A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DedRok

A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Post by DedRok »

Hey guys, I just wanna say that i've become quite fond of knives about 2 years ago. It all started with a Spyderco Delica that I bought from a local knife shop. After researching, I paid way to much for it and started to search up all about Spydercos and wanted another knife at a good deal so I wouldn't feel beaten. I ended up buying a black Dragonfly FRN from Ebay. It was and is a great little knife! I loved it because I could put it in the smaller interior "pocket watch" in my right pocket of my jeans. However, sometimes it binds against my leather belt and doesn't feel comfortable if I'm sitting around.

Fast forward, 2 years, I've branched out to different brands, but always came back to my first love... Spyderco. I don't know what it is and I can't explain it, but it just seems like Spyderco "gets it" ... you see Sal posting regularly, he responds to fans and customers and he even implements our ideas and turns them into a reality.

Over the past 2 years, I've collected over 50 knifes and it's quite weird but the Spyderco Ladybug is by far one of my most used knives. I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets and even for how small the Ladybug is , it sometimes makes my pocket a little uncomfortable by poking me. I've tried to use a Lanyard for my lady bug and tried to put it in the pocket watch, but I simply do not like to use Lanyards... I don't wanna bring my attention to pockets even though its such a "dinky" knife.

Anyways, I thought it would be a good idea to put a pocket clip on a Manbug! I took my one of my Dragonflies clip & hardware to attach it to the Lanyard hole to get an idea how it would look and feel (although it doesn't fit because it needs grooves for the clip to mold into the FRN) It's like its not there, but yet a Manbug will do 99% of the chores I need it to do on a daily basis. I was just wondering, how hard would it to put a clip on a manbug? Is there a way that you guys could? Does Spyderco do any type of custom work? Has this ever been thought of?

I know this might not be everyones cup of tea, but I personally would love to see it happen! :)

Salt Hawk Bill, Jester G10, Delica, "Clipped" ManBug

Sometimes I have so much crap in my regular pockets it makes it tough to whip out the Manbug, and its near impossible to do so when you are sitting down. I figure a clipped Manbug would be accessible no matter what.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
sal

Post by sal »

Nice Job DedRok,

We've thought about it for years. We even have a few designs, stamped and wires. Eric and I have just been busy. Eric has a Ladybug with a Clip and I've tried a few. They work great in shirt pockets.

I'm traveling for the next few weeks. Maybe when I get back we can explore the concept again.

sal
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

sal wrote:Nice Job DedRok,

We've thought about it for years. We even have a few designs, stamped and wires. Eric and I have just been busy. Eric has a Ladybug with a Clip and I've tried a few. They work great in shirt pockets.

I'm traveling for the next few weeks. Maybe when I get back we can explore the concept again.

sal
That would be GREAT. :) X 10

For the time being, maybe I'll try to mill out the FRN for the wire clip myself. I'm 100% it would work with just the Dragonfly hardware!

Thank you for the super fast response.... I'll make sure to bump this up in a month to nag you. ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would love a Manbug with a wire clip. Mine has been with me almost constantly since I got it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

this would def convince me to purchase the manbug
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
swampfoxoutdoors

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

X2 on the clipped man bug concept.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Well, why stop there? What about a pin backed bug that could be worn as a brooch?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Sorry for the sloppy pictures... I just got a new cell phone and don't currently have access to my DSLR camera.

Works pretty good, the Dragonfly clip itself is great, but the screws for the clip are a little to thick for the petite Manbug.... plus my milling isn't so great.

mattman

Post by mattman »

I like it!
Nice work, and thanks for the follow-up (I must have missed this post the first time around....)

How does it draw with the deep carry?
Grip still feels good?
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

mattman wrote:I like it!
Nice work, and thanks for the follow-up (I must have missed this post the first time around....)

How does it draw with the deep carry?
Grip still feels good?
Yup it seems to be very practical. Easy to remove out of the pocket and feels good in-hand. The only problem is that sometimes I forget it's in my pockets and I end up putting it through the wash. (Maybe H1 is a better option :p )

I usually keep it in the small pocket like the last picture but I use it in my work shirt's pocket sometimes. My mod is rough around the edges and if Spyderco were to produce it they could refine it much more. Seems like it wouldn't cost them much, and it would be relativity easy.
GSO

Post by GSO »

That modification looks severely useful. Nice one.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Nice job! I still haven't picked up a Lady/Mangbug, I think this would convince me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

sal wrote:Nice Job DedRok,
Eric has a Ladybug with a Clip and I've tried a few. They work great in shirt pockets.
sal
:eek: Eric already has a LB with a clip! Looks like we're all set. :D
Sorry Manbuggers :p
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

This gives me an idea. I have the G-10 Manbug and have made a few sets of scales for it. I might make a set and put a clip on the scale for right hand clipped. I think I'd need to eliminate the lanyard hole I don't know how to attach it. I could cut grooves and just glue it to a scale. Since this knife has bolsters the scales can be removed without disassembling the knife. Adding or removing the clip could be done by swapping the scale. I'd need a third scale for the clip if it were to match the other side. Or an entire new set. Will be thinking on this.

Right now I have it attached to a AAA flashlight. The light has a clip so I carry it this way and I can get to the knife by pulling the light out. This works great since I like having the light on me as much as a knife now. The knife can hang inside my pocket or outside. Grabbing it to pull the light out is great. I use the light all the time. EDC lights are like EDC knives. You don't know how often you would use one until you try carrying one. Once again, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Aside from my idea a clip on the knife would be nice. Although some probably don't want one at all and manufacturing both may be difficult for Spyderco.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

jackknifeh wrote:Right now I have it attached to a AAA flashlight. The light has a clip so I carry it this way and I can get to the knife by pulling the light out. This works great since I like having the light on me as much as a knife now. The knife can hang inside my pocket or outside. Grabbing it to pull the light out is great. I use the light all the time. EDC lights are like EDC knives. You don't know how often you would use one until you try carrying one. Once again, I'm rambling. Sorry.
Jack, I agree 100%. I cant say enough good things about the LB/MB LD01 combo either. Other than being a very high performing light for its size the clip is excellent.

In fact I fitted all my AAAs with the LD01 clip. :cool:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
endgame

Post by endgame »

I love my man bug he lives in my changepocket .but he is the only knife I can bring to nyc cause of no clip and so small.stupid fn laws.
Donut

Post by Donut »

endgame wrote:I love my man bug he lives in my changepocket .but he is the only knife I can bring to nyc cause of no clip and so small.stupid fn laws.
Too bad even the Manbug doesn't meet the laws set by NYC.

The clip on a Manbug sounds great. Might as well put the slots in the scale and if someone wants to buy a clip, they can do it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been curious about doing this. I may have to try it out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

This sounds like a great idea.. And to those that went ahead and made their own... SWEEETT!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote:Well, why stop there? What about a pin backed bug that could be worn as a brooch?
You could very easily just make your own with some epoxy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David