Forum knife tried and failed list.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Slash wrote:Why on earth would you wait 3 hrs after the feeding frenzy started?
Many people on the failed list didn't wait, turns out the website was broken for more than 3 hours and people couldn't place orders. I got on the website right after 9:00 MDT but didn't matter, the website was already broken and didn't work for the 2 hours that I tried.
Slash

Post by Slash »

DJ wrote:you sound like a twelve year old , with no responsibility ..........LOL
I sign my own paychecks.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I tried to order the 2013 Forum Knife as soon as I remembered it was going up for sale -- that was on the 20th of July! :eek:

Work and other life responsibilities had me distracted. Needless to say, it was already "out of stock." I was somewhat surprised that it sold out so soon, having seen the performance of previous forum knives. However, this knife did have some premium materials to boost its appeal. 700 of the 2013 forum knives sold?!?!? That's a heck of a lot more than the Forum Lava and Adventura (plus maybe one or two more forum knife runs) put together.

I'll try to get one of the regular run models though.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Slash wrote:I sign my own paychecks.
How does that work? If I'd done that, they'd have thrown me in jail ;)

Even business owners actually get "paid" by their customers.

(I realize that wasn't your point, brother, just struck me as funny... Carry on... ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

I missed out and I was super bummed. I was out of town and did not have access to a computer. =o(
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

Anyone that still wants a forum knife only needs to wait a bit for those that bought them to flip, put them up for a profit. There will also be those that bought them to try and then realize they don't like them, want to trade for another shiny new knife that has caught their attention or what have you. They will put them up for sale on various other forums and ebay. Just keep a look out for one.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

FarmerTed wrote:Anyone that still wants a forum knife only needs to wait a bit for those that bought them to flip, put them up for a profit. There will also be those that bought them to try and then realize they don't like them, want to trade for another shiny new knife that has caught their attention or what have you. They will put them up for sale on various other forums and ebay. Just keep a look out for one.
That's true, Ted, but the idea was to buy one before they get marked up to $300+ by scalpers.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

OK, joining this thread, as I also missed the opportunity to buy one of the forum knives.
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
DJ

Post by DJ »

Upon trying and failing ...........I put my name on a list at spyderco..............
They called me today and said they had one for me. :cool:
Steel Snob M-4
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DJ wrote:Upon trying and failing ...........I put my name on a list at spyderco..............
They called me today and said they had one for me. :cool:
Congratulations on not giving up! Good surprises do happen from time to time :p
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Prospero wrote:but the idea was to buy one before they get marked up to $300+ by scalpers.
Spyderco is only partway through shipping them but I see that there are already 9 of them online for auction, with starting prices up to $399 each!

Somebody asked me if I thought that the scalpers had ways around server issues. I don't know how they do it but I think they must obviously have some way to get the knives when the ordinary enthusiast does not. I was on the website within minutes of the knives being available, I tried for 2 hours to buy one and could not because the website couldn't look up states or zip codes. But yet out of the first few knives shipped by Spyderco, at least 9 were ordered by scalpers despite the problems with the website. So yes there is some evidence that the scalpers can do what the rest of us cannot.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bdblue wrote:Spyderco is only partway through shipping them but I see that there are already 9 of them online for auction, with starting prices up to $399 each!

Somebody asked me if I thought that the scalpers had ways around server issues. I don't know how they do it but I think they must obviously have some way to get the knives when the ordinary enthusiast does not. I was on the website within minutes of the knives being available, I tried for 2 hours to buy one and could not because the website couldn't look up states or zip codes. But yet out of the first few knives shipped by Spyderco, at least 9 were ordered by scalpers despite the problems with the website. So yes there is some evidence that the scalpers can do what the rest of us cannot.
I'm a "ordinary enthusiast" and I managed to get one..by CALLING..you know that antiquated invention called a phone..works every time..
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:I'm a "ordinary enthusiast" and I managed to get one..by CALLING..you know that antiquated invention called a phone..works every time..
I wonder how much I'd have to pay calling long distance from the Philippines. ;)

What works for you may not work for others, let's not be so smug, ok?
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bdblue wrote: Somebody asked me if I thought that the scalpers had ways around server issues. I don't know how they do it but I think they must obviously have some way to get the knives when the ordinary enthusiast does not.
Oh come on, this is the most ridiculous "conspiracy theory" I've ever heard. They were available for three hours, and the computer problems were mostly gone after the first hour. If you tried for two and failed, there must have been a problem on YOUR end. These were not hard knives to get if you were there at the right time.

