Screw the Southard. . .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderQ

Screw the Southard. . .

Post by SpyderQ »

Hi, unfortunately while cleaning my Southard I lost one of the frame screws on the G10 scale side.

Does anyone have an "extra" one I could buy off them or know the specs of the screw and where I can get one?

I e-mailed Spyderco support and I am still waiting for their response. Thanks.

**** UPDATE 02/04/15 ****

Sorry for the super late response - totally forgot about this post. Anyways, YES, I did receive the screws from Spyderco free of charge, even though I offered to buy them. They even threw in a few extra screws! Absolutely LOVE the Southard and Spyderco and own several. High quality at an affordable price with outstanding customer service. THANKS AGAIN!!!

BTW - The title of the post (Screw the Southard) is a sarcastic play on words. I love the knife and company!
Last edited by SpyderQ on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderQ,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your dilemma. Also sorry that your first post had to be somewhat negative. I'm sure that Charlynn in Customer service will be able to help you. Patiience is awonderful personality trait.

sal
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

In my (limited) experience, the screw will probably just show up in the mail, if you provided an address in your email.

I asked for some washers and I received them a few days later.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? Guns? Power Tools? Fishing Reels? Wristwatch? And if so, what do you do when you loose or damage a part? Why was disassembly necessary to clean your Southard? Do you feel that it is Spyderco's obligation to provide parts free of charge when your actions were in complete violation to their warranty? (http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10) If not, what do you feel would be a fair charge for this service? Once again, I am just asking and not trying to cause bad feelings or make you look foolish. I am just trying to understand this phenomenon and compulsion of many formites to take-apart their knives subsequently loosing parts, stripping screws, reassembling incorrectly, only to then use this forum to complain that Spyderco is somehow at fault and should be expected to correct the situation gratis and expeditiously. This seems to be a reoccurring theme based on the numerous threads just in the last six months alone. Where is the ELU’s responsibility? Where is the dealer's responsibility? What other industries, making high-end tools, offer an unlimited warranty? And should knife companies offer such unconditional warranties? I look forward to a candid, insightful discussion.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

taking apart a pocket knife is almost always completely unnecessary. then again, so is collecting hundred dollar knives which all basically do the same thing. we have a sickness, and for many it causes them to disassemble a knife because it got some pocket lint in it...

I don't personally take apart any of mine, but I see other irrational aspects of my knife use, so I don't look down on people that do.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think your title has gotten your entire post off on the wrong foot, you might want to soften that lead in a bit ;) I am not trying to judge I have made the same mistake myself just an FYI.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I think the lead-in was meant as a silly joke, a play on words - the guy asked where he could buy the flippin screw, so I don't think it's particularly fair to jump down his throat and accuse him of acting entitled.

The joke perhaps fell flat, but I'd accuse him of being a poor comedian before jumping to any other conclusions.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I thought the title was funny. Then again, I have a weird sense of humor.

The guy doesn't seem to be demanding any free screws from Spyderco or special treatment. He asked if anyone had an extra screw he could buy from them, or knew of any place where he could get the correct screw.

Welcome to the forums SpyderQ! Good luck getting that screw! In case you haven't seen it yet, Spyderco used to make a Q model (my first Spyderco). I just thought a knife like that is quite fitting for someone with your user name.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? Guns? Power Tools? Fishing Reels? Wristwatch? And if so, what do you do when you loose or damage a part? Why was disassembly necessary to clean your Southard? Do you feel that it is Spyderco's obligation to provide parts free of charge when your actions were in complete violation to their warranty? (http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10) If not, what do you feel would be a fair charge for this service? Once again, I am just asking and not trying to cause bad feelings or make you look foolish. I am just trying to understand this phenomenon and compulsion of many formites to take-apart their knives subsequently loosing parts, stripping screws, reassembling incorrectly, only to then use this forum to complain that Spyderco is somehow at fault and should be expected to correct the situation gratis and expeditiously. This seems to be a reoccurring theme based on the numerous threads just in the last six months alone. Where is the ELU’s responsibility? Where is the dealer's responsibility? What other industries, making high-end tools, offer an unlimited warranty? And should knife companies offer such unconditional warranties? I look forward to a candid, insightful discussion.
Routine maintenance is part of caring for a tool. OP wasnt blaming spyderco, and asked for alternatives. It may be spydercos excellent customer service that compels people to go to them in situations like this, as well as forumites smacking people down for airing negatively percieved issues on the forums and telling them to address spyderco directly.
If spyderco was to release a how to on disassembly it might help people to do what they are going to do anyways. My 2c.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I am amazed every time someome mentions taking a knife apart. I just have to ask myself why. I have never taken but one knife apart in my entire life and didn't really take it apart. I had one where the screws kept working loose so I took one screw out at a time put a drop of loc tite in the hole a scewed it back in. Even with doing it that way the knife never felt the same again.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome SpyderQ :) enjoy the forum :) A lost screw is a small thing :)

