Don't create a burr

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Zenith wrote:I agree with you. A while back I was adamant on creating a burr while sharpening and since then also try to create as little burr as possible.

I mean take a look at this image and the scale it is. I was wrong with my previous mention of 200um

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanofab/83 ... /lightbox/

At this stage, giving some thought to what I said previously I have to start asking if what we see at the edge might be carbides or such sticking out and not even be a burr?

If we take into consideration that carbides in O1 can be 0.7um (have a look at this link http://www.hypefreeblades.com/files/schneiden.pdf) at some point we will get carbides at the very apex.

I might be missing the pot completely with my interpretation, but would be willing to discuss.
Would be nice to hear Cliffy's take on this too. :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Great thread, Jack.

One thing I've found useful is following my progress with a 40x loupe. I can "project" when I'm going to reach the edge pretty well.

Ken
玉鋼
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Creating a burr seems to be more suited for hand sharpening on a benchstone, because it's the only way you know you've hit the edge given you can't hold the blade at a perfect angle, and you don't know what the previous angle is. With croc stick type sharpener the angle is a lot more accurate/repeatable so you can be confident that with x number of swipe per side will hit the edge.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The sharpmaker with its hollow plastic base that you hold with your hand... Does help "feel" and hear what is going on.

For anyone who has a sharpening method that doesn't easily support alternating strokes, I recommend trying the sharpmaker. It is relatively cheap, and it is quick to setup and easy to use.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sharpening along the stone like you were slicing off a piece of the stone, means that no burr will be present, as it should be left behind on the stone and water or oil slurry...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I mean no burr visible with a high power flashlight :p :)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I started using the DMT Aligner before I read about burrs. I do five strokes on each side, then switch.

I'm satisfied with my results so far.