Bitten by the Spyder.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aquaman67

Bitten by the Spyder.

Post by aquaman67 »

So, there's a local thrift store that sells a lot of Amazon returns, ect. I found an Endura last summer for a great price. I really like the FFG blade. But it's a little larger than I'd like.

I found a Delica online cheap but it wasn't the FFG grind. I carry it mostly when I wear cotton basket ball type shorts (so my pants won't get pulled down)

Then at the thrift store again I found a Tenacious. I reallt like the size and i like snapping it open with my thumb. It's a great knife but being left handed, the liner lock isn't ideal.

So I've been looking at the Manix line. I'm not a fan of the wire clip so the lightweight wasn't for me. The only FFG blades with a regular clip are the Sprint runs. I decided that's what I look for. If I ever found one at a good price, I'd get it.

Well, while looking online, I stumbled upon a Mini Manix. It's the Manix I (80 / 83 mm) version. So, I got it. The one I have on the way is labeled 80 mm.

Hopefully this Mini Manix will be "the one". Although I'm already eyeing a Native 5...

I need help. Is there an antidote for a Spyder bite?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

For me "the one" is always "the NEXT one". As Jimi said - "...it really didn't ever stop. It just kept on going..."
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

senorsquare wrote:For me "the one" is always "the NEXT one". As Jimi said - "...it really didn't ever stop. It just kept on going..."
I have the feeling I'm in that boat too.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

aquaman67 wrote:I have the feeling I'm in that boat too.
Ditto... John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum. The only antidote for the desire to buy another Spyderco is to buy another Spyderco. However, this antidote only lasts a short time. :)

Please post pictures of the mini-Manix when you get it.

Jack
JD Spydo

Once Bitten, Not Shy>> But a bit financially strapped

Post by JD Spydo »

Make room for the Sprint C-44 Dyad coming up soon. And if you want to be a true Spyderville citizen then you really need at least a couple of Hawkbills in your arsenal.

Anymore I mainly watch out for the upcoming Sprint models and any new Spyderedged models coming down the pipeline.

I got my first Spyder in 1995 and I'm still heavily obcessed. Don't overlook many of Spyderco's great fixed blades>> they have really done well in that department.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

aquaman67 wrote:I need help. Is there an antidote for a Spyder bite?
Bankruptcy, though it's obviously not the ideal antidote.
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

A thrift store that sells spidies, that would be awesome!
I have never seen nothing but junk in our thrift stores.
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
JD Spydo

Very Few True Bargains

Post by JD Spydo »

appliancejunk wrote:A thrift store that sells spidies, that would be awesome!
I have never seen nothing but junk in our thrift stores.
Be very careful about that by all means :( Because a really popular local flea market here in KC is selling fake Spyders, fake Benchmades, fake Bokers and a few fake Kershaws. And the sad thing is that many bargain hunters are buying them :(

Now I've gotten lucky a couple of times at Gun Shows in particular but folks please do remember and don't lose sight of the fact that there are very few of what I call "TRUE BARGAINS" out there.>> Most of the time you truly do "GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

ur in for a **** of a ride! :D at first i purchased a whole bunch of different spydies to try different designs, but now i have my 5 knife rotation, and i buy and sell a couple other knives at a time to keep the hobby new and exciting :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Yup spyders bite hard!! Just don't fall into a flashlight addiction too!!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

jackknifeh wrote:Welcome to the forum. The only antidote for the desire to buy another Spyderco is to buy another Spyderco. However, this antidote only lasts a short time. :)

Jack
Yeah, like a day or so ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

BadFish wrote:Yup spyders bite hard!! Just don't fall into a flashlight addiction too!!
I agree! my new found knife addiction has finally subsided my flashlight addiction!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

diesel79 wrote:I agree! my new found knife addiction has finally subsided my flashlight addiction!

