Wilkins grips now available for the Delica 4!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevin Wilkins

Post by Kevin Wilkins »

A couple of other things ... my scales do of course incorporate the Spyderco steel liners, they fit in recessed pockets just like in the original factory grips. The trick is the spacer. The factory spacers have small protrusions cast in both sides which fit into holes in the steel liners. These keep the spacer from flexing downward under pressure from the back spring. This is a very important mechanical criteria. There is very little room inside the knife to play around and it was a challenge to figure out how to make a spacer with a press fit cross pin. Obviously, there is no way I could pay for injection moulding of my spacers.

I too think titanium grips would be cool, however I will do the first run of D4 grips either from Alu like these or from G10/G11 to make sure all is well before I invest thousands of $ in Ti sheet stock. I already have many hours invested in design and mechanical drawings, prototypes and machining fixtures just to get this far. No manufacturer has provided me with their drawings as a starting point for any of my WilkinsGRIP products. The difference between grips that fit and grips that -sort of- fit, is Time and Hard Work.
Kevin Wilkins
Berlin • Germany
wilkins-knives.com
LC Kid

Awesome Work!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

And my respects to Mr. Wilkins for such amazing work!
:) I totally agree the design, the Bee Sting texture really works beautifully.

The pictures at Mr. Wilkins website (http://wilkins-knives.blogspot.com/2013 ... s-for.html) looks to me like you gain a lot in the hand, kind of beefy solid grip.

These kind of superior CNC Machinery doesn't come cheap. But the quality is guaranteed.

Since I'm not a particular fan of Aluminum scales, I'll wait eagerly for the G10/G11, or for the even better Titanium ones!
:D
Stay Sharp!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Not interested.
jnsn

Post by jnsn »

looks great!
[CENTER]HAVE: sage 1, chokwe, gayle bradley, UKPK, wooden dragonfly, grasshopper, bug, bug set, kiwi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Arrived today.

Delicas have a special sentimental place in my collection. An AUS8 1st generation SE in the mid 90s was my first single hand opener.

Fit and finish is superb and at 100 grams on my dodgy scale it is heavier than the 71 grams that the standard Delica but it doesn't worry me.

I actually quite like the smooth ali scales - the handle shape is going to stop your hand from sliding around anyway.

Apologies if anyone thinks it is inappropriate to show a Wilkins-Ritter-Grip on a the Spyderco site but it's the Wilkins scale set that is known best and is a nice comparison.

[ATTACH]22445[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]22446[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]22448[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0246_resize_resize.JPG
IMG_0245_resize_resize.JPG
IMG_0244_resize_resize.JPG
IMG_0243_resize_resize.JPG
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

That looks so awsome!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Wilkins scales are VERY nice. But I can't see spending four times the cost of a normal Delica to get them. For close to that money you can get ALMOST any knife that Spyderco makes. I LOVE my Delicas (I currently have 12) but not THAT much.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

KrisOK wrote:Wilkins scales are VERY nice. But I can't see spending four times the cost of a normal Delica to get them. For close to that money you can get ALMOST any knife that Spyderco makes.
I think I am fortunate to have reached the point that I know what I like in a knife and more importantly what I will use (I like your signature). Dropping some cash to upscale (unintended pun) a model that I like to use makes more sense when you are not spending on experiments anymore. This is the main reason I'd like to see a Cento 3 with screw construction or a sprint with different scales.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Dodge wrote:Those are extremely nice. Can't wait for the endura ones.
Is an Endura version planned or in the works? Scared to ask what that might cost given the hefty price for the Delica... Pretty cool looking though.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Is an Endura version planned or in the works? Scared to ask what that might cost given the hefty price for the Delica... Pretty cool looking though.
From his blog:

Right now I will be selling 12 sets of grips, all Hardcoat Black anodized, machines from 6082-T6 Alu with Dural spacers left in the white. If all goes well, I will be producing the grips in various flavors of G10/G11 as well as other alu colors and titanium.

Oh, and I'm already working on a similar design for the Enduras!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KrisOK wrote:Wilkins scales are VERY nice. But I can't see spending four times the cost of a normal Delica to get them. For close to that money you can get ALMOST any knife that Spyderco makes. I LOVE my Delicas (I currently have 12) but not THAT much.
Exactly. It would be different if the Delica were offered in all the awesome sprint steels, then I could see maybe making yourself the ultimate EDC, but not for any of the offered steels. I may spend a lot of money on Para 2 scales someday but for the price I'd sooner buy another knife instead of scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Bringing this thread back from the past. Has anyone purchased the Ti scales for the Delica? I am seriously contemplating buying a set and dropping in a super blue blade for what could be the perfect edc for me. Any thoughts for feedback from those who have already purchased would be greatly appreciated.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

ohcyclist wrote:Bringing this thread back from the past. Has anyone purchased the Ti scales for the Delica? I am seriously contemplating buying a set and dropping in a super blue blade for what could be the perfect edc for me. Any thoughts for feedback from those who have already purchased would be greatly appreciated.
I have two sets of Wilkins scales for Mini Grips.

I think the Titanium and Super Blue Delica would be an awesome combo.

So much so you've got me actually considering it.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

If this is a good idea I guess the question becomes which finish on the titanium. Fire to match the fluted it military, or the ghost so you see less wear, or natural to develop their own patina. Anyone have experience with how the fire wear in over time?