of some knots with no damage to the edge. The oak sap did stain the blade a little but nothing too bad. It also got back to hair popping with just a few passes on my DMT coarse stone. So roughly 240 cuts into 1/4" nylon and the edge still cut. I'm impressed. More to come. Wanted to add that when I was finished the edge hadn't burred or anything and wasn't reflecting light. It just wouldn't shave anymore except for the tip which saw very little action. I used the 2" of the back of the edge for most of these cuts. If my Auto Reciprocating Mechanical Saw wasn't so tired I would have cut into another strap. Maybe today my A.R.M.S. might be rested
Sounds like a winner to me, mine will be here next week, can't wait to get my hands on it. :D
Jax

Post by Jax »

A.R.M.S. Ha that kills me vash :) Very funny,thanks for the laugh :)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Ankerson wrote: Who established that standard, that is the real question.....
Physics, it is a measured quantity.
I really don't care what he says, and really never did, he makes kitchen knives for the most part so his steel choices go right a long with what he usually makes.
He is a metallurgist and works in that field.

He makes all kinds of knives not simply kitchen knives, and his information is based on published materials data not what is necessary to sell his knives.

Now of course his knives are made in according to the metallurgical data, but it is completely nonsensical to even imply that the correlation goes the other way.

Again, he cites PUBLISHED materials data, implying it is false because you can't see it is no different than saying the world is flat because when you look out you just see flat surfaces.
Also AEB-L doesn't have the wear resistance and or edge retention of A11, they aren't even on the same planet.
Again, it has a higher wear resistance and higher edge retention than A11 at lower angles and higher sharpness.

The standard pin on disk wear tests do not apply to how edges behave, I have corrected you on this before and shown you the material references which again show that to be false.

It should also be trivial in use that pin on disk wear can not translate to edge retention directly because edges don't wear in that manner at all.

As just one example, here are some shots of 10V (Wilson) cutting cardboard (these are 50X).

This is the edge after a little work, still not in the tailing stage of blunting :

You can already see at this stage that it is wearing by fracture. It has to do this because of the nature of the primary aggregate which is very large due to the high carbide fraction.

This continues and you get a mix of fracture and then smooth wear around the fracture. The fractures themselves can blow out if you keep cutting.

This is after ~250 m, or 750 cuts.

The knife has thus lost much more steel from the edge than AEB-L (which just wear down smooth) so it has less wear resistance at the edge and will take of course much longer to grind back to sharp.

Again it doesn't have the edge stability to hold the angle used in the cutting. Now of course you can simply increase the angle to stabilize the carbides and thus trade off cutting ability.

However even if you do this the difference after blunting the blades to very low sharpness would be on the order of 1% between AEB-L and 10V if ran on such material. Again this is also basic physics because of the nonlinear way in which materials blunt.

As for custom vs production, it is hardly the case that all custom knives are superior to all production knives or the reverse.

The performance will be optimal in whoever :

-does the best thermal processing of the steel

-grinds the blade to best suit those properties and the intended purpose

There are custom and production blades which do this well and custom and production which don't.

It is also getting harder to even know what these labels mean as more and more makers start using :

-cnc pre cut pieces
-make large batches of identical knives from WJ blanks
-have other people hired to do the grinding (and assembling)

There are still people who make custom knives, but not all of them optimize the knife/steel for low stress cutting. A lot of them would easily be dominated in any scale/rope cutting by a Byrd in 8Cr12Mov.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Who the heck uses 5 dps bevels on pocket knives anyway? And of what use are those kinds of edges?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
There are still people who make custom knives, but not all of them optimize the knife/steel for low stress cutting. A lot of them would easily be dominated in any scale/rope cutting by a Byrd in 8Cr12Mov.

I have seen that in testing, not a Byrd, but close enough.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Who the heck uses 5 dps bevels on pocket knives anyway? And of what use are those kinds of edges?

Nobody really does.....

For the purpose of testing and slanting the results a certain way to meet an agenda it weakens the edge so much that it will suffer damage much, much sooner than it normally would....

It's like they weaken the blade as much as they possibly can and then go "see it failed" ..... ROFL

The reason why I don't go below 10 DPS or even to 10 DPS on most knives because it weakens the edge too much, not enough steel behind the edge to give support to the edge so it will fail and any kind of side loading at all will cause severe damage..

It's like a piece of glass for example....

Keep it pretty thick and it's reasonably strong, make it really thin and it will snap very easy.....

By contrast you can take a blade and really thin it out to around .005" and put a reasonable edge angle on it like 10 DPS or 15 DPS and it would be reasonably strong because the edge bevel has enough steel behind it.

Also the reason why most people who go too low with their edge angles on knives that are the normal .025" behind the edge have issues, the bevel is thinned out too much when they drop down to 10 DPS to support the edge... Now they can do that and use a micro bevel (15 DPS) to strengthen the edge.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote: Again it doesn't have the edge stability to hold the angle used in the cutting. Now of course you can simply increase the angle to stabilize the carbides and thus trade off cutting ability.

Yeah on a blade that thin going from 5 DPS to 10 DPS won't make any noticeable difference in cutting ability....

Or you could have just used a very small micro bevel.......

But then the edge wouldn't have been that weak now would it? ;)

All you did was weaken the edge to the point of guaranteed early failure... Yes I have done the testing too so it's not a surprise to me at all.

It's like punching a brick wall with your bare hand... WOW I broke my hand....

In contrast doing the same with a boxing glove on.....
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Did some googling about AEB-L and it seems it would be a good slicer, razor blade or kitchen knife steel which is what it seems to be primarily used for. Would be a good indoor knife.

Its also 20 years or more old..hard for me to believe it would be better than K390..

5 DPS? Such an edge is only marginally useful in normal knife use at best..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Did some googling about AEB-L and it seems it would be a good slicer, razor blade or kitchen knife steel which is what it seems to be primarily used for.

5 DPS? Such an edge is only marginally useful in normal knife use at best..

Yes, it is a good steel for razor blades because that's what it was developed for from the beginning. :)

And it make a nice kitchen knife steel because it's stainless and easy to sharpen.

5 DPS is a ridiculously low edge angle.......
neocacher

Post by neocacher »

Received my 2 forum Natives today. They are sweet and I love the handle color and texture.