is the caly3 CF vs delica 4 FFG

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dino

is the caly3 CF vs delica 4 FFG

Post by dino »

I'm getting a new knife. I have a tenacious and really like it but it’s too big for edc at the office. So I got the robin 2 which is very nice but I is just a tad too small and not a real spyderco. So now I want a real spyderco with a vg-10 steel or better and a size between the robin and tenacious. I also need it to be innocent looking as I live in Europe.
I’ve narrowed it down to the delica 4 FFG, the caly3 (I can only find the zdp-189 CF) and the pingo.
The pingo is nice but it has a small spyder hole so not so much fun to flip open.
The delica is perfect but it’s a shame there is a gap between the start of the blade and the handle when its closed (unlike the DF2).
The caly3 is beautiful, right size, nice design but its 180 euro and ZDP-189 and I’m not sure I want zdp-189. I mainly use it for food prep so lots of washing. And I’m not sure how the police will handle the knife its perfectly legal, but I’m not sure they know that…

So my question is, is the caly3 worth 2.5 delica 4’s? (I can’t import from the US to get it cheaper :’( )
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

dino,

I LOVE my Calys. They are my favorite style knives, to include the UKPK. I absolutely believe they are worth the premium at US street price. Are they worth 2.5 Delicas, especially at EU MSRP? Probably not, at least from a purely utilitarian point of view. From a economic standpoint, I'd buy a Delica and Sharpmaker, before the ZDP Caly.

I would not worry about the ZDP from a food prep, washing and oiling perspective. A little bit of mineral oil after wet and dirty use should keep you happy. Although I would not worry about food prep, I would be concerned from a sharpening perspective. VG10 is much easier to sharpen. Though the ZDP will hold a working edge longer, once it loses that edge, it is a bear to get scary sharp again.

So my recommendation, get a Delica and Sharpmaker now. Then tell yourself you'll spend the next year pining over the Caly. If you are like me, your will power will not hold and you'll purchase the Caly much sooner. Hopefully by then, you'll have mastered the sharpening process and keeping the ZDP honed will be easy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
dino

Post by dino »

I already have the sharpmaker with the normal rods. So that just leaves buying a knife. :D

I've also looked at the UKPK but i can't get my hands on the FFG version. They only sell the saber grind kinds in the shops i can buy from. I can't buy from warriors and wonders or other Canadian or US shops. A shame they have cool stores.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Well Dino, I made a bad assumption. If you already have the sharpmaker and know how to use it, then I'd say go with what your heart says. Would you buy a Caly and then regret spending the money or would you buy the Delica and wish you had purchased the Caly?

The Caly is a mighty fine blade. Money being no object, I'd go with that then.

Again, good luck.
James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Clip

Post by Clip »

That's a shame you can't buy from US stores. Sierra Trading Post has a titanium UKPK, FFG/leaf blade for $99 US.

I'd go with the Caly, I love my CF/ZDP.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I have the caly 3 in CF, and I love it. The ZDP is laminated between stainless steel, so there's really not much problem with staining, even when using it for food prep. Give it a little wipe down after use and you'll be fine.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

dino wrote: I've also looked at the UKPK but i can't get my hands on the FFG version. They only sell the saber grind kinds in the shops i can buy from. I can't buy from warriors and wonders or other Canadian or US shops. A shame they have cool stores.
Why you cannot buy from US? To the best of my knowledge many our European forum member using US dealers. I believe that we have members from Belgium as well. Check secondary markets as well. ebay, classified section on BF. There are many great discontinued knives like g10/VG10 Caly3, CF UKPK and few others. All of them can be found on secondary market, especially if you are patient.
Regarding your choice is hard to tell. It is personal. I strongly prefer knives with finger choil, which crossing Delica out of my list. I am not a big fun of laminated blade also. out of current production I would strongly recommend Native5.
Police never was a concern for me. I never gave them reason for search. Also I am trying to carry only legal knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi Dino, yes the Caly 3 and 3.5 are worth it! Try the 3,5 over the 3. This little more lenght will give you more grip and more blade to cut or slice longer (food)stuff. Besides that the caly has much more tapered blade making it go easier through all kind of foodstuff you cut and slice. The threadclip making it less visible when wearing and wears deeper in your pocket than the D4clip.
Tom
dino

Post by dino »

hi bh49,

Do you know what shops they used? warrior and wonders and Amazon don't deliver to Belgian addresses i checked.

I'll look into the native 5 to see how it looks.

thank you
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'd choose the Caly over the delica, and I would give the native 5 a close look as bh49 suggested.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

dino wrote:hi bh49,

Do you know what shops they used? warrior and wonders and Amazon don't deliver to Belgian addresses i checked.
To the best of my knowledge Knifeworks, Knifecenter, New Graham knives, Cutlery Shoppe are reputable dealers and will ship to Europe. The best source for information will be our European member, most likely they know more dealers, who will ship to Europe.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

So much to choose from .... Between the Caly 3, the Delica and the Native 5 my answer would still be "it depends". Out of the three, I use a Delica most but I wouldn't take one to the office. I don't know what your office environment is like. You may be comfortable with a Delica in yours, I'm not in mine so I would go with the Caly. Whilst it is a nice knife, I haven't carried my N5 much after the initial honeymoon period, its heavy and bulky ymmv.

Scratch around. I'm sure there are vendors that will ship to Belgium - I'd be surprised if Cutlery Shoppe and Knifeworks didn't. They ship to South Africa when Amazon doesn't (or didn't).
Donut

Post by Donut »

If I were you, I would give the 2013 version of the UKPK a look. I'm carrying mine today and it should handle all of my cutting for the day, which will be food prep in the afternoon.

I like the Pingo for casual use, the blade seems a little larger than a Dragonfly and the opening hasn't been an issue for me. I always think to myself "no one will find offense to this little thing!"
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dino

Post by dino »

@Psquared

What is the difference between the delica and the caly3 for office use? My office environment is a typical IT office environment. I have no problem using my robin 2 but its a small knife. I guessed the delica would do fine as well as it has nice innocent colours and is quite sleek. Why would the caly3 be more appropriate?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dino wrote:@Psquared

What is the difference between the delica and the caly3 for office use? My office environment is a typical IT office environment. I have no problem using my robin 2 but its a small knife. I guessed the delica would do fine as well as it has nice innocent colours and is quite sleek. Why would the caly3 be more appropriate?
IMO, the caly 3 carries deeper in the pocket and can be more discrete.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:IMO, the caly 3 carries deeper in the pocket and can be more discrete.
Also, with the CF caly the carbon fiber scales give it more of an elegant gentleman's folder vibe which may be less threatening to any non-knife co-workers.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:IMO, the caly 3 carries deeper in the pocket and can be more discrete.
Also IMHO delica looks more like a cutting tool. Caly3, especially CF variant looks more like jewelry, which can cut.

CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

This is a knife anybody should be proud to have in the pocket ;)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
dino

Post by dino »

Thank you all this helped allot.

It's good to know what the difference in carry is at the office. In my free time everyone is used to seeing me with a knife but at the office they are just getting used to it :D . It seemed they already noticed....

thank you all
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

dino wrote:@Psquared

All of what xceptnl, seniorsquare and bh49 said. My office unfortunately has more Rolex than G-Shock - just that kind of environment .... Which doesn't mean I don't occasionally wear jeans, a G-shock and carry an SE Endura to the office just to wind people up.