So one addiction is the antidote for another? :)

I think I tried to get into flashlights but they didn't take. I bought 5 or 6 over a period of a few months but two seem to be enough for me. I don't have the second one yet. The first isan EDC light. I bought a few and NONE fit my needs like the Fenix LD01. All I want is a little bit of light. I don't need SOS, strobe or the light that changes the baby's diapers. :) It is amazing what can be crammed into such small packages these days. I jumped straight from a Mini-Mag to the single AAA battery flashlight (Fenix LD01) that has enough umph to walk my dog and she bought herself a 16" retractable leash. I still have 3 AA lights and one CR123 light and I can't see enough difference in the AAA and AA lights to need more than one. The second one I'd like is a BIGGER one. To me that means a flashlight that uses 4 AA batteries. I wanted a Fenix LD40 but I can't get them anymore. It's been upgraded but as much as I don't need another knife I'd spend the money toward a knife before another light. Just no need for me. I can see the attraction though. Guess I'm stuck with knives for now. :)

Jack
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I have a knife, guns, and ammo problem. :-D

I've only bought a few flashlights. I've settled on the Streamlight Protac 1L (a single CR123 cell) for my EDC. I've only got so much room left in my pockets, and the Protac 1L works VERY well and is a very small package.

The Spydie addiction is an insidious one! But, it sure is fun.
diesel79

Post by diesel79 »

I was using McGizmos for my edc lights but just sold them all and now just use a HDS HCRI clicky. Hands down the most versatile light I have used. If you can get your hands in one I definitely recommend one.

I'm finding spydies, HDS, and 1911's all work very well together. :)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

JD Spydo wrote:Be very careful about that by all means :( Because a really popular local flea market here in KC is selling fake Spyders, fake Benchmades, fake Bokers and a few fake Kershaws. And the sad thing is that many bargain hunters are buying them :(

Now I've gotten lucky a couple of times at Gun Shows in particular but folks please do remember and don't lose sight of the fact that there are very few of what I call "TRUE BARGAINS" out there.>> Most of the time you truly do "GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" ;)

Maybe thrift store isn't the right word. More like a closeout store. Most of the boxes are Amazon returns. They had a lot of JC Penny's St John's Bay clothing when JC Penny's discontinued that line, that kind of stuff. You never know what you'll find. It's very rare to see a "good" knife. They don't have a regular supply of them at all.

And it's funny someone mentioned flashlights. I found (and bought) a small Nebo LED flashlight there too. It was $5 and on Amazon it was $20.

I'm going to go broke saving money

EDIT:

Here's the Endura

And the Tenacious.

appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

Wow, good deals for sure...
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've been obsessed with rounding out my EDC the past year or so. Thankfully, I mostly trade as opposed to buy, so it helps with the money. I'm kinda rounding it out, and just switching out a few less used knives for ones I want. Here's kinda how it came out:
Knives: Spyderco Santa Fe Persian, Endura, Ladybug. (And trading for an Air right now to have a "gentleman's knife," although the Persian does fill that role, I wanted something more traditional, but still with a lock.)

Flashlight: 4seven's Preon 0 on my keychain, just bought a Zebralight SC52 for EDC/biking light (and it is amazing. 280 lumens from an AA battery.)
Watch: Seiko 5 automatic (thankfully I was satisfied and didn't need to switch out)
Wallet: I go through one wallet a year. I made a stingray one, didn't like it, had a duct tape one, had a leather one, but now I made one using two slabs of G10 and O rings.
Pens: Went through at least 5 different refills for my Parker Jotter, then switched to Fountain Pens, and currently on a TWSBI Mini with Noodler/Iroshizuku ink.

And ink gets expensive. Currently, the Iroshizuku ink I love is $30 for 50 mL. :p Ah well, money doesn't follow us into the afterlife, right?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

jackknifeh wrote:Welcome to the forum. The only antidote for the desire to buy another Spyderco is to buy another Spyderco. However, this antidote only lasts a short time. :)

Jack

It came today! Here's a quick pic.

It's a user, as you can see. But that's why I wanted it. To use. I love it. Blade is perfectly centered. And it smooth as butter.

And the clip was actually on the correct side when I got it. I guess the previous owner was a lefty too.