Forum Knife... Some (Limited) Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Flint blades are so stone age. Call me when they come out with the obsidian version. Some Amber scales would go pretty with that.
springnr wrote:To help ensure the 2016 Forum knife is available when announced, Spyderco is running the 2016 production concurrent with the 2013 batch.
Early leaks indicate the 2016 version is a retro Native with a flint blade and turquoise stone handle.
Finding enough flint knappers is slightly holding up production on both knife batches at this time.
This way the 2016 forum knives will be ready for immediate delivery when announced, but might be a little dusty from sitting on the shelf.
; >)
Or not, maybe, who knows, all good things....
Float like a butterfly, sting with a Spyderco.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I haven't really seen any "complaining" or "whining". However I have seen people sharing their thoughts, concerns and points-of-view. This is a discussion forum and that is exactly what this forum is for.
This!

Seems like some people are too eager to jump on anyone with a concern or an expressed thought.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not holding my breath. When it happens, it happens.

We thought it was going to be June, but we also thought it was going to be 2011 and 2012.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:I'm not holding my breath. When it happens, it happens.

We thought it was going to be June, but we also thought it was going to be 2011 and 2012.
This too.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

arjay18 wrote:Well the way I see it Spyderco is still making money on this, you have to look at it in my perspective. I'm Chinese and the way we look at sales is to put a small markup and sell a boatload rather than selling at a premium and selling a quarter of that quantity. I think this is what they are doing selling it with a little margin and selling a lot, then WE sing praises like "Where else are you going to get a properly heat treated S110V folder for about US$140???" any people jump in seeing that, free marketing I tell yah. It really has nothing to do with their kind hearts or goodwill selling them that low, just pure marketing. Spyderco is still profit driven and is concerned about the bottom line, thus I'm sure they are still making money. I am okay with that since its still a win for us consumers.

I'm not complaining particularly about the wait, just that WE at least deserve some official updates on what is happening when it's delayed. It's just good customer service to do that rather than just keep silent about the matter like there is a shroud of secrecy behind everything.
That would be true if it were just another S30V blade. To do a new steel correctly, a lot of time has to go into production issues such as heat treatment. This takes time and money investments, and probably most critically for Spyderco it requires directing human resources into a project at the expense of other projects. Look at how many regular production knives are chronically out of stock. If Spyderco wanted to maximize revenues, profits and overall customer satisfaction, they'd ditch the sprints, exclusives and special projects like this and run off regular production items, which sell at a much higher margin. From a perspective of pure profit, the forum knife is nuts, a nearly total waste.

As far as communications go, yes, more would be better, but in my business there are certainly times when people seem to want to talk about doing things rather than doing things. If you think about the number of things people here and at other knife fora are justifiably curious about, at some point you create a real productivity drag (or, if you want to create a new position, the Executive Vice President of Keeping Forum Members' Curiosity Satisfied, for example ;) ), a drag on profits. :spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

arjay18 wrote: WE at least deserve some official updates on what is happening when it's delayed.
Why do WE "deserve" this? Because we buy their products? I disagree. Would I love to know every single detail about every inner working at Spyderco? I'm a huge fan of the company. Of course I would. But I've never done anything to "deserve" that. Think of any little tidbits you get about new models etc as a GIFT and I think you'll be a much happier person.

As a related aside, it seems like nobody has any patience anymore. We are so focused on immediate gratification (be that knowledge, purchasing something, whatever) that the joy of simply experiencing the reality of the moment is lost. I blame the Internet for a lot of this. You used to have to drive to the library to look things up. Drive to stores to see, not what was available anywhere on the planet, but what that store had in stock. Some stores (Sears made their reputation on this) also had a catalog department you could order things from, that might arrive a week or a month later. Please don't misunderstand, I love that we have access to so many things today. But it's also kinda sad what we've lost along the way.

Old person sad rant over ;)

Ken

(and GET OFF MY LAWN! ;) )
玉鋼
springnr

Post by springnr »

Jes Schuetz wrote:Flint blades are so stone age. Call me when they come out with the obsidian version. Some Amber scales would go pretty with that.
Flint may not get as sharp, but holds its edge longer.
Obsidian does take a heat treat though, and ribbon Obsidian would make for a sweet knife blade.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Can someone post pictures of Spyderco Forum knife or knives? I have heard of this elusive animal for years now but have yet to actually see one.
Barman

Post by Barman »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Can someone post pictures of Spyderco Forum knife or knives? I have heard of this elusive animal for years now but have yet to actually see one.
Here's a forum knife thread.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... rum+knives
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

springnr wrote:Flint may not get as sharp, but holds its edge longer.
Obsidian does take a heat treat though, and ribbon Obsidian would make for a sweet knife blade.
Never heard of ribbon obsidian so I looked it up.
It looks really nice :-)
Float like a butterfly, sting with a Spyderco.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:Sorry you didn't get in. I'm already testing the 2014 Forum knife. It's pretty cool (let's just say it's iconic and has a stop lock...), but not quite as ergonomic as the Barong 2. ;)
I really hate to tell you, but I just finished testing 2015 and will start working on proto of 2016 Forum knife, which I received last Friday. :) Sorry , I cannot post pictures or discuss details. It is classified :D
JNewell wrote: To do a new steel correctly, a lot of time has to go into production issues such as heat treatment. This takes time and money investments, and probably most critically for Spyderco it requires directing human resources into a project at the expense of other projects.
+1
New product development in many cases even more complicated than this. You never know, what can go wrong or just bring you results, wich will not be satisfactory.
JNewell wrote:If Spyderco wanted to maximize revenues, profits and overall customer satisfaction, they'd ditch the sprints, exclusives and special projects like this and run off regular production items, which sell at a much higher margin. From a perspective of pure profit, the forum knife is nuts, a nearly total waste.
+1
Also raise MSRP for para and Manix for 10-20% and they still will be sold like hot pancakes.
JNewell wrote: the Executive Vice President of Keeping Forum Members' Curiosity Satisfied, for example ;) ),
I thought that this is Kristi's job :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

