Cobra Hoods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

Jazz wrote:The hole works fine as it is, thank you very much.
Thanks Jazz, thought I mentioned that mate.

"The Spyderhole is definitely one of the greatest innovations in knife history. It is comfortable, works excellently and has such a natural feeling"
:rolleyes:

Totally with you on compression locks too Chris, another great innovation by Spyderco, personally I love it. However if I was designing a knife for gloved use I would imagine a back lock (and cobra hood :p ) being easier but that is the beauty of the wide variety in the world of Spydies, there can be so many combinations. I wouldn't just dismiss a design aspect because it is not to my personal liking or my intended use despite the fact it may improve the product for a different user in different conditions.
They didn't just stop and rest on their laurels after The Spyderhole, Spyderco keep innovating and if someone else has a genius idea, they usually collaborate! I can't imagine the compression lock ever fading away though... I just think it would be a terrible shame if the Cobra hood did. :(
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I too like the Cobra Hood, i too have an ATR.
At one point i unscrewed the hood, trapped a small bit of plastic in it, and used the bit of plastic as a wave to open it
i returned it to stock pretty quick, but it did work.

the cobra hood also gives your thumb a wider comfier bit to push against, but it does limit cutting through thick stuff with the heel of the blade

of course my opinion doesnt mean much, as it is too difficult to get new Spydercos into Australia, so i probably wont be buying any new ones
power is nothing without control
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I would like to have a cobra hood on my Pingo.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Is be ok with a few of them.
On the hunt for...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

i'd love to play with, uh I mean use, one. I've considering getting an assist only for the purpose of trying it, so yeah, i'd like to see it on other models also.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:The Assist has a cobra hood as well. On that knife it makes perfect sense because you want to get it open even when using gloves.

TedP
Yeah and what a lot of people overlook who hate the cobra hood feature is that it did work well in some applications. The Assist model was truly one of them that I still have and still love how the cobra hood works on that folder. I also thought it was quite a nice addition to the Salsa models as well.

It's like every feature that you see on different models>> some folks are going to like it and some people are not going to like it at all. Now on the ATR models I'm sort of 50/50 on that one. There are some reasons that I do feel that the Cobra Hood might not be a great idea on some EDC folders. But for an emergency/first responder type blade like the Assist I thought it was a genius idea.

It all boils down to what the intended uses of that particular model might be. Because I sure wouldn't want one on a JD Smith model or a C-50 Centofante but on a big folder that Spyderco never brought to production; that is speaking of the BISON model I think it would be great on a big folder like that. It all depends on what you're going to use it for.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
endgame

Post by endgame »

I ha e a black atr salsa and assist with gloves on the cobra hood is amazing piece.I don't understand how it could accidently opennor why people bate them.you can easly just remove it.problem solved
DRH

Post by DRH »

As others have said ..... you are not alone! I bought a Salsa a while ago after a long search and ..... quite frankly, kind of sorry I did. I find it too big for a small knife, and too small for a big knife! The only thing I like about it IS the Cobra Hood!!! Go figure!
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I also like the cobra hood
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
dialex

Post by dialex »

The CobraHood™ was a nice touch. Some knives really benefit from it.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I like the Cobra Hood too. I know Sal recently discussed a possible Salsa sprint WITHOUT the hood. I lost interest at that point since to me the hood is as much a part of the Salsa's identity as is the lock. I would loved to have seen an ATR reboot w/ G10 scales marketed as a work knife....hood mandatory, of course!
endgame

Post by endgame »

The assist should be a award winning design it breaks glass with ease i got bored and went to the junk yard and was amazed how easly it broke glass and windows.the serrations could saw right three bone I cut threw tires like cheese and seatbelts like butter all sizes of wire and cable easly cut with the scissor option.the little straight edge in front is ingenious. Pluss the whistle.it is a amazing knife for emts cops first responders and so on.the cobra hood offers smooth glove opening especially in cold wet situations . A h-1 bladd would be a grand slam.I like the new auto h-1 they made for the coast guard it is great but it literally doesn't have the same bells and whistles I looked into buying one and the only one I found was $1000 must be one from the blade show cause they aren't out yet.also that whistle on the assist is a very important life saver in the cold knight and fog.people have said the glass breaker is to small but they definatly never tried it them.glass bottles literally explode and car windows break even easier.I have a assist in my car and my wife's car.couldn't think of any reason not to have one in there.my little girl will have one also when she gets her license.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have only held the hooded models in hand briefly, with no actual use I would have to say I am on the fence.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:It's like every feature that you see on different models>> some folks are going to like it and some people are not going to like it at all. Now on the ATR models I'm sort of 50/50 on that one. There are some reasons that I do feel that the Cobra Hood might not be a great idea on some EDC folders. But for an emergency/first responder type blade like the Assist I thought it was a genius idea.
True Joe. I can see the value of the cobra hood on a "rescue" style knife and for those who must regularly deploy their folder while wearing heavy gloves. And, of course, like every other feature, there will be those who think it looks "cool" those who just like it for no specific reason.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't want a cobra hood because it will introduce still another difficulty to overcome when sharpening on the edge pro.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't want a cobra hood because it will introduce still another difficulty to overcome when sharpening on the edge pro.
Sorry, whatever else is true about the cobra hood, it's easily removed!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:Sorry, whatever else is true about the cobra hood, it's easily removed!
Hmmmm interesting, and very nice to know that. Thanks. Is it easy to remove and re-attach?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hmmmm interesting, and very nice to know that. Thanks. Is it easy to remove and re-attach?
That depends entirely on one's level of expertise with a screwdriver and/or their proclivity for losing small parts. ;) :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't want a cobra hood because it will introduce still another difficulty to overcome when sharpening on the edge pro.
...or you could just ditch the EP and buy a WEPS...

[ducks and runs for cover]

TedP
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:That depends entirely on one's level of expertise with a screwdriver and/or their proclivity for losing small parts. ;) :D
...yes, and having the correct tool in the first place. Yes, Chuck, it really is that easy - or that hard. ;)