My Centofante Memory - now with 100% less blue!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

My Centofante Memory - now with 100% less blue!

Post by gbelleh »

I've always really liked the size, shape, blade, and smooth operation of the Centofante Memory. But, the shiny blue handles were a little too blingy for my personal tastes. A while ago, I bought a second Memory with the intention of trying to remove the blue anodizing from my carry Memory. Today, I finally got around to doing it!

I was a little worried, this being my first attempt at modding a Spyderco. But, the Memory was very simple to disassemble and work with. The blue coloring came right off with about 15 minutes of buffing with a Dremel. Then I lightly stonewashed it and finished it with some fine steel wool. I really like how it turned out! I was concerned about the lack of contrast with silver glass fiber and bare titanium, but I actually like it better like this, and I don't have any plans to try to make a replacement onlay right now. Though I might try to make one with wood if I also attempt wooden Mule scales. Or I might try dying the glass fiber.

Here are the pics (sorry about the quality, might try to take better ones later)...

There are still hints of blue in places. I kind of like a little subtle blue still showing through in a few spots, so I wasn't necessarily trying to get every speck off.

Here is a side-by-side with a NIB Memory for comparison. Quite a difference!

I'm sure this Memory will be in my pocket for the next few weeks. The stonewashed finish looks great, and eliminates worrying about scratches. :D
:bug-red-white
alerin

Post by alerin »

I'm with you, looks better and I think you inspired me to do the same, great job!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Very nice. I was a little turned off by those blue handles myself although I do love a lot the Centofante Memory model. The natural colour of titanium seems more appropriate and more appealing (at least to me). Enjoy your "new and improved" fine knife.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Looks great! If it was more lefty friendly I would be very tempted to try something similar...the blue always put me off.
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I kind of liked the blue, but I love the natural Ti look even more. Nice work!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks much better. FYI, you can remove anodizing with Easy Off oven cleaner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I saw a lot about using Easy Off on aluminum, but I read some reports of it not working on titanium. Using the Dremel couldn't have been much easier. It just came right off.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Sprint run preview? Unless Blue was a favourite of Mr Centofante then I can see this being sold.
Very nice, I've got no problem with the blue myself but this is more my style.

Nice work.

lol I just relooked at the pictures before posting, if this was available in your less blue version I would love the blue, it pops on camera.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work! Never really took a close look at the Memory before, but this thread makes me want one. The stonewash looks really good. Next, you need to buy a third to strip and re-anodize bronze :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gbelleh wrote:I saw a lot about using Easy Off on aluminum, but I read some reports of it not working on titanium. Using the Dremel couldn't have been much easier. It just came right off.
I really don't think the metal type has anything to do with how effective it is at removing the coating. I'm also not completely sure but I think the coating and process of coating is the same for AL/Ti so it should still work. If not, another thing you may try in the future is Permatex gasket remover. It's an automotive product used for removing gasket material off cylinder heads and such. You can sometimes find it in parts stores or you can order it online. I use it as a paint/powder coat stripper and it works outstandingly well, FAR better than any "aircraft stripper" that I've tried, and I have literally tried every kind of commercially available paint stripper there is (I used to restore vintage car rims as a hobby). I would bet a knife or two that the gasket remover would make short work of the anodizing and not harm the metal underneath.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

That looks nice. Very gentlemanly.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
paladin

Post by paladin »

More classy now, IMHO...and thanks for all the different ideas you & evil shared about removing anodizing...thanks!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Personally, I like the blue better but your mod looks really nice. Great work.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Looks great, I prefer it over the blue
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

You did a great job! It looks fantastic!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:I really don't think the metal type has anything to do with how effective it is at removing the coating. I'm also not completely sure but I think the coating and process of coating is the same for AL/Ti so it should still work. If not, another thing you may try in the future is Permatex gasket remover. It's an automotive product used for removing gasket material off cylinder heads and such. You can sometimes find it in parts stores or you can order it online. I use it as a paint/powder coat stripper and it works outstandingly well, FAR better than any "aircraft stripper" that I've tried, and I have literally tried every kind of commercially available paint stripper there is (I used to restore vintage car rims as a hobby). I would bet a knife or two that the gasket remover would make short work of the anodizing and not harm the metal underneath.
FWIW, while I'm sure both those methods would work on Almite, Tufram, and other coatings, I'm far less certain either would work on anodizing. That's because it's not a "coating" it's a process that chemically changes the color of the material being anodized, much the same as how bluing colors the steel of a firearm.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

That is a nice look. The blue is nice too, however any coating inevitably gets scratches and IMO, never looks as good as the base material with no coating.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The LessBlue version looks like something I'd be more inclined to pick up and use. The blue version looked almost like a piece of jewelry or fine art - but not much like a user...

TedP
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the comments. Today in broad daylight, I decided there was a bit too much blue still showing through, so I removed more. I'm satisfied with the coloring now, but it removed a lot of the stonewashed finish too. Someday I might re-stonewash the outer handles. Here are some better pictures.