Lots and lots of enthusiasts got their hands on these knives. You are looking at ten "flippers" currently visible out of over 700 knives sold and coming to a ridiculous assumption that they had some magic way to get the knives that the rest of us didn't.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bdblue wrote:Many people on the failed list didn't wait, turns out the website was broken for more than 3 hours and people couldn't place orders. I got on the website right after 9:00 MDT but didn't matter, the website was already broken and didn't work for the 2 hours that I tried.
Sorry you got shut out, but your experience was NOT the norm. Most folks had great difficulty between 9 and 10 MDT but, aside from you, their orders went through just fine after that. Mine, for example, went through at 10:02 MDT

bdblue wrote:Spyderco is only partway through shipping them but I see that there are already 9 of them online for auction, with starting prices up to $399 each!

While, to me, 9 knives out of 700+ is trivial. Especially since 2 of those are/were Collectors Club numbered knives being sold by Collectors Club members who, by the club's rules, had to take the knife whether they wanted it or not. That leaves 7 out of over 700. Some of the others may be folks who work for, have relatives who work for, or just live near Spyderco. Others may have paid the high price for overnight shipping just so they could get them quickly for resale. One uses stock photos, so that seller may not even have the knife in hand yet.

We need to realize that there is absolutely no "system" Spyderco could have used which would have insured that only good, honest, dedicated Spyderco fans who intended to keep their knives forever were eligible to purchase these knives and that everyone who was eligible actually got to purchase at least one of them. TBH, the only folks I truly feel got the short smelly end of the stick were those who live in New York.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:
We need to realize that there is absolutely no "system" Spyderco could have used which would have insured that only good, honest, dedicated Spyderco fans who intended to keep their knives forever were eligible to purchase these knives and that everyone who was eligible actually got to purchase at least one of them. TBH, the only folks I truly feel got the short smelly end of the stick were those who live in New York.
Agreed!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I was on the road and couldn't even try. Does that count? I was home just in time to order a Mule during the period when they appear to have been oversold, but I held off. Actually that's a good thing - I'd be chewing my fingers off now wondering whether or not I was going to get one.

Gordon
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I "failed" to have the balls to buy this last week and I still feel a little sick. Unfortunately when I miss out on an opportunity for a knife I'm usually too quick to buy the next one and overspend on something of which I'll grow bored.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's been consistent around here that when Sal, Kristi and the Spyderco team do the most or greatest voluntary and decent things for us forumites by far it seems to bring out the most grumbling. The last forum knife caused a lot of grumbling but there was a non spyderco person to focus hate on. :) Quick, someone think up a non spyderco diversion for us to throw rocks at!

By the way, thanks Sal and the Spyderco team for going way above and beyond on this one. Two bonafide super steel knife releases bringing on enough traffic to clog up the system must take a herculean effort to get through in the time taken. Pretty amazing!

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Invective

Post by Invective »

bdblue wrote:Somebody asked me if I thought that the scalpers had ways around server issues. I don't know how they do it but I think they must obviously have some way to get the knives when the ordinary enthusiast does not. I was on the website within minutes of the knives being available, I tried for 2 hours to buy one and could not because the website couldn't look up states or zip codes. But yet out of the first few knives shipped by Spyderco, at least 9 were ordered by scalpers despite the problems with the website. So yes there is some evidence that the scalpers can do what the rest of us cannot.
Just look at http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... PGR5-Usage

and http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... knife+2013

and you'll see that many regular Spyderco forum members had no problem getting theirs. Just because you weren't able to get one doesn't mean that scammers are out there scheming on ways to get forum knives faster than the regular forum member.