First Ladybug, then Delica & Sharpmaker. What's next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
appliancejunk

First Ladybug, then Delica & Sharpmaker. What's next?

Post by appliancejunk »

Don't really need another knife as I think my Delica4 Flat Ground PlainEdge Knife (Blue) is perfect.

Love everything about the Delica and after seeing how easy it was to sharpen up on my new Sharpmaker this morning I love it even more!

But...

I'm thinking of getting a spare Delica. But should I get the exact same one as I got now or one with a different color handle, different blade or steel maybe?

I think a Delica 4 in H1 would be cool or a Delica 4 (blue) with a damascus blade would be awesome, but I can't seem to find such animals.
Holland

Post by Holland »

One of the salts is very close in design to the delica. Is recommend getting a dragonfly salt serrated tho. I love mine :D

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

How about a ZDP-189 Delica, a Lil Matriarch (same size and handle, different blade shape), or a Delica with the Emerson Wave in the bluish-gray color. I have the Foliage Green Delica, which is sabre grind and is a combo edge, and I love it. That's my $.02 worth. :)
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If it was me instead of you:

If I had a Ladybug and a Delica4 and those were the only two Spyderco's I have, I would NOT get another Delica. I'm assuming you want another knife to carry and use, not one "just in case" you loose your Delica. I would want a knife to carry at the same time (or alone) that would be for a different set of cutting needs. Example: I have a Chaparral in my FR poclet. I would only carry another Chaparral if it was different relating to cutting needs. NOT a difference based on appearance or blade steel. I would get a larger knife. I have a Sage4 and a GB that I will carry with my Chaparral. When I go to the mail box I have my Chaparral to open mail on my way back to my house (about 100'). There is a tree that I may walk under while reading my letter explaining the $1,000,000 lottery check. If I need to cut a small branch I would use my GB or Sage4. Or maybe you would rather get an Endura, Delica's big brother. My next pruchase (if I were in your shoes) would be based on cutting needs that may be tougher than the Delica would be ideal for. Of course, the Delica4 is capable of cutting the small limb I'm thinking about but you probably catch my drift. My suggestion would also refer to a smaller knife than the Delica4 to use in public places or whatever. Since you already have a Ladybug the smaller knife is covered so go shopping for a tougher knife, Manix2 maybe?

Just my thoughts.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I think you may really like the Salt 1, seeing that you're a fan of the Delica. I have one in PE and absolutely love the darn thing. On a completely different note, you may also want to look at the Manbugs. I picked up the ZDP-189 version a while ago (featuring the British Racing Green FRN handle) and it has quickly become one of my favorites. If you like the Ladybug, you'll love the Manbug!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

appliancejunk wrote:Don't really need another knife as I think my Delica4 Flat Ground PlainEdge Knife (Blue) is perfect.
I used to carry two Delicas: blue ZDP and SS SE and absolutely loved them. Until one day I bought Black micarta C83 Persian. Which kicked-out SS SE out of the pocket. A month later G10 Caly3 kick-out of the pocket second Delica. Never carried Delicas after that.
I am not saying that Delica is not as good as some other knives, but I am saying that this is not a bad idea to try some other designs. After carrying Persian and Caly, I never carried knives without choil, except small gent knives like Moki. If you have funds, instead of getting second Delica get something with choil: Native, Native5, Caly, or Manix LW. And see how you like them. Keep eyes open on BF classified. You can get there lightly used knife for less.
Good Luck,
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Get a Dragonfly or Manix lightweight. :)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Tasman H1 Salt SE
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I remember when I bought my Manix2. Right there, I could have been done, it was perfect.
That was a year ago this week.
Now I own 14 Spydercos.
Good luck stopping with the Delica4 :D
-GT
Holland

Post by Holland »

Definitely good to experiment with different designs. I have tried around 15 different models, and right now my current favourites are in my signature.

Also, +1 to buying lightly used secondhand knives of BF or some other knife forum. You can get great deals of them
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

An Endura is undoubtedly the logical progression, but a Manix 2 would also be good. The Sage series would be another good bet.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would suggest a Military, Para Military or something that catches your fancy from the USA Earth point of manufacture.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stretch!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

If your main desire is to test out different steels, then you should probably stick to the Delica and get one in ZDP and Super Blue (this is coming this year, I believe).

If you are interested in trying out different designs, then the Caly 3.5 is a must-have. ;)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Something bigger, more expensive, and with higher-end materials :D

Another vote for the Manix or the Military.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Stretch!
Second!