Micarta Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MatthewSB

Micarta Scales

Post by MatthewSB »

Looking through old models there seem to be quite a few that were done with Micarta scales. Is there a particular reason that they aren't made anymore?

A Native 5 would be awesome in black linen micarta...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

MatthewSB wrote:Looking through old models there seem to be quite a few that were done with Micarta scales. Is there a particular reason that they aren't made anymore?

A Native 5 would be awesome in black linen micarta...
I completely agree but Sal has mentioned they have stability issues (the size changes) with Micarta, making really tight fit and finish difficult. The last Micarta I picked up was the Phoenix and the way the Micarta is mounted on the ti, that wasn't an issue with that model.

Ken
玉鋼
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

kbuzbee wrote:I completely agree but Sal has mentioned they have stability issues (the size changes) with Micarta, making really tight fit and finish difficult. The last Micarta I picked up was the Phoenix and the way the Micarta is mounted on the ti, that wasn't an issue with that model.

Ken
I guess I didn't think of that. I've had fixed blade knives with micarta that moved enough to break the epoxy loose and peel away from the tang.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Micarta is a wonderful scale material - but the things that make it so comfortable in-hand also make it harder for knife makers to maintain QC with.

For instance, if you go look up the water absorption specs for micarta and G-10, it shows that micarta is not porous and does not degrade with exposure to water. However - it does soak up more water than G-10. The numbers I saw were the results of a 24-hour immersion test - and G-10 gained approximately 0.07% of its weight in water, while canvas micarta gained approximately 0.5% of its weight in water. Both amounts were microscopic - but the micarta does have some exposed cotton fiber at the surface which can wick some moisture and cause instability. Oddly enough, it is this same characteristic that makes micarta so comfortable, grippy and warm in-hand.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of micarta and absolutely love some of the vintage Westinghouse linen micarta that is out there. It makes extraordinary scales. But in a production environment, this unpredictability translates directly to reduced efficiency, QC issues, and increased cost. I understand Sal's decision, but... "Sigh."

TedP
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I love micarta, too. I once bought a Zowada just for the scales. :) I can tell you that micarta does absorb some water. I did one of the Mules with micarta and we use it in the kitchen - definitely not "waterproof."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Add me to the list of those saddened by the dearth of Micarta offerings. To me, it's the most elegant of the man-made handle materials. As for stability, I have a bunch of vintage Micarta Spydercos and I've never noticed any. The only "negative" I've personally witnessed is the tendency of light colored Micarta to discolor around the pins. I suspect that's a result of the absorbency TedP mentioned wicking some of the factory lubricant into the fibers surrounding the pins. But, to be fair, stability must not be all that important to me. My favorite scale materials are wood, bone, antler, and ivory, and every one of them is less stable than Micarta.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I liked the black micarta that was used in the black Mini-Persian. It contrasted nicely versus the stainless bolsters. I generally don't think about micarta but it's OK by me. I have a very small and elegant Al Mar that has micarta scales and it's great. It's my only non-Spyderco, oddly enough.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I love the all construction micarta handles and try to get my hands on them whenever I can. After seeing the polished G-10 on the Des Horn, it is the closest thing to the micarta handles offered by Spyderco today. Not to change the subject of this thread, but after I bought the Des Horn I wondered why Spyderco does not make more knives this way with all G10? I notice that all the G10 knives by Spyderco have liners, is that because G10 is not as rigid as micarta?
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Micarta is my favorite handle material for all types of knives. I always get it on my custom knives, whether a fixed blade or a traditional folder. I no longer feel the need to buy custom modern type folders, so I would love to see if offered on a Spyderco again one day.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Micarta, I love it & have a Ban Tang Santoku kitchen knife with linen micarta scales. When new, this scale fit looked gapped & sloppy But after use & time & probably due to the moisture absorbtion mentioned the scales tightened up & fit great. No peeling or breaking away as you mentioned Matthew.
It seems to me that Ban knows how to work with what may be seen to be it's negative properties.
O.
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

I don't have a Spyderco that I have Mod'd with Micarta (yet).
If you will excuse my introduction of the of the non Spyderco pic to this thread, I have a couple of pics of my ZT0300 with Canvas Micarta in O D Green.
One of the things about Micarta that I like most, is how the surface, when rough sanded, and left "unsealed", has an always evolving patina. I sanded these scales to 50 grit only.
Thanks, Dan.
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Add me to the list of those saddened by the dearth of Micarta offerings. To me, it's the most elegant of the man-made handle materials.
+1
I will take micarta over G10, CF, Ti. There are few knives, which I bought just due to the beauty of micarta scales. Nice wood would beat micarta though. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Here's a Tenacious I fashioned some od micarta scales and back spacer for.
Thanks for looking!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Onionman wrote:I love the all construction micarta handles and try to get my hands on them whenever I can. After seeing the polished G-10 on the Des Horn, it is the closest thing to the micarta handles offered by Spyderco today. Not to change the subject of this thread, but after I bought the Des Horn I wondered why Spyderco does not make more knives this way with all G10? I notice that all the G10 knives by Spyderco have liners, is that because G10 is not as rigid as micarta?
I think they don't do G-10 unlined for the same reason they stopped doing unlined micarta -- the clip screws can strip out the G-10.

Count me in as another that mourns the death of Spyderco's Micarta use. I would really liek to get a Jess Horn with FFG blade, Micarta scales, and an updated (over the original AUS-8) steel.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have mentioned several times on this forum that I would appreciate some knives being made with micarta. One of the reasons years ago I bought a Spyderco Viele was the beautiful dark brown linen micarta scales.
However, I do have some older BM knives that have layered G10 that is done in such a manner as to look like micarta. They look great but do not have the warmth of micarta.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050