In a true emergency, could one "stake their life" on a Byrd Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

In a true emergency, could one "stake their life" on a Byrd Knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Byrd knives are very good for the economical price range and has Spyderco quality all over it. Honest question to those who know: In an emergency, say where you had to cut yourself out of a seatbelt in a submerged vehicle, or where you had to escape a burning building, or where you were lost in the woods and it became your sole survival knife, would you say the Byrd knife steel and construction would be dependable, like one of the pricier Spyderco knives?

r small

Post by r small »

Byrds are solid well made knives. Should be just as dependable as Spydercos. But Spydercos are more refined which is why alot of us prefer them. They just exude quality.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I would rather have the Spyderco. :)
:spyder:
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I'm sure those knives are good enough for most of tasks, just the steel used and finish aren't as "nice" as many Spydercos. In any case if you're concerned about the tool at your disposal in an emergency just expend that extra $. A Delica costs twice a Meadowlark, which is only $30.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think you can.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Of course, they are high performance tools as mentioned with a touch less F&F. That also doesn't mean the death-defying situation a $500 custom wouldn't have the blade snap in half. It's what you are doing and how you are doing it.

I know of far more situations where not having a knife has resulted in death or dismemberment. Cheap ones that perform well technically increases the chances it would be clipped to your visor or in your tool kit in such a situation.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

As long as you don't do anything with it that a knife can't handle. Byrds have 'inferior' steel and F&F, but they are designed by Spyderco and I hear nothing but good things about them. I'd take a Byrd over pretty much any other knife of equivalent price, except maybe a Mora.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Byrd knives are a fine.
I use mine whenever the cutting job is combined with a risk of scratching or bending/breaking (I know, could be regarded as misuse) it so I won`t use thinner and more refined :spyder: s.
The blades don`t taper as much on CaraCara and Meadowlark compared to Endura/Delica so very detailed tipwork or fine slicing is not where they excel. They seem more clumsy but hold the edge quite well+are easy to sharpen (reprofiled the CaraCara in the time I would spend on a ZDP knife to sharpen the existing grind). Also the steel (probably because tough use and poor maintenance come together) did rust on some of them so now I keep them dry and at room temperature, not in my car (but same with VG10 and M390).
For car emergencies I have a Saver Salt which is spared for the emergency which hopefully never comes.
Donut

Post by Donut »

There was a guy on here that used a Cara Cara Rescue for working on a boat, he believed it worked better than the Spyderco counterpart for him.

I'd have to search for the thread, though, to see the full report.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Its the User not the knife once you understand that you can understand d a butter knife can help you in a life or death situation.yes a byrde could cut right threw a seatbelt if it was maintained and you new hoe to cut.another thing some people can cut or stab properly. You stab a knife into someone and it hits bone and you font pull it out straight it can break.I have a Byrd knife that is verry well built it has no name a liner lock fluted or ridged frn and a 2 1/2 inch teardrops blade. I got it with no box all it has is Byrd on the blade and China on the other side.both sides of the blade are also sharpened not like my meadowlark or cara cara.I would trust this blade anytime best Byrd I ever had.anyone no wich one it is.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Its the crow.man I love this knife. Why the heck would you discontinue it.so solid
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Yeah, you could rely on one if you absolutely had to. Byrd knives still have, for lack of a better term, Sal's DNA in them.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
GSO

Post by GSO »

When someone says "stake your life" on a folding a knife, I always read that as "will the lock hold up?" I always think that's the first and critical point for a folding knife to fail you. Unless the task is outright prying, I don't give much concern to the blade snapping in half.

I think a byrd locks just as well a Spyderco. Knife shouldn't fail, so I could stake my life on it. Now if I did find myself in the wilderness with just a Cara Cara 2 for a couple of days, I would prioritize finding a smooth river stone to keep my edge sharp.
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

I'm with GSO. I think the main difference is the steel in the blade, which is 8cr13mov. It's a great bang for buck steel if you're on a budget. I can't see a Byrd lock fail since most of it are lockback designs. With that said, didn't the guy from 127 hours cut himself free from a knockoff leatherman? What I'm trying to say is that in an emergency, a dull knife is better than no knife. Just get whatever you can afford
metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

Push came to shove I would risk everything with a broken bottle. Gotta use what you have and you cant be ready for everything
I would have no issue using a Byrd.
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In a true emergency, I could stake my life on a butter knife. Any blade is better than NO blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eee

Post by Eee »

I'm sure I recall Sal saying the lock strength on the Cara cara was in the same range as the Endura. My Catbyrd is built like a tank. The Pivot is the same as a Military and the Lockbar heavier than a Gayle Badley. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was my strongest folder.
You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Evil D wrote:In a true emergency, I could stake my life on a butter knife. Any blade is better than NO blade.
If all I had was a butter-knife, I'd use it as a kubaton. It's a little hard to spread someone to death. :D
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

I carry my Raven and my Crow alot. Mostly because I don't want to scratch up my "nicer" knives. They both have nice sharp edges and would cut most anything I could think of to cut with a pocket knife. Yes, when push came to shove I would definitely trust a Byrd in an "emergency" situation.