Well-used Cara Cara Black BY03BK

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
kennethsime

Well-used Cara Cara Black BY03BK

Post by kennethsime »

A customer brought in this well-used, well-loved Cara Cara for sharpening today. He uses it as a rough-use chore knife, cutting bailing twine on hay bales etc. The clip kept coming lose, so I put some loctite in and re-installed the clip. The action was a bit slow, I cleaned out lint and some dried dirt and grime, and lubed it up. Flips open beautifully! Now to get it sharp...

Handling this knife, I can't help but pine for a Delica and Endura with choil. Handled a Byrd Raven the other day for the first time in a while also, both designs are so good!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That thing looks pretty nice. I see a bit of edge damage, but I'm sure it can last many more years for the owner.

Thanks for sharing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
opaul

Post by opaul »

Always nice to see a work horse taken care of, even if a little later. Thanks for sharing.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I do enjoy seeing a real user. We see too many polished edge, unblemished knives around here.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

I agree. All these impressive steels hardly getting used. Yet here we have the lowly 8cr13mov making hay!!

I want to see some sprint PM2's with this kind of use! Send me one and I'll use it hard.
araneae wrote:I do enjoy seeing a real user. We see too many polished edge, unblemished knives around here.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ginsuwarrior wrote:I agree. All these impressive steels hardly getting used. Yet here we have the lowly 8cr13mov making hay!!

I want to see some sprint PM2's with this kind of use! Send me one and I'll use it hard.
I'll put three through their paces, and a couple friends willing to do the same! :p

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Now that's a knife.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

BAL wrote:Now that's a knife.
Couldn't agree more! Looks great like that. That is how a knife should look! Those serrations look pretty toasted though.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Now THAT a knife!

That thing would be absolutely beautiful with a mirror polished edge. Pics after sharpening?
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Very cool! Thanks for continuing to share some of the things you get to see at your job, kennethsime.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

That pic only screams about real love! :D
Stay Sharp!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cereal_killer wrote:Now THAT a knife!

That thing would be absolutely beautiful with a mirror polished edge. Pics after sharpening?
Unfortunately, I didn't get to snap any pics after sharpening. We usually only finish knives to about 1200 grit on a ceramic hone, and while the edges are quite effective, it's nothing compared to what some people accomplish on these forums.
Chris_H wrote:Very cool! Thanks for continuing to share some of the things you get to see at your job, kennethsime.
Anytime! Unfortunately I'm moving on soon, but I'll never stop being a knife nut, lol.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There is nothing like a well used knife. I find a certain amount of beauty in a beat up tool that is still perfectly functional. It makes me wanna go out and use the crap out of every knife I own. They really take on a personality once they get worn in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

amazing looking knife! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

Look how happy it is. Its almost smiling.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:I do enjoy seeing a real user. We see too many polished edge, unblemished knives around here.
ginsuwarrior wrote:I agree. All these impressive steels hardly getting used. Yet here we have the lowly 8cr13mov making hay!!

Well, even my hardest used knives will almost always have a polished edge. There's nothing better than the contrast between a beat up knife and a mirrored bevel. As for beat up Para 2 sprints, my 20CP is hardly beat up, but gets used thoroughly. I don't go around opening soup cans with it though so the blade isn't covered with scratches.
~David
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I love that picture, I look at it at least once a day. If I'd had a knife like that as a kid on our farm, it would probably look really bad! This one just looks well used, and eager for more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder, do they use the same blade coating as the DLC Spydercos? I wonder how a true DLC blade would look after the same amount of use? You really have to start cutting abusive stuff to get the DLC scratched off that bad. I put my DLC Para 2 through months of cardboard cutting everyday and it never developed a single scratch from it.
~David
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Evil D wrote:I wonder, do they use the same blade coating as the DLC Spydercos?
The website only states "black electric plating" is used so I take that as some other kind of coating (like black nickel maybe?) besides DLC.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **