quote the raven evermore

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
endgame

quote the raven evermore

Post by endgame »

By far the best built quality for the price has to be the raven and the crow man the quality you get for the buck I hope the changes in the new models don't f it up.cmon sal keepem the same. The meadoelark and cara cara have nothing compared to these guys.how are they even in the same price range.I own them all and the ravenn and crow are so advanced in quality.the cara cara and meadowlark are only sharpened on one side and cost more.don't change perfection sal.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

If I could ask for one change to the Raven/Crow designs it would be to 1/4" less choil and 1/4" more edge length. The Crow, in particular, has an inordinately large finger choil that could be shrunk to allow for a bit more edge.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
GSO

Post by GSO »

When's the new Raven coming out?

I know I'm asking much, but I would definitely enjoy my raven(s) with an upgraded steel. It's one of my favorite tools for the everyday jobs, but I admit it needs too many trips to the Sharpmaker.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Maybe a sprint run in that new carpenter steel or h-1 for fishing cause i love surf fishing.my hands are big and these 2 knives fit perfect with no hot spots.I just think they are the 2 best knives for the money hands down.I like my meadow lark and cara cara but they are only sharpened on one side and Much cheaper feeling also riveted construction so it you have blade play there is nothing you can do you have to send it in.they also come in a package that is crappy the meadow and cara come in boxes i just dont get it .i quess that is why they cost more cause of the boxes not the plastic sealed packages that you cant store them in.I also like the aluminum handles on the old onses.don't discontinue and sprint run sprint run sal.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

GSO wrote:When's the new Raven coming out?

I know I'm asking much, but I would definitely enjoy my raven(s) with an upgraded steel. It's one of my favorite tools for the everyday jobs, but I admit it needs too many trips to the Sharpmaker.
I would love to see the whole byrd line upgraded to CTS-BD1. I don't know how much it would raise the price to have BD1 shipped overseas, but it is one of the best users steels I've ever had.

endgame

Post by endgame »

I haven't heard of the new release probable next year.it is hard to sharpen I think cause of the blade shape.I own 3 of them and send one in when its dull and use the otherone.I also have 2 crows also wich is just a smaller version of the raven.they are just the best built Byrd's.so much for you're money compared to the cara cara and meadowlark .I like them also but they feel and look so cheap compared to the raven and crow also cost more.you can get the ravens cheap now because they are discontinued and I am not 100% sure they will have a new line of them and you guys no once a discontinued knife s sold out they clime rapidly in price so get as many now as you can I have one of each comming in the mail I got them for $15 a piece on the "jungle" that starts with a "A".get them wile you can.maybe we can get a sprint in h-1 for fishing that would rule.
jollyllp

Post by jollyllp »

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BAL

Post by BAL »

jollyllp wrote:Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
;)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

jollyllp wrote:Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Love recitated/sang version from Omnia:

http://youtu.be/1166DHvSVW8
endgame

Post by endgame »

Nothing more
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I dig my Crow (first gen, aluminum leaf-style handles, combo edge) but I would not call it more solid than the midlock/"lockback" models I've used/owned (Cara Cara in SS and G10, Meadowlark Hawkbill, Robin G10, Rescue FRN). I think the liner lock feels a bit light, though the lockup is good and I suspect that they are plenty reliable.. I just don't think they are better than the midlock-based models in general. Is our perception of this based on your taste in locks, endgame? I'm pretty sure that all of my byrds are ground on both sides whether hollow or FFG. I really like the aluminum handle style of the Crow and if available would like to get another with PE or SE. They are very quick/smooth opening I find, without the detent being so weak that the Crow tends to open up in my pocket. I find pretty much all the byrd models to be an exceptional value and will likely end up getting many more over the next few years as they are very servicable knives at incredible prices. I have been EDCing a G10 Cara Cara PE (alternating with one of my Manix2s or my byrd Wings SlipIt mostly, since getting this Cara Cara) in RFP and a Hawk-like knife in LFP (byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill SE, Spyderhawk Salt SE, or Matriarch2 Emerson Wave SE) for some time and not really missed the :spyder: models in RFP (though I love them and will be carrying them more as I get the Cara Cara more broken in and get to miss my PE spydies).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jollyllp,

Welcome to our forum,

On the Raven and Crow, we've made many adjustments and we're waiting on the prototypes now. This will probably be the first of the models to use Carpenter's CTS-BD1.

sal
GSO

Post by GSO »

sal wrote: On the Raven and Crow, we've made many adjustments and we're waiting on the prototypes now. This will probably be the first of the models to use Carpenter's CTS-BD1.

sal
Although I have no experience with CTS-BD1, I'm glad to try another steel on my favorite byrd model. :)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:Hi Jollyllp,

Welcome to our forum,

On the Raven and Crow, we've made many adjustments and we're waiting on the prototypes now. This will probably be the first of the models to use Carpenter's CTS-BD1.

sal
This is great to hear. I can't wait to see CTS-BD1 showing up on the byrds. It is just a top-notch steel, IMO, and it's corrosion resistance is far superior to 8Cr13MoV in my experience.

corbingravely

Post by corbingravely »

Raven with better blue steel is going to make it better looking and fierce looking. So guys what are your ideals about my idea on this one? I am standing by my decision to make it a blue steel one.

---------------------------------
CORIN GRAVELY
www.onetechcomputers.com
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

sal wrote:Hi Jollyllp,

Welcome to our forum,

sal
Is CTS BD-1 replacing 8Cr13MoV on some of the chinese-made knives?