Forum knife purchases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

Forum knife purchases

Post by Bladekeeper »

Hi just wanted to know owing to curiosity who managed to grab a forum native .
Other than trawling through the other thread thought those who managed to make the buy could post here .
Their thoughts if they grabbed one or two if it was two for them or a spare , or a friend or to put one on evil bay .
Just a bit of research as well as to how they sold and if any long time members who wanted one missed out .
I'd be appreciative of any input and also your opinions on the knife once in hand obviously it'll be a few days before they arrive .
There's been a lot of trolling here and I wasn't around for any previous forum knife releases .
I wonder if we will see a drop off in the new members who have conducted themselves poorly .
Personally I didn't go for one financial reasons and also our ever increasing import laws make it a bit of a gamble .
From the other thread I read other stockists have them ?? I am confused have they brought them as members ?.
Or where some allocated an amount also one last thing how many exactly were produced , was it solely the one run ?.
Sorry if some answers are in the other thread but still hopefully there will be done feedback thanks.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I thought they were going on sale on Thursday?

Please tell me I didn't miss this...
Clip

Post by Clip »

You're good I think Tom. I also thought it was Thurs 0900 mountain time. I wonder if Bladekeeper is referring to the few collector numbers that became available at the usual dealers.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Yeah they dont go on sell until Thursday but i few dealers got a few? i believe
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Like said above they won't be released until the 18th. The forum knives seen on some sights are through the collector club.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Sorry guys my usual problem occurring I'm in the uk I work online , ill view the date then think of the morning as I posted at 5am ish uk time as (tomorrow) that and the delirium caused by sunburn :D .
But still if anyone can give me the numbers including the collectors edition being made and then those lucky ones hopefully will reply on the 18th.
Sorry for any confusion Doh .
Senate

Post by Senate »

i think we'll have the final number of knives produced on the product page tomorrow. and yeah the knives that have been already sold were from the non allocated collector club batch (first 200 knives for any model/variation).
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bladekeeper wrote:Sorry guys my usual problem occurring I'm in the uk I work online , ill view the date then think of the morning as I posted at 5am ish uk time as (tomorrow) that and the delirium caused by sunburn :D .
But still if anyone can give me the numbers including the collectors edition being made and then those lucky ones hopefully will reply on the 18th.
Sorry for any confusion Doh .
Do keep in mind that this particular knife has been made as a Forum Knife, not a Sprint. So, while Spyderco may tell us at some point how many are being made, there really should not be any expectation on our part that they will do so. As for the Collectors Club numbered ones, AFAIK, the only knives that get numbered are those for active accounts at whatever level(s) of membership are scheduled to receive that particular piece. So, unless all 200 memberships are subscribed, it will always be less than 200.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Do forum knives usually become collectible?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Buendia518 wrote:Do forum knives usually become collectible?
Yes. To be honest, I can't really think of any Spyderco knife that, once no longer available from dealers and/or Spyderco themselves, did not become collectible to at least some degree.
Paul
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

A forum Military recently sold on eBay for over $1,100, so it seems forum knives can be highly collectible. :)
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Do keep in mind that this particular knife has been made as a Forum Knife, not a Sprint. So, while Spyderco may tell us at some point how many are being made, there really should not be any expectation on our part that they will do so. As for the Collectors Club numbered ones, AFAIK, the only knives that get numbered are those for active accounts at whatever level(s) of membership are scheduled to receive that particular piece. So, unless all 200 memberships are subscribed, it will always be less than 200.
By the statement I put in bold do you mean they may make less or do you mean more. Or, you just don't know either way?

I was not expecting the forum knife to be one I wanted actually. I don't know why but I figured it would be one of the more unusual designs like the yojimbo or something. I've had a Sage5 on my wish list for a long time and now it's a forum knife to boot. :D I don't know what I will do. :confused: :confused: My knife $ have already been planned for some other stuff. OTOH, this opportunity won't be around long. Once again, Spyderco has seriously made my life more complicated. :D

CORRECTION:
Scratch Sage and replace with Native. Jeez, the models are running together now. :eek:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:By the statement I put in bold do you mean they may make less or do you mean more. Or, you just don't know either way?
Less than or more than what? AFAIK, they have not said how many they plan to make. My point was simply that, unlike a Sprint Run where a production figure is traditionally announced in advance, there's no guarantee that there is a specific "target number", much less that the number actually produced will ever be made public and that we should not assume we have a right to know it.
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Less than or more than what? AFAIK, they have not said how many they plan to make. My point was simply that, unlike a Sprint Run where a production figure is traditionally announced in advance, there's no guarantee that there is a specific "target number", much less that the number actually produced will ever be made public and that we should not assume we have a right to know it.
Gotcha.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Does anyone know what happened with the previous forum knives? It seems like to me, if the forum knife was a "normal" Military like it was in 2000 or a "normal" Lava like it was in 2006, we would never heard the end of the complaining.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Senate

Post by Senate »

The Deacon wrote:Yes. To be honest, I can't really think of any Spyderco knife that, once no longer available from dealers and/or Spyderco themselves, did not become collectible to at least some degree.
scorpius? :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Okay fellas would be cool if you can remember once you've brought to post here .
The amount you brought 1/2 and also the MT as well if you decide to go for both .
Thank you .
And don't worry the Golden crew will be on the ball no doubt :D .
Bladekeeper

Please delete

Post by Bladekeeper »

Thought I'd try and create a page of info without having to go through all the threads to gauge who got what and where they went .
Other polls/threads have been started and no replies here so please delete the thread and thanks anyway .
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

I drove down early afternoon after calling and reserving one....here are a few pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mndvyhf8pfx5cxd/zHwbF9ID29