Spyderco Warranty and Repair is lacking in communication...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'll preface this with the fact that nobody here is a direct target of my post. It's not a passive-aggressive backhand, promise :)

Most of the problem of the shill vs "real" forum talk is that some group thread-starters into only two roles.

* Praising a product = fanboy
* Knocking a product = troll

I've never had a problem with intelligent discourse from either side of a review. A post like this from KBR is definitely deemed one of these.

Likewise, a review that doesn't address any flaws (or even preferences) is just oozing with Pollyannaism. With a modicum of empathy someone can be a supporter or opponent of something or someone's view without automatically becoming a hero or villain in a Western movie.

It is possible to attack a product or service and not be a troll but rather someone trying to bring about change. Even when typed the intent is very clear, especially with the type of responses that opposition brings. I still believe that the best course of action is through the W&R department via phone and/or email while keeping careful notes. It's typically fastest and if done without losing composure the highest likelyhood of "over and above" service.

Again, that is no knock to KBR per the incident or approach.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Thanks. :) Discussion does tend to be non-linear. :eek: :D
Dr. Balloon

Post by Dr. Balloon »

I also had a terrible experience with spyderco's warranty department. I ordered a red delica, and I apparently got a defect. I ordered from cutlery shoppe, so returning it was a breeze, but the knife came with holes in it and so dull it was laughable. Before i tried to return it, I contacted spyderco. The women I spoke to called me a "dumb*ss" on the phone, and hung up without explaining to me the problem or what could be done about it. Because of the terrible customer service I just opted to return the knife instead and buy a benchmade.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Dr. Balloon wrote:I also had a terrible experience with spyderco's warranty department. I ordered a red delica, and I apparently got a defect. I ordered from cutlery shoppe, so returning it was a breeze, but the knife came with holes in it and so dull it was laughable. Before i tried to return it, I contacted spyderco. The women I spoke to called me a "dumb*ss" on the phone, and hung up without explaining to me the problem or what could be done about it. Because of the terrible customer service I just opted to return the knife instead and buy a benchmade.
Did you order this model? :o http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/delica4lwt ... drone.aspx
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Dr. Balloon wrote:I also had a terrible experience with spyderco's warranty department. I ordered a red delica, and I apparently got a defect. I ordered from cutlery shoppe, so returning it was a breeze, but the knife came with holes in it and so dull it was laughable. Before i tried to return it, I contacted spyderco. The women I spoke to called me a "dumb*ss" on the phone, and hung up without explaining to me the problem or what could be done about it. Because of the terrible customer service I just opted to return the knife instead and buy a benchmade.
Unless it is 1st April...I guess that you bought a Delica Trainer? :confused:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Beat me to it, Tdog...
Dr. Balloon

Post by Dr. Balloon »

why yes it is, thanks
BAL

Post by BAL »

We all know that this didn;t happen, but if anyone called you that name, then they hit it right
out of the park. I am sure that this would not have been the first time either. Just old hat to you.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Wow, the possibly misunderstood sarcasm here is thick enough to spread on a sammich.. Much like peanut butter..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Dr. Balloon wrote:why yes it is, thanks
As humor, or rather as a poor attempt at humor, this is completely inappropriate. :mad:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

defenestrate wrote:Wow, the possibly misunderstood sarcasm here is thick enough to spread on a sammich.. Much like peanut butter..
I can't believe it took this long for peanut butter to come up. This could be a great code word. At summer camp in my early scouting years, the word "help" was not allowed around the lake when practicing rescue scenarios for fear of confustion. We instead had to yell pineapple when faking drowning. Maybe peanut butter should be the new pineapple. :)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dr. Balloon wrote:...I ordered a red delica, and I apparently got a defect. ... but the knife came with holes in it and so dull it was laughable.
I laughed as well when I got mine. The extra holes totally confused me I didn't know which to open the knife with. :rolleyes:
*Landon*
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

I have a number of the trainers. It isn't as uncommon as you might think to show them to someone and get a horrible reaction about the poor quality of the knife. The best way to respond to this is make a "speed hole" argument Simpson's style. The challenge is how long you can stay seriously trying to defend the holes in the blade, the lack of any grind, ... .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Getting wrapped on the knuckles with a 2oz knife hurts less than a 3oz one? ;) Worse yet, a Temperance trainer, lol.

The Spyderco trainers are impressive compared to dulled live-blades and plastic knives, plus you won't confuse them with a live blade. They definitely aren't sparring tools; at least not with two tenacious people.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Like I said in reply #1, I had a knife away for warranty.

I got it back yesterday. I wrote a semi-long letter describing my problem, got no phone call or anything. It took a few weeks to get back, but it's back and they did a good job.

They hand wrote a note at the top, "Sorry for the delay." I believe the note is feedback from this thread as, there was little to no delay with my experience.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blerv wrote:Getting wrapped on the knuckles with a 2oz knife hurts less than a 3oz one? ;) Worse yet, a Temperance trainer, lol.

The Spyderco trainers are impressive compared to dulled live-blades and plastic knives, plus you won't confuse them with a live blade. They definitely aren't sparring tools; at least not with two tenacious people.
Some of the guys I occasionally train with mentioned to me a story about how they were using trainers... and one hit a guy right on the inside of the elbow and completely separated his bicep. >.<
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote: ..and completely separated his bicep. >.<
Ouch!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Cliff Stamp wrote:I have a number of the trainers. It isn't as uncommon as you might think to show them to someone and get a horrible reaction about the poor quality of the knife. The best way to respond to this is make a "speed hole" argument Simpson's style. The challenge is how long you can stay seriously trying to defend the holes in the blade, the lack of any grind, ... .
This is easily fixed. Just get the D3 trainer. :spyder: Just one hole in that one.
KBR

Post by KBR »

Donut wrote:Like I said in reply #1, I had a knife away for warranty.

I got it back yesterday. I wrote a semi-long letter describing my problem, got no phone call or anything. It took a few weeks to get back, but it's back and they did a good job.

They hand wrote a note at the top, "Sorry for the delay." I believe the note is feedback from this thread as, there was little to no delay with my experience.
Glad to see that you didn't have any difficulty with your situation Donut and I take it that yours may have required some repair? Three weeks, or so, was the same for the two previous experiences that I've had that were many years ago.

In this case, however, I'm getting my old knife replaced....one that Spyderco has had for going on seven weeks.....and they still can't seem to get that right, taking almost two weeks to just ship a completely different knife via ups that will add another week on top of that.

I called Spyderco again last week and spoke with someone in management, that had assured me that he would look into the problem, and he completely agreed that there should be a line of communication when knives are sent in for warranty/repair work. And even though I was told that the knife would be shipped last week, I'm still not sure if it even was....again, nothing letting me know if it has or not.

Spyderco really dropped the ball on this one...

****Edited to add, 4/12/13****

It turns out that my new Techno was waiting for me when I got to the office this morning.....ups delivered it yesterday after I had left work. Would have been nice to know it was on the way but all in all, I'm relieved to have all of this behind me now. This bad experience won't stop me from buying Spyderco knives but I just hope that I won't have to deal with warranty and repair for another ten years or so, which is about how long it's been since I dealt with them the last time. I sincerely hope that any of you that might have an issue and need to deal with them have a quicker outcome than I did...
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I hope the knife gives you many years of service. I have wanted one since I first saw the picture and read the specs. No joy my bank account says though. Enjoy it for me and the others who would love to have one. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"