is the caly3 CF vs delica 4 FFG

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dino, Dino, Dino. There is no comparison between the Caly 3 CF and any Delica. The Delica is a fine knife and if I were afraid of losing it/having it taken away, it would be my choice. But the Caly 3 is a far superior knife. This is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. It is a beautiful example of the knife maker's art and anyone would be proud to own one. The fit and finish on mine are perfect and this is one gorgeous knife. The handle has exactly the same dimensions as a Kershaw Leek so it is slim and lovely. The ZDP-189 is harder to sharpen than VG-10 but that laminated high-tech blade is really something. So, if you can afford it, get the Caly 3. If you can't do not sweat it because the Delica is a very nice knife and you can get it in your favorite color.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dino

Post by dino »

and I went for a brown delica FFG and a dragonfly g-10. The main reason is that I would like to test the vg-10 first. I like the form of the caly more than the delica but I don't want the ZDP and CF. I want a good steel that is very rust resistent. So I went for 2 vg-10 classics the delica and the dragonfly to replace my robin 2.

thank you for the help!

Dino
dino

Post by dino »

Received the delica and the DF G10 and i'm quite happy. I'm not sure which will win in the office edc battle. For the weekends the delica will win but for the office the game is on. I really like the df G10 its very classy and for some reason it feels like it has a larger cutting edge than my Robin. On paper it's the same but I guess it's the byrd hole that shortens the cutting edge as it grips in an apple or some othe fruit. So I always try not to cut too deep. The delica on the other had has a sweet cutting edge just long enough for every thing i would like to do. Its also very light with the frn handles and not too big. Both feel nice in the pocket. I don't really use a clip so that doesn't help any of them in the battle. I guess i'll have to switch between weeks to find out. What looks is concerned the DF G-10 wins hands down. It's beautiful, nice color and i really like the upper edge how it slims down again. very nice!
arty

Post by arty »

I would consider the Chaparral for an office environment. It is bigger than the Robin, but smaller than a Delica. Blade size is close at 7.1 cm.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Hey Dino,

My fav out of the delica and Caly would defently be the Caly. The quality and build are really good, Moki builds super nice knives. The Delica is very fine knife aswell (I have 6) but still in the end a Caly will end up in my pocket.

I think its always nice to experience the difference between both knives hands on, I see you live in Belgium and seen we are just a tiny spot on the globe I can always meet up with you somewhere. And I work in the same environment as you do so we can share some expierences :)

I've send you a personal message if you are interested ;)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE