Dragonfly2 or persistence?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
airsoftgun99

Dragonfly2 or persistence?

Post by airsoftgun99 »

I've been debating between the dragonfly 2, tenacious, and the persistence. I want a basic EDC knife, under 3 inches, and under 50 bucks. I know about the Byrd series, can anyone get me on the right track there? I'm gearing toward the dragonfly2, but I need you advice. Thanks.

nate
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Personally I like the look of the G10 green dragonfly .
Just has a touch more class than the other .
Although the persistence is a great blade , I have all tenacious models .
And just got the Resilience but I'd bet the persistence will be about longer than the g10 DF.
But there is a price difference and the question of locks .
Can you stretch to the DF ? Here its a big chunk more than the other.
The Tenacious is just about the best Value folder out there **** it is the best.
Depending on your pou the tenacious will offer more versatility and the PS even more so.
Its a hard choice because here the G10 DF costs what you'd pay for the Tenacious and the persistence.
That probably hasn't helped a great deal but you won't go wrong with any of them ;) .

Edit: the Tenacious isn't sub 3" though ?.
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Go with the Dragonfly, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I enjoy VG10 a good deal more than 8cr and only really see Spyderco's Chinese line as suitable for a first foray into the knife world -- which may be your case.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

My vote is for the Dragonfly 2. It's a great knife.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have the G10 Dragonfly and it was worth every penny. I carry it everyday, everywhere, regardless of what else I may or may not have. It is a good all-around choice and the G10 gives enough traction to use a long grip if you need extra reach. I do have on order the orange DF but I will wait until it gets here to make a comment on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
endgame

Post by endgame »

G-10 green dragonfly is awesome get that Imo it blows away the persistance.its the knife that got me into spydies.such a cool blade stlye very eyecatching and versitile.just a perfect edc.get the g-10 and the h-1 serrated carry one in each pocket. No task that cant be overcome
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you get a Dragonfly, you will NOT be disappointed! Simple as that. Great little knife that cuts way bigger than it is.

By the way, endgame, how are you liking your's?
- best wishes, Jazz.
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

Hi, I have the Persistence and the Dragonfly FRN (ZDP-189).

For a non-knife person, the Persistence looks more sophisticated and expensive than the Dragonfly (and apart from the steel, it is indeed - G-10, Steel liners, phosphorous-bronze washers...). Snapping the Persistence open is much more satisfying than with the Dragonfly FRN. It flies open with a resolute and loud "clak", whereas the Dragonfly, having no washers and having a much lighter blade has a more sedated operation.

On the other hand, the Dragonfly FRN is MUCH lighter, the wire clip (in my opinion) is better and more discrete (my Persistence came with the clip so stiff that I was afraid it would trash my pockets), and so small you can wear it in the coin "sub-pocket" (is there a name for that?). It is also less likely to scare people around you.

So if you are looking for a small blade which will not scare nor impress too much, the Dragonfly is a winner (and below $50 you can get the VG-10 FRN).

If weight does not matter, and you don't mind the higher "scare factor", then it's the Persistence or Tenacious.

Also, if you are a "steel aficionado" the Dragonfly has more options in higher-end steels (ZDP-189, VG-10), and if you don't ever want to remember cleaning the blade after cutting something salty/acid without worrying about corrosion, there's the Dragonfly H-1.

Chances are, you are actually deciding now which one you'll buy FIRST. Once you are addicted, there's not stopping.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

That's an easy one, Dragonfly :D
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

Dragonfly....good steel, feels great in the hand, carries nicely. If you can up the budget slightly, I would recommend the G10 version. Just my preference over the FRN handle.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

D'fly
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

The FRN Dragonfly has been my favorite EDC because of the light weight, usable size, & excellent wire clip. If you can stretch your budget a little, you can even get the ZDP-189 model which is outstanding.
Holland

Post by Holland »

The frn Dfly2's are one of my favourite knives. Highly recommend it!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Dragonfly 2. It hasn't once not been in my pocket when I needed it.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have no interest in a Persistence, but I do have two DF2s. Fabulous design and execution, if smaller than I prefer. But the H1 was the only knife I took to the Caribbean last year.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dragonfly 2 all the way.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Looks like the consensus is for the Dragonfly :)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

D-Fly all day long. Better steel and IMHO, a more preferable lock.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't own one but would be tempted to lean towards the G10 Cat. A bit more sophistication to the Persistance and a bit more tactile quality to the Dragonfly2.

I adore FRN but to many it seems a bit cheaper feeling (probably because it is! ;) ).
endgame

Post by endgame »

My h-1 is holding up great on the surf fishing seen the serrated edge cuts like no other and not a spec of rust.I have the green g-10 and just got another today I love it so much. The nijishin fiber is for when I wear my nice close very clasy.the g-10 is a history maker just outstanding looks feels and cutting prowess.the blade looks so cool. The full flat grind thickens towards the spine and cuts like a dream.I'm not mocking the persistanc just get a dragonfly first.heck gettem both.