upgrading your washers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

upgrading your washers?

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Are there better washers for the pm2? If so, where can you find them?

Thanks
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

or even just replacements... i think one of mine is misshapen or bent
Barman

Post by Barman »

I don't know about better but Knife Kits has washers.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=60_87
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Unless you have the exact dimensions and can match them from a knife parts supplier, you're better off calling Spyderco and seeing if they'll bend the rules and send you the washers.

There really isn't any upgrade from phosphor bronze.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would also like to know a source for thicker washers. I believe some knives like the Para 2 could benefit from some custom fit washers to fine tune side to side blade play. Even if I had to and sand/polish them down to a particular thickness, I would if I had a source for the right size washers.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Most Para2s can have lateral play adjusted with the pivots. I've got 13 of them, and my adult sons have several more, and none of them has unadjustable lateral play, although I know that there are knives with that problem. In that case, a thicker washer is IMHO a better idea than trying to fit the pivot by hand, but tracking down the right size would probably be a PITA. :( There are a couple of parts vendors that have a pretty big selection - they might have something that would work. I think I'd start with USAKnifemaker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:Most Para2s can have lateral play adjusted with the pivots. I've got 13 of them, and my adult sons have several more, and none of them has unadjustable lateral play, although I know that there are knives with that problem. In that case, a thicker washer is IMHO a better idea than trying to fit the pivot by hand, but tracking down the right size would probably be a PITA. :( There are a couple of parts vendors that have a pretty big selection - they might have something that would work. I think I'd start with USAKnifemaker.

Yeah any play can be tuned out by the pivot at the sacrifice of a free swinging blade. I think with the right washer tolerance you could crank down the pivot completely and gave a free moving blade and no play at all. Ill live with a tiny bit of play for a free swinging blade but I think I could get both with the right washers.
~David
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I know it has a totally different locking system, but I've been able to get my BM 710 to have barely any play and swing freely, although it takes some experimentation. One interesting thing, though, is that the washers are massive compared to the washers on my Delica and Stretch, in both diameter and thickness. Do any of you know how that might affect play/swinging?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

I've found that darn near any knife (well, any GOOD knife) can swing freely if you make sure the lock isn't affecting the blade at all. The only exception I can think of is my Emerson.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:Yeah any play can be tuned out by the pivot at the sacrifice of a free swinging blade. I think with the right washer tolerance you could crank down the pivot completely and gave a free moving blade and no play at all. Ill live with a tiny bit of play for a free swinging blade but I think I could get both with the right washers.
You probably know this, but whether/how easily the blade swings on a PM2 depends not only on the pivot adjustment but on the stop pin screws.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:You probably know this, but whether/how easily the blade swings on a PM2 depends not only on the pivot adjustment but on the stop pin screws.
Yeah I have a post here about modding the stop pin to tune out play and it did work for a time but it's still there ever so slightly. Most people would say there isn't any but compared to my Manix 2 it's pretty noticeable for me.
~David
vtvman

Post by vtvman »

I would love a para 2 on bearings :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vtvman wrote:I would love a para 2 on bearings :D
I don't think it's completely necessary in an effort to eliminate play, but I agree I would love to see the Southard pivot on a Para 2. My only complaint there is more moving parts usually equals more potential for failure, but in time we'll see if there are any complaints with the Southard.
~David
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Evil D wrote:I don't think it's completely necessary in an effort to eliminate play, but I agree I would love to see the Southard pivot on a Para 2. My only complaint there is more moving parts usually equals more potential for failure, but in time we'll see if there are any complaints with the Southard.
Caged bearings usually outlast washers. I've never opened and closed a knife a million times to test, but I work in a manufacturing environment and it's easy to see first hand that bearings are an improvement over washers in a mechanism that has to stay within tolerances while rotating frequently.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bpeezer wrote:Caged bearings usually outlast washers. I've never opened and closed a knife a million times to test, but I work in a manufacturing environment and it's easy to see first hand that bearings are an improvement over washers in a mechanism that has to stay within tolerances while rotating frequently.
Sure, but let's keep this in perspective. I've been reading knife forums for quite a few years and I don't think I've ever read a post about failure of even "inferior" washers like nylon or Nylatron, much less phosphor bronze. For most knives, maybe for all knives, ball bearing systems are an expensive solution to a non-existent problem.
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

JNewell wrote:Sure, but let's keep this in perspective. I've been reading knife forums for quite a few years and I don't think I've ever read a post about failure of even "inferior" washers like nylon or Nylatron, much less phosphor bronze. For most knives, maybe for all knives, ball bearing systems are an expensive solution to a non-existent problem.
I'm just saying that if those washers aren't failing, the bearings aren't going to fail either. Also, bearings aren't expensive at all and give a substantial improvement in pivot feel IMHO