Check out the last page of this thread;D These screws are not hard to obain. McmasterCarr or CarrLane should be able to hook you up.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t=modeling
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
pezie

Post by pezie »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I am amazed every time someome mentions taking a knife apart. I just have to ask myself why.
I am amazed every time someome mentions never taking a knife apart. I just have to ask myself why not. ;)

I've bought a couple of used knives and disassembled them to clean them thoroughly. It was always worth the little effort, and be it only because it made me feel better. In one case, I polished the liners that had developed some superficial rust under the scales and subsequently wiped them with Tuf-Cloth. In other cases, cleaning the washers made the blade pivot smoother or slightly rounding over the liners' inner edges knife handling more comfortable.

Practical reasons aside, since collecting knives, especially knives that have a greater technical and aesthetic appeal than is necessary in a utilitarian cutting tool, is a hobby that for many people serves no purpose but the joy of handling nice, well made things, I don't find it surprising that some want to take them apart just for the fun of it, to see how the insides are machined, to get a better understanding of how a certain locking mechanism functions in detail, to individualize a part etc. As it seems, the desire to take things apart and fiddle with them lies in the curious nature of men, as many parents can attest.

And why not? There's hardly a risk involved in taking a knife apart (other than that of losing a screw, which is neither catastrophic nor unavoidable); it's not rocket science. Unlike most people in this forum, I'm a humble novice to knives, but I have never made a knife worse by taking it apart. In one or two occasions, it took me a bit of patience to get good blade centering and smooth action and no blade play (I learned that in some knives, the tightening torque of the different scale screws affects blade movement and centering), but those knives hadn't been perfect to begin with (no Spydies ;) ).

I'm not a compulsive knife dismantler, though. I'm very happy with my pinned Manix 2 Lightweight. :)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I got the joke, lighten up people. The man just wants a screw.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

pezie wrote:I am amazed every time someome mentions never taking a knife apart. I just have to ask myself why not. ;)

...And why not? There's hardly a risk involved in taking a knife apart (other than that of losing a screw, which is neither catastrophic nor unavoidable); it's not rocket science. Unlike most people in this forum, I'm a humble novice to knives, but I have never made a knife worse by taking it apart. In one or two occasions, it took me a bit of patience to get good blade centering and smooth action and no blade play (I learned that in some knives, the tightening torque of the different scale screws affects blade movement and centering), but those knives hadn't been perfect to begin with (no Spydies ;) ).

I'm not a compulsive knife dismantler, though. I'm very happy with my pinned Manix 2 Lightweight and UKPK. :)
I agree and I never met a warranty that I wouldn't void. :) I've taken knives apart to clean and I've taken them apart to modify. As stated above, "it's not rocket science".
TekNyc

Post by TekNyc »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? Guns? Power Tools? Fishing Reels? Wristwatch? And if so, what do you do when you loose or damage a part? Why was disassembly necessary to clean your Southard? Do you feel that it is Spyderco's obligation to provide parts free of charge when your actions were in complete violation to their warranty? (http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10) If not, what do you feel would be a fair charge for this service? Once again, I am just asking and not trying to cause bad feelings or make you look foolish. I am just trying to understand this phenomenon and compulsion of many formites to take-apart their knives subsequently loosing parts, stripping screws, reassembling incorrectly, only to then use this forum to complain that Spyderco is somehow at fault and should be expected to correct the situation gratis and expeditiously. This seems to be a reoccurring theme based on the numerous threads just in the last six months alone. Where is the ELU’s responsibility? Where is the dealer's responsibility? What other industries, making high-end tools, offer an unlimited warranty? And should knife companies offer such unconditional warranties? I look forward to a candid, insightful discussion.
great post!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I if get my knives clean without taking them apart, then so should 99% of all knives. I have had some of my work knives utterly filthy and a little soap, water and a brush have never let me down.

I could probably take my car engine apart and get it real shiny, but I won't.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:Just curious, besides your knife, what other tools do you regularly take-apart to clean? Guns?

I take my guns apart to clean them every time I use them. I think that's fairly normal, actually.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

How can that screw be lost ? You just have not found it yet. It is there somewhere & by more looking you narrow down the possible places it may be.
O.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TomAiello wrote:I take my guns apart to clean them every time I use them. I think that's fairly normal, actually.
Tom, I think you missed Brian's point. He wasn't suggesting that taking mechanical things apart is unusual, or wrong, he was simply pointing out that, when one does so and loses and/or damages parts, one must accept the responsibility for one's incompetence rather than blaming (or at least appearing to blame) the manufacturer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I've read on forums, it seems like some people are OCD about cleaning certain things.

He did offer to buy the parts he lost.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!