New product suggestion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RanCoWeAla

New product suggestion

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I would like to see Spderco try a two blade knife with a pen blade similar to the Browning model 501 small game and bird knife..Make it on a slip joint frame with the main bigger blade a lockback and the smaller pen blade non locking.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

What are your reasons for wanting this knife from Spyderco as opposed to makers like Buck, Case or Great Eastern?
~ Nate
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I guess to see what they would come up with because if I know Spyderco it would be a total departure from your traditional slip joint knife. Also I want see a knife of this type made with a steel like VG10, S30V etc. without bolsters and G10 handles to reduce weight. I just like a pen blade to work on my nails and open mail and other small jobs. Thats why I usually carry a knife by one of the other makers you mentioned in another pocket. I'm also talking a knife with a primary blade something like on the Caly series that could double as a tactical but with a smaller blade to save your tactical edge.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RanCoWeAla,

Thanx for the suggestion. We are working on a number of multi-bladed models. We'll watch the thread and see what you think.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sal may be referring to the Clipitool found in this thread

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Sal, thanks for your reply and xceptnl something similar to that is what I had in mind. I like the bottle opener, serrated bld. and scissors but think a nice rounded pen blade like the one I mentioned or like one on a Case Canoe would be a lot more useful..And a knife three and three eighths in length closed with G10 handles every color that Spyderco has ever made it's other knives in. I know this sounds crazy but I like my knives to match and it's impossible to match your tactical with just about any of the classic slip joint knives being made. This way I could buy a mate for my Brown Calypso or my Blue knives or my Camo knives etc. that has a pen blade and if it had a nail file on the back side of the pen blade that would be even better. Then you could market it as the ultimate Gentleman's knife and color coordinated back up to you tactical.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The Clipitool is even neater than anything I had envisioned because I never thought about a Spyderhole on both ends of a knife. I really don't think this little knife needs a pocket clip though because it would be carried in your off side pocket opposite your tactical and in with your change and everything and light weight and thin profile would be more important especially with the addition of another blade already.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I really like the idea of a Caly-like blade and especially the Caly characteristic of having the blade as big as possible for the knife size. I too would like for it to be at least 3 3/8" closed or maybe even 3.5. I carried a small Gerber Easy-out about this size for years and it was plenty big for opening boxes, etc (though the handle was poorly designed - I removed a lot of unnecessary plastic from it, which also made it easier to open).

I would probably buy one with metal handles but would rather have G-10, maybe thinner than usual. I vote for a screwdriver tip like the one pictured, which can be used in both Phillips and flat blade screws. A serrated edge of some type would be more useful to me than the bottle opener -- almost everything has screw-off caps now... and I don't file my nails, but a file would be useful for other things.

Just brain storming, but wouldn't it be cool if it had a couple of torx sizes to use on your other knives :) ?
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Sounds like you want an awful lot of specificity :rolleyes: but when you talk about matching knives I wonder why you don't get some custom handle scales made for your Spyderco to match the smaller pen knife.
Holland

Post by Holland »

xceptnl wrote:Sal may be referring to the Clipitool found in this thread
I am soooo excited for these to come out! def need the bottle opener version!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

suggestion for Clipitool
could a screwdriver tip be incorporated in to either end of the handle?
http://www.shefftek.com/images/bakclosed580.jpg
http://www.eka-knivar.se/assets/phpthum ... ar=0&q=100