I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GSO

I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Post by GSO »

Pull out your camera and dig through your collection!

How to play:
  1. A member makes a challenge by posting a photo of his/her :spyder:
  2. Another member posts a photo to match the previous person's :spyder: and includes another :spyder: of his/her own. If that member is the first to post a valid response, his/her photo becomes the latest challenge.
How to win:
  • Every Spyderco model ever produced is displayed in this thread. We all win. ;)
  • Just have fun. Try to keep the thread going.
Rules:
  • The photo must only have two Spyderco models displayed: the one you are matching, and the one you are challenging in turn
  • The Spyderco you challenge must be a new model not previously challenged on this thread.
  • You are matching the particular variation of a model distinguished by its Model Reference code (i.e. SKU). Delica 4 FFG plain edge in black (C11PBK) shall be considered different from a Delica 4 FFG in SpyderEdge (C11SBK) or orange (C11FPOR).
  • Custom modifications to a model are disregarded. Be clear to announce what the model originally was prior to modifications.
  • The photo you submit must include the words "I see your" and "and raise you". You can write it on post-it notes. You can spell it in spaghetti. You can have it typed on your screen displayed next to your knives. Do what you must. This rule prevents cheating by the posting of photos taken not specifically for this game.
  • The first valid response to the standing challenge becomes the current standing challenge. Late responses are disregarded, so be quick.
  • If noone submits a valid response within 18 hours of the latest challenge, the member who posted the latest challenge must submit another photo with a different Spyderco model as challenge (hopefully an easier one). Remember that fun is had when the thread is moving along and not when it's stuck.
  • If the latest challenge stands for more than 24 hours, the game will then be open to a new challenge by any member. The first valid challenge after the 24th hour will be recognized, with later ones being disregarded. The photo you submit must display one new model and the words "I raise you" somewhere in the picture.
Additional:
  • A list of all the models encountered so far is being maintained by good forum member, Reject, continually posted near the beginning or end of each page in the thread. Please refer to it to see which models have already been challenged.
  • When you post a challenge, please consider adding the Model Reference code / SKU of the new :spyder: somewhere in your post. It makes things easier for reference.
  • When posting a challenge, please consider having an additional challenge at the ready. That would mean only having to take out the camera once instead of twice, as well as getting the new challenge out sooner for the sake of pacing.
Say the current challenge is a Superleaf...

C28GRE2 Spyderco Dragonfly2 British Racing Green FRN ZDP-189
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

Stretch 2 ZDP189 Plain Edge
(edited, sorry, I had missed the "Remember that fun is had when the thread is moving along and not when it's stuck." part...
GSO

Post by GSO »

Thanks for playing, jsveiga :) Now I know there are a lot of Stretch fans in the community..
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

GSO wrote:Thanks for playing, jsveiga :) Now I know there are a lot of Stretch fans in the community..
Rofl.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

This looks like a fun game! Can't "see" the stretch at the moment but I'll be sure to throw in some good competition :) Good luck everyone!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

No Stretch ZDP in the house! Must be somebody who has one :) Come on guys!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

A Stretch ZDP shouldn't be hard for someone to call pretty soon. However, there are a few guys here that may be able to stop this thread because they have some knives that there are very few of any more or at least owned by people frequenting this forum.

One thing not mentioned I don't think are modifications. I don't think we should be able to raise with a modified knife requiring the same mod by someone else. I could raise with a Sage4 with kirinite lava-flow scales. I may have the only one in the world for all I know. OTOH, if someone raises a Sage4, can I see that with my Sage4 even if it has different scales? Should we count any valid Sage4 regardless of modifications?

Pretty cool game.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I've got this so we can keep playing. I think sticking with more commonly available Spydies can help keep it going.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GSO

Post by GSO »

xceptnl wrote:I've got this so we can keep playing. I think sticking with more commonly available Spydies can help keep it going.
Is that the discontinued burgundy one?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

They are all discontinued, but that was the burgundy Caly Jr. sprint in ZDP. I can raise again if no one elses posts for more than 12 hours
*Landon*
GSO

Post by GSO »

jackknifeh wrote:One thing not mentioned I don't think are modifications. I don't think we should be able to raise with a modified knife requiring the same mod by someone else. I could raise with a Sage4 with kirinite lava-flow scales. I may have the only one in the world for all I know. OTOH, if someone raises a Sage4, can I see that with my Sage4 even if it has different scales? Should we count any valid Sage4 regardless of modifications?
Good point. It would be much more feasible if we just look at the model and not the modifications. Especially when it comes to things like custom scales, you'll have to be on your honor to tell everyone what the model originally was.
GSO

Post by GSO »

xceptnl wrote:They are all discontinued, but that was the burgundy Caly Jr. sprint in ZDP. I can raise again if no one elses posts for more than 12 hours
Thanks. I figure a lot of people log in during the evening, so give it a while.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm in.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jabba359 wrote:I'm in.

That's just great jabba. That knife may be hard to call. C'mon Deacon, where you at? :)

Jack
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jackknifeh wrote:That's just great jabba. That knife may be hard to call. C'mon Deacon, where you at? :)

Jack
Don't worry Jack, there are a bunch of Qs out there. Way more of them than there are burgundy Calypso Jr's.
-Kyle

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jabba359 wrote:Don't worry Jack, there are a bunch of Qs out there. Way more of them than there are burgundy Calypso Jr's.
I'm sure there are. :) I've thought about getting one but I know I'd be worrying about it having junk all inside the open areas. Tape glue, etc. That's not even considering cutting fruit or something that may be fairly nasty before I get a chance to clean it good. Isn't there an "S" model or some other letter also? Definately a conversation piece when people see it I bet.

Jack
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jackknifeh wrote:I'm sure there are. :) I've thought about getting one but I know I'd be worrying about it having junk all inside the open areas. Tape glue, etc. That's not even considering cutting fruit or something that may be fairly nasty before I get a chance to clean it good. Isn't there an "S" model or some other letter also? Definately a conversation piece when people see it I bet.

Jack
Q was my first Spyderco and I mostly used it for breaking down cardboard, but it cut up food items as well. A quick rinse seemed to do the trick to clean it out, but there certainly are lots of crevices for things to get stuck in! It disappeared from my pocket back in 2001, so I picked up this replacement a couple years ago. I got it mostly for nostalgia, as I don't carry this one. I'd like to pick up a 2nd gen version (with flatter sided handles) to carry every once in a while, but prices are too high for me now.

The other blades with cutouts were the "S" as you mentioned, as well as the first gen "R" model. 2nd gen R lost the skeletonized blade, but kept the skeletonized handle. 3rd version kept the solid blade and lost the skeletonized handle. I hope they don't do a 4th version, because the only thing to eliminate this time would be to fill in the Spyder hole! :eek:
-Kyle

Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

We have reached another speedbump with the SS Endura! Help, anyone to keep this one going.
*Landon*