Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
ginsuwarrior

Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Definitely a great deal for the money. $31.68 on the zon.

Opens very smoothly (thanks to the full stainless liners) and locks up solid. This knife had no noticeable blade play in any direction. The G10 handle felt nice in hand. Really like the choil, wish it was on Endura also.

My only gripes at all, 1) Blade a little too thick at edge for my tastes, and 2) the byrd's eye hole feels a little odd. Other than that seems like a solid knife for the money. Didn't test the the steel real hard, but I think sypderco's 8cr13mov is a very serviceable steel for EDC, based on my other experiences.

I've got too many knives to pass through my EDC and I don't keep a museum, so this one got passed along to my 8 year old :) Thanks for reading!!

endgame

Post by endgame »

I like the knife but not as much as the raven crow or robin.they are cheaper and the blades are thicker and sharpened on both sides.plus the others i stated are g-10 not frn.give one of them a try they are cheaper and a much better knife by far.I don't get the reasoning by this but you will see in hand.I own all of them and my cara2 is for all the tasks I wouldn't use anyother knife for.good knife in the Byrd line but try the others I mentioned they are far better and cheaper.I even think the raven is better then the spyderco value folder line.
Freman

Post by Freman »

The FRN Cara Cara 2 is a very handy economy knife. I really like it. :spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

You know, the byrds are a great value, especially compared to similar
products from other companies. I only have a couple Byrd Robins and they
are solid little knives, but after using the Spyderhole for so long, the "teardrop"
hole just seems odd to me.

They pinch my thumb when I open them. I have had the robins for several years
and originally thought that I would get more byrd models, but never did. I still think
that they are a solid well built knife, not my cup of tea, I guess.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

My biggest gripes on this knife are the shoddy gimping and sharp liner edges, but overall it's pretty hard to beat and similar to the Endura G10.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

i have the cara cara 2 and have no issues, it is a really nice knife. I have the byrd hawkbill as well and it is top notch too.
sal

Post by sal »

The Cara Cara is being made by a new maker. The earlier maker is not longer making knives and the entire production was moved to a new maker. The new pieces are even better than before. We just started to receive some of the models and they are very nice. Very solid with even better quality.

sal
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

sal wrote:The Cara Cara is being made by a new maker. The earlier maker is not longer making knives and the entire production was moved to a new maker. The new pieces are even better than before. We just started to receive some of the models and they are very nice. Very solid with even better quality.

sal
Sounds great! Is there a way to tell by looking on the packaging if one is from the new manufacturer or the old?
BLUETYPEII

Re: Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Doe anyone know what size the clip screws are on the Cara Cara 2. Specifically metric or standard, and thread pitch. I am attempting to do a small customization so I need to find replacement clip screws that are a little longer ( like 2mm ) than the standard ones
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
cbrstar

Re:

Post by cbrstar »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:02 pm
The Cara Cara is being made by a new maker. The earlier maker is not longer making knives and the entire production was moved to a new maker. The new pieces are even better than before. We just started to receive some of the models and they are very nice. Very solid with even better quality.

sal
Hi Sal, sorry to bother you again.

I was wondering if this new factory is the same that makes the Raven and Alcyone? And if so how the heck do I find out about getting one?

Thanks!
Grjfer

Re: Cara Cara 2 thoughts

Post by Grjfer »

Picked up a Cara Cara 2 a couple of weeks ago because I wanted a light, inexpensive yard/work knife. I got the combo edge as I cut vines and rope. I have found the tip to be a little thin for my liking. I have already got a slight bend in the very tip.
carrot

Re: Re:

Post by carrot »

cbrstar wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 pm
sal wrote:

sal

I was wondering if this new factory is the same that makes the Raven and Alcyone? And if so how the heck do I find out about getting one?

Thanks!
That post about a new maker is from 2013.

This is when the first generation Byrd Meadowlark and Cara Cara (the FRN models had feather patterns and the G-10/SS models had scale holes) were discontinued and the Meadowlark2 and Cara Cara2 were introduced.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

carrot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm
cbrstar wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Thanks!

This is when the first generation Byrd Meadowlark and Cara Cara (the FRN models had feather patterns and the G-10/SS models had scale holes) were discontinued and the Meadowlark2 and Cara Cara2 were introduced.
Dang you're right, I didn't even look at the time stamp. Now I'm curious to see what the originals look like in person.
carrot

Post by carrot »

cbrstar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm
carrot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm
cbrstar wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Thanks!

Dang you're right, I didn't even look at the time stamp. Now I'm curious to see what the originals look like in person.
I'll take a picture if I can dig one up. I have a Meadowlark G10 and FRN somewhere...