clean your ceramic rods!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jer wrote:I've been able to purchase BKF at both Publix (right next to Ajax, Bon Ami, Comet, etc.) and Lowes if that helps. Not sure where in the panhandle you are located but hopefully one of the two is within reasonable driving distance.
First off, welcome to the forum!!!

Second, I just called Lowe's and they have it. I can't believe it. It's been hiding in a store I go to quite often but the last place I've thought of to look for it. We do have a Publix bit never go in there. Well maybe 5 times in 30 years. Thanks a bunch.

Jack
phitzer

Post by phitzer »

I have seen and picked up Bar Keepers at my local Lowes. Lowes should have it at your local store.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I have a question and dont wanna start a new thread just for this .............so ,
How does spyderco sharpen there knives ? Freehand ?? Beltsander ?? or what
Steel Snob M-4
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DJ wrote:I have a question and dont wanna start a new thread just for this .............so ,
How does spyderco sharpen there knives ? Freehand ?? Beltsander ?? or what
This really should have it's own thread (or at least resurect one that's closer to topic ;) )

That said, for the first 1/2 of my life (so far ;) ) just a carborundum oil stone freehand. Then SM until last year when I got a Wicked Edge.

I have all the Spyderco and DMT bench stones and I'll use them occasionally but mostly it's the WE these days.

I'm not a fan of power sharpening tools (I'm sure they are fine in skilled hands, but I'd screw it up. ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
DJ

Post by DJ »

How does spyderco sharpen there knives ?
You seemed to have missed my question ............
How does Spyderco company sharpen there knives ?
Steel Snob M-4
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DJ wrote:You seemed to have missed my question ............
How does Spyderco company sharpen there knives ?
Ah, apologies.... Dunno for sure, probably a grinding wheel of some sort. Maybe Sal will say. Not on a SM, I can tell you that much ;)

Ken
玉鋼
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks for the reply though ........... I would think that they freehand on some sort of a belt sander ,
I dont know though .........I would like to know though.
Steel Snob M-4
Clip

Post by Clip »

Jack, PM me your address and I'll mail you a thing of Bar Keeper's Friend. I've used it on the medium benchstone and it works well, but it really excels at cleaning my stainless sinks and homebrewing equipment. Can't beat that oxalic acid! Wonder how it would work on stainless blades?
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

BKF is also the bees knees for cleaning stainless cookware. ;)
Clip

Post by Clip »

JNewell wrote:BKF is also the bees knees for cleaning stainless cookware. ;)
My pots have never been cleaner. No wonder barkeepers are so happy.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Barman

Post by Barman »

Clip wrote:My pots have never been cleaner. No wonder barkeepers are so happy.
After 20 years in the business I can knowledgeably state that it's not so much the cleansers keeping us happy as it is the libations. ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Barman wrote:After 20 years in the business I can knowledgeably state that it's not so much the cleansers keeping us happy as it is the libations. ;)
That's great news. Now I know libations can clean ceramic stones also. Gotta go buy some libations! :)
cbrines

Post by cbrines »

DJ wrote:Thanks for the reply though ........... I would think that they freehand on some sort of a belt sander ,
I dont know though .........I would like to know though.
If you walk into their headquarters store here in Golden, they will sharpen your knives for you on a SM. I've seen them do it.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

cbrines wrote:If you walk into their headquarters store here in Golden, they will sharpen your knives for you on a SM. I've seen them do it.
True, but the guys in production use powered equipment to sharpen the knives they manufacture. You can tell by studying the scratch pattern on a new knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JNewell wrote:BKF is also the bees knees for cleaning stainless cookware. ;)
I have found "Bar Keeper's Friend" powdered cleanser to be excellent on many cleaning chores. You are absolutely right about cleaning and maintaining stainless cookware. I have a bunch of "Revere Ware" cookware that is stainless with a copper bottom and I haven't found anything that even comes close to BKF. It is one of the most excellent rust removers I've ever tried on top of all of that. You can take knife blades that are really tarnished and showing ware from being used and it will rejuvenate so many types of materials.

And again it's so economical to use>> because so many of the discount drug stores and variety stores sell it very cheap. If I ever find anything that works better than BKF I will immediately check it out but so far it's the best cleaner I've ever used for many different cleaning chores. I do however recommend using rubber gloves because it can really wreak havoc on your bare hands in you use it unprotected.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I went to the local Wallymart and found the Bar Keepers Friend but only in the liquid form! It was only $2.62 for like a 28 oz bottle. :D
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

For those of you recommending Bar Keeper's Friend.... Does it come in powdered form? Is that how you're purchasing it and applying it to the sharpening stones?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I've rubbed baking soda on by hand and it removed all visible traces of steel on the stones
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

wolfgaze wrote:For those of you recommending Bar Keeper's Friend.... Does it come in powdered form? Is that how you're purchasing it and applying it to the sharpening stones?
It comes in powder just like Comet in the same kind of container. Sprinkle some on the stone or sponge and scrub the stone. Comet works good but this stuff is better. Gets my white stone looking new and it seems to cut better (cleaner). I keep telling myself the cutting better may be my imagination but I don't think it is. The pores in the stone are cleaner so I think it cuts better. Also, this is the first time I believe I see a big difference in how the stone performs when clean compared to dirty.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

jackknifeh wrote:It comes in powder just like Comet in the same kind of container. Sprinkle some on the stone or sponge and scrub the stone. Comet works good but this stuff is better. Gets my white stone looking new and it seems to cut better (cleaner). I keep telling myself the cutting better may be my imagination but I don't think it is. The pores in the stone are cleaner so I think it cuts better. Also, this is the first time I believe I see a big difference in how the stone performs when clean compared to dirty.
Thanks Jack!