arjay18 wrote:Well the way I see it Spyderco is still making money on this, you have to look at it in my perspective. I'm Chinese and the way we look at sales is to put a small markup and sell a boatload rather than selling at a premium and selling a quarter of that quantity. I think this is what they are doing selling it with a little margin and selling a lot, then WE sing praises like "Where else are you going to get a properly heat treated S110V folder for about US$140???" any people jump in seeing that, free marketing I tell yah. It really has nothing to do with their kind hearts or goodwill selling them that low, just pure marketing. Spyderco is still profit driven and is concerned about the bottom line, thus I'm sure they are still making money. I am okay with that since its still a win for us consumers.

I'm not complaining particularly about the wait, just that WE at least deserve some official updates on what is happening when it's delayed. It's just good customer service to do that rather than just keep silent about the matter like there is a shroud of secrecy behind everything.
Relax Man.
Orangeneck

Post by Orangeneck »

BAL wrote:Relax Man.
+1. I think of this forum knife as a nice gift from Spyderco (~$140 for a properly HT-ed S110V blade). With their current backlog, they certainly didn't have to offer this knife. I had to wait 16 months (24 months from announcement) for the green PM2 and am very happy with the final product. I will also be happy when the final forum knife arrives. In the meantime, there are plenty of other spydies available for my hobby.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think its time to change the tone of this thread again
[video=youtube;IwPHy17Iu6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPHy17Iu6E[/video]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DRKBC wrote:I think its time to change the tone of this thread again
[video=youtube;IwPHy17Iu6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPHy17Iu6E[/video]
Most excellent. +1 for a change of tone!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I've never posted on this forum before. Although I've had a small collection 5 or 6 folders for several years now I've only recently become interested in collecting knives as a hobby and then I bought my first Spyderco half a year ago (a Manix) and since then have been lurking on the Spyderco forum. Now I'm at over 10 but less than 15 (honestly haven't counted them) - which is a tiny collection compared to most on this forum.

It is a shame that some of the knives I really like such as the blue M390 Paramilitary aren't production runs and if I want them now - I will have to pay an arm and a leg for them through eBay. Although I haven't been a Spyderco fan for a long time I suspect that I will be one for a long time to come. Other knife companies do put out SOME nice knives but pretty much ALL of the knives that I've looked at from Spyderco - especially the "Golden" ones are of impeccable quality and are also a pleasure to handle.

I'm sure everybody here knows what I'm talking about and there is no shame in admitting that I enjoy fondling my Spyderco knives. I have already ordered the carbon fiber Native 5 from Knifecenter and will probably order a couple of the forum knives if Spyderco will take my order for two. A Native5 with S110V for approx $140-150 is something worth spending a few extra bucks for. If I am allowed to purchase 2 Forum knives - I will keep one pristine NIB and use the other one (or the CF). I will not sell the "extra" knife for inflated prices on eBay - since that is the reason why I won't likely get a S90V CF Military or Blue M390 Paramilitary. But if I do have an "extra" then I would always be willing to have a piece to trade to another "real" knife fan who missed out on the forum knife but may have an extra knife that I like that I've missed out on.

When reading through these forums there is a lot of great info that a lot of contributors have thoughtfully put together for ANYONE to view. I really don't see myself spending hours cutting rope to test the edge retention - but I really do appreciate those people that have done this so that I know what the knife is capable of. To be honest, I'd rather just lurk and fondle my knife in private.

But I will show my support to Spyderco by way of my continued patronage in purchasing their knives in the future as my collection continues to grow. Although I have lurked on here for a while - it is the prospect of the Forum knife that actually enticed me to register on this forum.

I will probably go back to lurking - or perhaps just occasionally showing my appreciation for others who have done some real life testing or has provided an especially interesting tidbit of information. Actually that is what has prompted this first post of mine - and why I've responded to this particular post. This video that was posted has nothing to do with knives - but it sure cracked me up and I am sure that I will laugh at it a few more times and forward it for the pleasure of others to view. It is a breath of positivity while other posts that I've seen on this thread - as well as the one that was shut down :(
have been less than positive.

So thank you very much DRKBC - your post gave me quite the chuckle. It was a few minutes that was well worth spent viewing that video and having a good laugh.

Now back to lurking.......and fondling my knives ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums ManixFan :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Holland wrote:welcome to the forums ManixFan :D
Thank you very much for the welcome. Is that a Blue Paramilitary that I see in your avatar? Lucky dog! :D

Edit: Consider that a rhetorical question. I just noticed the options under your avatar and clicked on the blue text linking to your "hoard" and see that it is. A very nice collection Holland!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

ManixFan wrote:It is a shame that some of the knives I really like such as the blue M390 Paramilitary aren't production runs and if I want them now - I will have to pay an arm and a leg for them through eBay.
Welcome to the forums ManixFan. BBS says they expect to get another run of the Blue M390 Para 2's in 2014, so you should be able to get one if you are willing to wait.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Spyderco won't release the Forum Knife until we push this thread to 42 pages. (42 - the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything!)

Come on, everyone! POST!

TedP