SE and PE for diving

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dino

SE and PE for diving

Post by dino »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a dive knife and for obvious reasons I want a spyderco. I guess that when you're hooked you're hooked (mind the pun).

So went looking for spyderco dive knife reviews I came arround these results review and to my surprise the plain edge performed just as good or even better then the SE. I always assumed that SE would out performe PE.

So i wondered what the experiences are here concerning SE and PE spyderco's cutting rope, nylon, monofiliment, typical fishing/marine stuf.

What is better SE or PE or does it have the same result. I'm talking about both the knives being sharp. I don't mind sharpening more or less it's kind of relaxing.

Dino
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If it was me. I would buy this:

If monofilament was the typical medium I needed to cut it would be the Jumpmaster or this:

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

For a seagoing/wet/dive knife I'd always pick H1, and 99% of the time I'd go with SE, especially since Spyderco puts a generous PE tip on most of the SE blades. This way, detail cutting is not left out and you get the ferocious cutting ability of SE.

To add to xceptnl's exceptional recommendations, I'll throw in the discontinued models Aqua Salt and Caspian Salt:

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

For diving and rafting, I would go with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Atlantic ... antic+salt
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That or get an Atlantic Salt and have someone like River City Sheaths do a custom kydex with it in the open position. That's a ton of teeth cutting on each draw cut.
Holland

Post by Holland »

im pretty sure W&W still has the aqua salt for sale but i could be wrong.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

H1 SE Enuff was reportedly coming soon
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Aqua Salts are some of my all-time favorite Spydies. I believe Sal designed this knife. If you can find one of these with black or yellow handle you won't be disappointed. Feels "just right" in the hand. A truly exceptional knife.... PE or SE and no rust. Pictures don't do it justice. The more you use it, the better it gets. Thank you Sal and Spyderco for a knife that has given me so much pleasure to use.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

SE. If you cut plastic-y rope with a PE blade, you'll be kicking yourself for not using SE. +1 for the H1 Enuff.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
dino

Post by dino »

That is what i also assumed that is why these results surprised me (link lost in original post sorry)
review
Even with plastiki ropes the pe needed just as much pulls or less...
MLR

Post by MLR »

dino wrote:That is what i also assumed that is why these results surprised me (link lost in original post sorry)
review
Even with plastiki ropes the pe needed just as much pulls or less...

this is a somewhat silly review, as it only tests factory sharpness. when PE loses its bite, you're going to wish you had SE. stick with SE unless you need clean straight cuts. if you do, go PE, but realize that you'll have to maintain a sharper edge to get good results. H1 requires more edge maintenance than most other high-end steels. given that its hard to sharpen underwater, i'd go SE every time.

ps, i wouldnt consider titanium in any form a worthy cutlery metal.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Notice that the review specified a sharp plain edge. A dull plain edge is worthless compared to a dull Spyder edge, IMO.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Ranger908

Post by Ranger908 »

I have made a number of dives with my Atlantic Salt. I like it because it fits into my shorty wetsuit pocket with nothing exposed (clip removed). It is easy to reach and deploy. I don't like anything on my dive gear that could catch on a line in zero vis, so it works for me.
"I am right 98% of the time, the other 3% I don't worry about"
dino

Post by dino »

Thank you all

So in short out of the box there is no difference, but later on the SE keep its edge longer and thus be more efficient. And if the ropes would be wet there would also be a difference.
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

Just got an Aqua today in SE. You will not be disappointed if this is your choice.