Has anyone actually worn out a Ti framelock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Parkourdude

Has anyone actually worn out a Ti framelock?

Post by Parkourdude »

Hey guys.

Has anyone actually worn out a Ti framelock from a quality manufacturer with normal use?

I see so many posts on forums about Ti frame locks. It has always been wear this, wear that, posting about possible wear of the Titanium...

I've yet to find a post of someone actually wearing one out from use (not abuse).
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

No one actually uses them?

LOL, just kidding. :)
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:No one actually uses them?

LOL, just kidding. :)
Haha, wouldn't surprise me. I'd be pretty scared to use some of the mid-tech frame locks.

What about good production ones? Like Spyderco's offerings.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I have a couple framelocks and one of them is a TI millie. The lockup moved a bit fast initially but then settled down and has stayed that way. I really can't say I have used it a lot(but it has seen some use) since I prefer the Ti/CF platform for the millie. I really don't think wear is all that worrisome on a framelock(or any other knife for that matter), unless you really stress the lock often with "hard use" or if you use the knife like worry beads. :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I haven't worn one out (strider) and I've abused it
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:I haven't worn one out (strider) and I've abused it
How long have you had it Trav?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Hmm, gotta be a few months
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:Hmm, gotta be a few months
I wonder how it will be after a year or so with the same kind of use.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi, I just recently purchased a couple Titanium linerlocks from Spyderco. However, I also had a BM Emerson ATS34 linerlock with Ti liners. I bought it back in 1998 and sold the knife after 12 years of fine service in 2010. It served me well in my Kosovo-tour back in 1999. No problems with the lock, no wear and a solid lock up. I am convinced Ti is a good (when well executed in the productionprocess of course) linerlock material.
Tom
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

toomzz wrote:Hi, I just recently purchased a couple Titanium linerlocks from Spyderco. However, I also had a BM Emerson ATS34 linerlock with Ti liners. I bought it back in 1998 and sold the knife after 12 years of fine service in 2010. It served me well in my Kosovo-tour back in 1999. No problems with the lock, no wear and a solid lock up. I am convinced Ti is a good (when well executed in the productionprocess of course) linerlock material.
Wow... 12 years and still kicking? Since then I'm sure our manufacturers have learned a thing or two as well.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Parkourdude wrote:Wow... 12 years and still kicking? Since then I'm sure our manufacturers have learned a thing or two as well.
They should last a long time if they're not abused. :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:...or if you use the knife like worry beads. :)
flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close...

I have been guilty of using a knife like this :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have ZT561. It is fun knife to play and I opened and closed it more times than I care to admit :o . I do not see any visible wear.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

senorsquare wrote:flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close, flick, snap, close...

I have been guilty of using a knife like this :)
+1. :rolleyes: No wonder the lock on my Sage2 now travels all the way to the opposite scale. When virgin, the lock traveled less than half the distance.

But, given that the lockup remains as tight as day one, I would have to say the lock is worn down but not out.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

bh49 wrote:I have ZT561. It is fun knife to play and I opened and closed it more times than I care to admit :o . I do not see any visible wear.
Yeah that flipper would be so **** addicting to play with. Good to know about the (lack of) wear.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

my CPM M4 Millie has been my main carry since it came out, which I believe was 2.5 years ago now?? It's my only Ti framelock, unfortunately it has the steel insert so that doesn't really help with your question. All I know is the lockup hasn't budged since maybe the first month. It started around 40%, broke in to about 50% and there it sits.

edit: and while I don't abuse my knives, I certainly don't baby them. This has seen some serious wood prep for camp fires, hardwood whittling, countless cardboard boxes and zip ties, picking thorns out of bike tires, stabbed into 2x4s to hold a lightweight cloth in place, etc...
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Most of my EDC have been Ti Frame locks and I have never worn out the lock on a Hinderer, Sebenza, Spyderco or Strider knife. Its a great lock IMO.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

I saw one worn out once. It wasn't mine, but a friend's. His dad carried it for years, and my friend carried it exclusively for over a decade. He never once cleaned or sharpened it, and constantly flicked it for fun. Maker's mark was worn off so I don't know what it was, but I think it was as cheap as Ti framelocks get.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

FYI it's highly recommended to not continuously flick open any knife regardless of make or materials. I have a feeling the vast majority of worn out locks are due to this issue as it surely causes premature wear and will probably cut the lifespan of your knife in half if not more. If only opened when it's going to be used, cleaned, or sharpened, most high quality knives should last many many years.

As a side note, you may notice on some newer knives they are starting to use a replaceable steel insert at the tip of the locking engagement point. It probably adds a bit more weight but if you are the chronic flicker type this may be the way to go. Just make sure to stock up on plenty of replacement inserts at the time of purchase =)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

If my knife can't hold up to me playing with it, that doesn't say quality to me