Byrd Crossbill Help

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
zeroed4x

Byrd Crossbill Help

Post by zeroed4x »

This might be my last Byrd that I ever buy.... to many other manufactures without issues or factory defects like this.

I just received a new Crossbill and the amount of effort to open this knife is damned ridiculous. VERY STIFF! I am beyond dissatisfied.

I see no way to open this knife as it is the Stainless Steel version.
I was told that there is no pivot screw inside and that it is pinned (?)

Anyone out there have suggestions ?
Zeroed4x W4WTA
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yes. If you're unhappy with your purchase, contact the seller. If the seller won't help, contact Spyderco Warranty and Repair. They'll probably tell you to send it in so they can see it, and either repair or replace it. Or you can void the warranty and possibly destroy the knife working on it yourself. They aren't that hard to fix, but there is some risk involved. For the record, I've never heard of a manufacturer that has never shipped a defective product. Even Victorinox has had a few issues.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I had a very stiff Pelican (hard to open with 2 hands) wich works just fine now, the blade swings free when the lock bar is pressed.
All I did was to open and close it over and over (several hundred times, took more than a week playing with that knife every second of free time). There was a little dent in the liner right at the pivot, I could see it-and I worked it away. Of course stainless steel handled knives are not as adjustable as screw versions but Crossbill and Pelican convinced me they are absolutely useful as feeling just like a single piece of metal when open!
Good luck with your Crossbill whatever you do with it. To contact the seller would also be a good idea if you don´t want to take the risk of failing to break it in.
Btw: after handling the Pelican that intensively we got really close, now it is my #1 work knife when things get rough.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I suspect it's very gritty. I cleaned my Massad Ayoob and the tension of opening/closing reduced about 300%.

If not, I would send it into Spyderco for an adjustment.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Did you buy it new, if so call\email\return to that store or contact Spyderco about it
as Yablawnoski noted. Some have had new knives that were gritty as Blerv said, and
they can be washed in soapy water, dried and oiled and worked open and close as
Commendatore replied. Now that I think about it, there wasn't any need for me to
say anything.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Do what everyone else said, especially Commendator. My Endura was very tight when I first got it. While watching tv I would open and close the knife repeatedly eventually it got to where it is now and feels great. No oil or adjustments needed.
Failing that get in touch with the seller or warranty repairs. Until you know the issue try not to write off the Byrd's I only have one but I have many more on my list.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

What Commendatore said.

I have gotten used spydies and started playing with them as I often do with new blades, just flicking them open and shut in my spare time, and all have loosened up a bit. The SS models can sometimes be a bit stiffer in my experience but they too will loosen up with time as the mating surfaces between tang and bushings or frame or lock wear the tiny uneven spots smooth. I would just keep playing with the knife and not decide to send it back into :spyder: until I had opened and shut probably 1000+ times.

If you really don't like it, you can send it to me. I still want a crossbill ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

my 2 byrd knives are perfect. you would think they would be much more expensive.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zeroed4X,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for posting. Sorry for your disappointment with the knife. If you'll send it to us, we'll sort it out.

sal
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Thanks for all the comments, I have quite a bit of previous experience with tight spydercos and I've always been able to resolve stiff deployment issues.
I decided to return it and never look at another Byrd unless it has screws and I can get to the inside of the SOB. I will admit, its a huge disappointment and quite frankly had me pissed off beyond comprehension. I was defeated by a $26 POS but, lesson learned. Thanks
Zeroed4x W4WTA
araneae

Post by araneae »

zeroed4x wrote:Thanks for all the comments, I have quite a bit of previous experience with tight spydercos and I've always been able to resolve stiff deployment issues.
I decided to return it and never look at another Byrd unless it has screws and I can get to the inside of the SOB. I will admit, its a huge disappointment and quite frankly had me pissed off beyond comprehension. I was defeated by a $26 POS but, lesson learned. Thanks
Sorry to hear you took the whole situation so hard. I can assure you that this is not the norm with any of my Byrds. When you get this frustrated about a knife, you may want to think about the things in life that are truly worth getting frustrated about like world hunger, families with no health care, the growing gap between the rich and the poor......
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

araneae wrote:Sorry to hear you took the whole situation so hard. I can assure you that this is not the norm with any of my Byrds. When you get this frustrated about a knife, you may want to think about the things in life that are truly worth getting frustrated about like world hunger, families with no health care, the growing gap between the rich and the poor......
Agreed... I can't imagine getting that upset over a <$30 knife. If it was a $400 sebenza, I could see getting upset. But lets get things into perspective.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Once I had to send in a $130 Dodo. 3 weeks later it couldn't be fixed "perfect" so they sent another that was far better. I don't think they cashed my check either.

So yea, $5 to upgrade it to a "hand picked" knife basically.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

zeroed4x wrote:I will admit, its a huge disappointment and quite frankly had me pissed off beyond comprehension.
you may want to think about the things in life that are truly worth getting frustrated about
I used to live near this part of South Florida, you would be amazed at how quick people get upset about trivial things. Quick tempers and short attention spans, and lots of air conditioning.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Don't be so madits a $30 knife.even the owner apologized to ya.I don't buyem eather unless I can get into them.I thinknits pretty cool sal the owner apologized himself you cant get better then that.