If you could only have one Spydie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

If you could only have one Spydie...

Post by TomAiello »

If you could only have one Spyderco knife which one would it be?

Assume that money is no object, since if you're only going to have one instead of a whole collection, you'll have a lot of money left over anyway :)

Mine: Manix 2 s90v
Runner up: Southfork

Anyone else?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm glad I don't have to choose... :D
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Put me on Chuck's list, because if a frog had wings....
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm not 100% sure what version it will be, but it would have to be a Military.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Southard. Although the Domino might unseat it when it gets here.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

The Street Beat. Small, but very capable.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm glad I don't have to choose... :D
I have to admit that my underlying motivation in starting this thread was to create a shopping list for myself. :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a Para2 and while I like it well enough I never thought it was the be-all, end-all knife for me. I now have a Gayle Bradley folder and a Vallotton. I like both of these but I got them because they were each different and each had its own unique features. I just got a Manix 2 today, the older version with solid liners. I'm not really wowed by it and I don't know if I will put it in the EDC rotation or not. (mini review :) I do like the handle shape, I prefer tip-down, it is considerably heavier than the Para2, the lock is a little harder to disengage than I would prefer, and I'm not sure if I like the hollow ground blade or not. I was interested in getting the XL version, now I'm not so sure. I am interested in getting a Military. I have never held one yet, it might be my favorite, or might not.

So based on my limited experience so far, I would say Para2.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Manix 2 XL. I only say this because you said only one Spyderco knife, so I assume I can have a fixed blade from another company. There are other companies that make comparable fixed blades, but Spyderco is King in the land of folders IMO.
Barman

Post by Barman »

I am partial to my Millies and my new Ti version I just started carrying today is going to be tough to beat. But, I do have a Domino on pre-order and with the smooth ball bearing washers and lower weight I suspect will give the Ti Millie a run for its money.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

Add me to the Manix XL pile.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I'll let you know when the Domino is out

Post by 1623 »

Sage 1, and though it'll never happen, if I could get one with Super Blue or S90V, I'd be ok with that :D
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Xceptnl and I think alike. Less than a week after getting my LH Military and all other knives seem inadequate now. I've got the fine point for detail work, belly for slicing, and length for the big jobs. It's a big knife that acts small when I need it to.

Wish it was a different steel like 20CP or 204P but the S30V takes a nice edge quickly and holds it long enough. Too bad blade swaps are out of the question on the lefty models.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

For me it would be a toss up between the Southard and the Military with the Para 2 a very, very close 3rd. At the moment I'll say Military but I'd be fine with any of the 3.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

TomAiello wrote:I have to admit that my underlying motivation in starting this thread was to create a shopping list for myself. :)
Normally I have answered this question with the one knife that would fit best in ANY situation. I now think that is unrealistic as I doubt if I will ever find myself forced to live in the woods for a long time or anything like that. So, if you don't already have one, get a Chaparral. I've had the CF (first) model and now have the Chaparral 2 (guess what, second :) ) model. Love both. Since money isn't an object I'd say get the titanium handle. But both are top shelf. Unless my lifestyle changes this is a perfect knife. If I come upon tasks or work that require anything stronger I'd just go ahead and get something else (hatchet, saw, etc.) My lifestyle just doesn't require a hard use knife. Of course I have a couplt of hard use folders and a fixed blade or two. However, they don't count because I'm limited to one. Chaparral.

Jack
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I don't own a military but I've held one. I would have to choose it.
GSO

Post by GSO »

Spyderco Wooden Kit Dragonfly.

If I ever convinced myself to have just one Spydie, it would be apparent that I've undergone some life-changing breakthrough like voiding most of my worldly possessions and living a simple/minimalist/austere/Amish/deliberate life. My cutting needs would probably have been relegated to a single fixed blade (Just one knife? Fixed blade.), a multitool, or even a ho-hum pair of scissors.

The Wooden Dragonfly would be the last remnant serving the singular purpose of reminding me of a time I enjoyed collecting and using Spyderco knives.

This was probably not an answer this thread was looking for, but it is my thoughtful answer.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

probably a military um maybe well ... most likely. Depends ...
MCM

Post by MCM »

M4 Military :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......