PM2 vs Tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

PM2 vs Tenacious

Post by dgebler »

So...in my excitement today about the release of the forum knife I was fondling my modest collection of spydies and I couldnt help but wonder, if the tenacious was made in golden with a higher end steel would this be my favorite knife? I compare this to the pm2 mostly because it is coparable in size and regarded by many as an ideal knife. The tenacious does have a better handle to blade ratio, more cutting edge and imo a sexier profile. While i rarely carry and hate the fact that this is made in china, it is hard to ignore the brilliance of the design. I know maby (me included) love the comp lock but that simple liner lock is like a vault...no play at all and i have tried to kill this thing. Just wanted to start the conversation, I love my pm2s and golden qc, bouat tenacious is a heck of a blade...almost too good imo...for the price. sorry for the typo fails, typing on my phone.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have said in other places that a Tenacious with VG10 would be my EDC above all others...no changes, just the blade steel...
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Having both of them I rather take the PM2 than the Tenacious, like the Compression Lock more as I can handle it with my left hand. For me the winning point is the lock, not blade steel.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A tenacious made with better materials would be a must have for me. I couldn't agree more with the op.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I can't speak for the tenacious but I do have the resilience. It's such a great blade. I knife performed perfectly all weekend. About a minute of stroping when I got home and it was popin hairs. I like it just the way it is.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Made in Golden Tenacious with better steel can be interesting knife, still I strongly prefer blades with choil for EDC needs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would likely be more sophisticated and about 3 times more money. Of all the improvements I assume blade steel performance would be the least noticeable.

While I also wish Spyderco made more non-choil/short ricasso knives I would prefer to leave the Tenacious where it is and make a new model. IMHO knives like the Centofante3 or Centofante4 but with a bit more grip would be awesome.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Very possible that it would. Everyone has their own list of design features they want in a knife. If, for example, you value having the maximum amount of cutting edge for a given blade length, then the Tenacious becomes a "better" knife than the PM2. OTOH, if the security offered by a more structured handle and a 50/50 choil is a higher priority for you than maximal edge, the PM2 would be "better". As for me, I'm not a fan of either of them. In a 3.5" class knife, the Stretch is at the top of my list.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
iyn

Post by iyn »

as a VG-10 fan, I'd buy the Tenacious if it came in VG-10 or a better steel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

iyn wrote:as a VG-10 fan, I'd buy the Tenacious if it came in VG-10 or a better steel.
Why would that make it better for you?
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

Maybe if the g-10 was thicker and VG-10 steel.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

I think a tenacious in s30v made in Golden would be perfect. If it could be priced about the same as the native lightweight Spyderco would sell a ton.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

the tenacious design really is great. doesn't need a choil and you can still be right up on the edge. nice having so much blade for the handle too.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Actually, there is a lot of spydies like tenacious, changing the blade steel making thousand times populated.

Such as, the small knifes, cats, Chicago, ambi....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Tenacious is an amazing value, and is what got me into Spyderco. But, for me, the Para 2's ergos and lock put it far ahead regardless of steel, origin, etc.
:bug-red-white
endgame

Post by endgame »

The g-10 on the handle feels like cardboard to me.change that and steel but then its not a value folder.I like it as a beater but no way better then the pm2
angusW

Post by angusW »

I really like this knife but I've always thought that the g-10 could be improved. As knife nuts I would think that a lot of us would like to see a different steel used. How about keeping the entery level Tenacious and have one made in another location? This question has come up a lot so there does seem to be some interest.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I too would like to see a higher grade version of the Tenacious offered, though I would also like to see the value model continue. I don't care where it's made.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great knife that is perfect the way it is. Would be cool to see a similar model made in golden though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE