Backup Weapon - Endura Wave vs Matriarch 2 Wave

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Goomba

Backup Weapon - Endura Wave vs Matriarch 2 Wave

Post by Goomba »

Hey gang,

I am looking for a defensive blade to carry on my weak side as a backup to my EDC firearm.
I decided I wanted to try the Emerson Wave that Spyderco offers.
Which one of these should I go for? Note: I already carry a daily utility blade, this would be a purely self-defense oriented blade.

Or should I just get a fixed blade like a TDI?

Thanks for the input everyone!
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

Where do you live that requires to be packing so much to protect yourself?
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

mrphotoman wrote:Where do you live that requires to be packing so much to protect yourself?
A very dark cubicle.

To the OP -> Matriarch 2 would be my choice.

You mentioned TDI..I believe the Karahawk coming soon?? involves aspects of the TDI, coupled with emerson waving, maybe you should look into that.
Goomba

Post by Goomba »

mrphotoman wrote:Where do you live that requires to be packing so much to protect yourself?

"You don't NEED a knife, what are you going to do, STAB SOMEONE?!"

Please just stop with this soccermom argument. If you don't have anything to contribute then go to the next thread.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Goomba wrote:"You don't NEED a knife, what are you going to do, STAB SOMEONE?!"

Please just stop with this soccermom argument. If you don't have anything to contribute then go to the next thread.
No need to be so nasty, it's a valid question, especially considering that you are already carrying a utility knife and a gun.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Goomba

Post by Goomba »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:No need to be so nasty, it's a valid question, especially considering that you are already carrying a utility knife and a gun.
Well, in that case, I live in Florida, and my name rhymes with "Borge Bimmerman". These streets can be pretty dark and mean.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say carry nothing less than what your self defense training works well with. Anything else would be silly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Goomba wrote:Well, in that case, I live in Florida, and my name rhymes with "Borge Bimmerman". These streets can be pretty dark and mean.
Donut wrote:I would say carry nothing less than what your self defense training works well with. Anything else would be silly.

This right here would be the correct answer. You do have training and practice regularly with a trainer model, don't you?
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Goomba

Post by Goomba »

If I already was invested in a trainer I probably wouldn't be posting this ****ing thread, now would I? Also, Spyderco doesn't make a Matriarch 2 Trainer last time I checked. The whole point of this thread was that I wanted to try an Waved Spyderco out for weak-side carry and I wanted some input. The only "trainers" I have now are blue guns. I am looking to get a little more experienced with a defensive blade.
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

I would think that a waved serrated Matriarch would be an ideal SD knife for the untrained citizen. Easy to conceal, light, easy to open and doesn't take much skill to deploy into a assailant or yourself.

That's my answer if this was a serious question, however if you are just trolling for the sake of controversy I suggest that you act a bit more mature in the Spyderco forum.
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice
Goomba

Post by Goomba »

Thanks for the suggestion, Orlando De Free. I appreciate it.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Matriarch slashes very well, but can't stab. Endura can slash pretty well and can stab as well. IF I were to do such a thing, I would go with the Endura, mostly because my left hand (weak hand), is not very well coordinated and I am most comfortable with a tip down grip. In such a position, stabbing is almost essential. (Unless one's skilled in pikal. Which I definitely am not.)
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't see the point of a folder as a retention weapon. They just take too long to deploy, wave or no. If I'm in the middle of a deadly contact and there's a struggle over a firearm I would prefer a fixed blade.

As an actual backup weapon though, it's a pretty lousy day when a statistically unlikely deadly conflict arises, against the odds you actually need to fire, and on top of all that your firearm either jams or runs dry. Money and brain cells are best saved for things that will actually happen.

Or just buy what looks pretty.
All God's critters have knives.
Goomba

Post by Goomba »

zhyla wrote:it's a pretty lousy day when a statistically unlikely deadly conflict arises, against the odds you actually need to fire, and on top of all that your firearm either jams or runs dry. Money and brain cells are best saved for things that will actually happen.
Very well put. I definitely wont lose sleep over the infinitesimally small chance of this happening. I just want to have another option. If for nothing else just to have something to mess around with and gain proficiency with.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

zhyla wrote:I don't see the point of a folder as a retention weapon. They just take too long to deploy, wave or no. If I'm in the middle of a deadly contact and there's a struggle over a firearm I would prefer a fixed blade.
That is true. I guess folders do have size going for them. Carriability so to speak. For us Californians, we can't legally conceal a fixed blade, and I'm not a fan of letting others know I have a knife on me. So I didn't really see that option. But if you can, a fixed blade would be better.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Minibear453 wrote:For us Californians, we can't legally conceal a fixed blade
Yes, but we also don't have to worry about retaining a firearm during a fight :) .
All God's critters have knives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you considered a back up gun, instead of a back up knife? Maybe a revolver pocket or ankle carried on the weak side?

I have no idea what your daily situation is like, and if you will ever need to defend yourself, but (a) that's not my business, (b) you have the right to self defense (armed however you wish), and (c) it's always better to have and not want than the reverse.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

zhyla wrote:Yes, but we also don't have to worry about retaining a firearm during a fight :) .
Depends on where you live. I have friends in Bishop and Mt Shasta who carry every day.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Which one do you prefer? Ballistics are such a small part of the defense scenario it's almost not worth the discussion. If the question was Dfly2 vs Endura, then it is.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Then you can have a backup backup.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris